1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

scott brooks: everybody has reponsibility on both sides of the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fighton, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Fighton

Fighton Member

just read this quote by scott brooks:

"On what set the tone defensively:

“Well, there was a couple of things that we focus on and that is making sure everybody is in a defensive stance. We can’t have four guys playing and one guy watch. That’s why we’re a good team, and everybody has a responsibility on both sides of the ball. We don’t have one-way players. I thought our guys gave us great energy to start the game, and the second unit came in and did the same. It’s a team effort. We focus on all the team things that are important to us and the little things that are important to us like blocking out at the free throw line. I thought that was good tonight. Those are the little things that we consider add up to big things.”

with our free flowing, "we don't even know what we're doing" offense, i can't help but think that somehow translates to defense as well. based on the quote above, if this is what we want to become, we're soooooo far from it.

- four guys playing and one guy watching on D? happens all the time.
    - everybody has a responsibility on both sides of the ball? on O, besides delfino shooting the three and harden shooting at will, i can't really define or picture what others' roles are on O.

i get that with a young team playing together for the first time, you give them a fun system where they get a lot freedom within certain set of structure. but i hope that next year, with one year of experience and film, the team will be able to define the roles a little better, both on O and D, and start holding each other accountable to their responsibilities.

1 person likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Well, there was a couple of things that we focus on and that is mostly on the offensive end. We have four guys watching and one guy isoing. That’s why we’re the 8th seeded team, and not everybody has a responsibility on both sides of the ball. We have some one-way players. I didn't think our guys gave us great energy to start the game."

:p

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

5. NotChandlerParsons

I think Chris Finch is on record as saying players should basically have total freedom on offense and no freedom on defense (eg Tom Thibodeau style defense, there are set rotations and everybody needs to rotate correctly). They have definitely failed to do that this season, but are also dealing with a lot of rookies and plain bad defenders (Delfino, Harden). I think we will be fine with some personnel upgrades and a year of improvement. Our big men foul like crazy, but that is normal for inexperienced big men and almost always goes away with time.

6. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Absolutely on the coaching. No accountability on players whatsoever except for Lin of course. Mchale can't criticize Harden and when he does bench him him, he has to sit half the starters as well "just for show", so Harden doesn't think he is being singled out.

7. Fighton

Fighton Member

the total freedom on offense part bothers me, because you're assuming that the players know their limitations and will somewhat work cohesively. too many times this season we've seen guys trying to initiate fast breaks that has no business of doing so. but then again if you have a system with defined roles, that makes it that much easier for opposing D to know what to expect.

as for defense, rookies or not, after 82 games, you should at least look like you know where you should be, and see some effort in being at the right place, regardless of whether or not you have the physical ability to play good D. i mean, the help D, and defensive awareness is just horrible by some of our starters. still can't believe our defensive efficiency is 16th in the league at the end of the regular season. i'm probably just being knee-jerk'ish after the bad loss.

8. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Harden by no means is a bad defender, in some of the games where we come back, Harden shows up defensively, the problem with Harden I've seen this season, is that he only plays a quarter or so of defense. Maybe to conserve energy or keep out of foul trouble but Harden can play spots of defense, although the key to it is that you can't have spots like last night where he is guarding someone he clearly shouldn't be like Ibaka or Durant that can just shoot over his head.

1 person likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Several things...
    #1 please let me know when the Rockets have 4 guys playing defense and one guy not defending, because usually it is 2 or more Rockets being exploited because of team defense.
    #2 The Thunder are good because they have the second best player in the world, another franchise player and 3 of the top 30 role players in the NBA ... Not because of some stale philosophy quoted by a coach.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think you understand "freedom" the same way Finch does. This isn't like playing a pick up game at the gym and everyone does what they want. The Rockets have base plays, and even base plays with wrinkles.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes that's true about Harden's defense. We just need to get him to play more defense.

12. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Harden could do better on the defensive end, but I blame the the coaches for playing him too many minutes, and put too much offensive load on his shoulder. It's hard to have any energy left to chase people around when you carry that much offensive load.

13. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Thought this year the coaches wanted to work on fundamentals and all the little things?