1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Screw for motherboard

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, May 16, 2017.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I need a screw to secure an m.2 SSD I added to a desktop. For some reason the motherboard does not have a screw in there for me to use, and locating this god-damned screw has taken 4 days (and counting).

Anyone know where in northwest Houston or Memorial I can find this stupid piece of ****? I've gone to 8 stores and have called others, for this god forsaken screw that can't cost more than a penny.

I'd rather not drive to Microcenter or Fry's (mainly because I don't even know if they have them*). There's a huge computer parts/tools store right off 290 and Eldridge called Altex but they actually didn't have it either.

It's a M2 x 3mm screw (CM2X3-3.3). That's the size I need. I can buy it online at moddiy dot com but wanted to just pick it up at a store.

Already tried:

Lowe's
    Home Depot
    Radio Shack (2)
    Altex
    Best Buy
    Acer.com (it's an Acer)
    A couple of those sketchy phone/computer repair places in strip centers

I will kiss whoever can help me with this.

*I called Microcenter and someone at their nationwide call center said they have a 24 pack of these screws in their store, but I don't see them in stock online.

#1 Haymitch, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Fry's, Microcenter, and Altex will have them. Fry's for sure will have them in bulk/parts. For Altex or Microcenter, you probably would have to buy an SSD bracket which it'd come with the screws.

That's a computer part. Go to a computer store. You're not going to find it at a home improvement or general electronics store.

3. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

You should try Goodwill Computer Works. There is one at 59 and Beechnut. They should have tons of random computer parts and the clerk would be able to locate a screw for you.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I tried Altex. They didn't have it. That's in my OP twice.

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, on a side note you might be able to get a 2/2.5 (shorter to work temporarily), but I agree with you the m.2 screw is a major PITA to find, all brands and manufacturers cheap out unless they include the drive (have to save a penny some where...), cheap asses :)

Obviously as per your post MC/Frys, maybe goodwill comp store (which was mentioned), but it's such a specialty screw that if the first 2 don't have it and a shorter one doesn't work as a temp fix, unfortunately online might be it.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Unfortunately since it's an M2 ssd, it's not as easy as a normal ssd, I've had trouble finding this one as well. But yeah, definitely agree w/ computer store :)

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lastly, at Frys you might get lucky and they'll just give you one from the desktop mobo displays.. Might get lucky :)

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm just calling around to various small computer repair/parts stores right now. Mostly the response is, "uhhh maybe. We have a lot of screws. Bring your desktop and we'll see what we can make fit." No thanks to that.

It's really bizarre that Acer didn't include the screw AND won't even sell me one. What in the hell.

I might try the Fry's up near Spring. That's just a long-ass drive for this damn screw.

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Hey, screw yer mother too buddy.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Try Fastenal. They are open to the public. Im not sure if they will sell you one.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm saying you'll find the screws in a mounting hardware kit. You'll find them at computer stores but a minimum wage employee wouldn't know what that is so you'd need to know how to find it on your own.

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Oh. Now I see.

Ended up just going to Fry's. Bought an 80 pack with various sizes. Unfortunately the box doesn't label which screws are which size, so I'll just have to figure it out.

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I agree with you, major pain to find this one. Let us know if you get lucky somewhere, I was considering an m2 drive recently.

Haymitch likes this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Ah nice

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Based on the title, I though @Haymitch had come upon some hard times. Glad to see I was wrong!

Haymitch likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm not ruling anything out. I need a good computer.

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Every time I see the thread title I read it as, "Screw for Motherhood" and lol.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I bought a bunch like that a year or so ago. Fry's in Stafford stopped using actual mother boards as the displays and instead switched to printed images. And in doing so, they basically gave them away. Bought a bunch of ~$200-300 boards for around 50 each...sold most, kept 1 for my rig.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. VanityHalfBlack

When I saw Screw and Mother in the thread title I immediately thought of @Jontro?

Jontro likes this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That is where they moved. . . . . .

Man . . . .. They on the Stroll .. . .. for a Motherboard

Rocket River