1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Search] - Handyman/General Construction for house

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck88, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Guys need some help - I recently purchased a home thru a mortgage company. I got a very good deal on the home because it was a foreclosure and needs some work. I was wondering if anyone knew or could suggest and contractor or handyman to help out on some of the repair/upgrades I can't do myself.

Obviously I can paint and such, but some things I want done I would feel better getting a "pro" to do. Such things as crown molding, granite countertops, sheetrock work, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. My options right now all come from the greensheet which is fine and I'm comfortable going that route but if anyone here might know someone I'd like to talk with them.

Thanks

2. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

That's cool. How did you go about finding the foreclosure?

3. Buck88

Actually I got real lucky on the house. It’s in the neighborhood my parents live in and my stepfather knows a guy who works for the mortgage company. Long story short I made a deal with them before it went up for auction. A little underhanded because I believe those house are supposed to go up for auction by law. I've been to those things the 1st Tuesday of every month at the Family law center. I'm telling you I would have had to pay double if I had to do it that way. I got it for what was left on the loan + 15% - they paid on it a pretty good while so it wasn't too bad.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What neighborhood....I can tell you who not to use, but that's a long story that just gets my blood boiling! And from that experience, I can tell you to be very very very picky about who you choose. Even with a lot of research, you can still end up with a painful process.

5. Buck88

The neighborhood is Greenwood Forest. Its the northside - 1960 and Champions area.

6. TexasEx

TexasEx Member

I'm actually looking for a handyman to fix my ceiling fan (its on a 40 foot tall elevated ceiling in my living room attached to a 20 ft. long pole to bring it closer to the occupants.) All I know is that is shorted during a power surge during Hurricane Rita last year and I've never gotten it fixed...Don't even know if its wiring issues or the fan itself. I don't even know who to talk to about something so obscure.

I'm also looking for someone to put in marble tiles and granite countertops.

All on a house smack dab in the middle of the Galleria.

Anyone got recommendations?

7. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

Buck,

email me.

I know lots of professional honest people who can do the work that you require. I design pools, but our company frequently subcontracts remodelers and folks who build all kinds of things. I have two people I can recommend immediately who would possibly be available. I suggest having a list ready of exactly which jobs you want done as there would certainly have to be a minimum of work required for these folks to come out.

You can email me through this site and I would be happy to provide a couple of names and numbers.

Cheers,
    Brock

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

We'll come visit you in jail, Martha. :D

Congratulations. A friend of my brother owns a busness in Houston called Handyman Connection. They can provide you with reliable, bonded craftsmen.