1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[SciFi Cinema] Ridley Scott's 'Alien: Covenant'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Dec 24, 2016.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lots of spoilers in the new trailer.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes the saga between humans and machines is more plausible than humans and aliens

Though I like the prometheus story line very much.

Engineers create humans
    Humans create skynet
    sky net creates terminators to destroy humans
    engineers create aliens to destroy humans
    humans wants aliens to be used as weapons to destroy everything

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Prometheus was a mess, but I still enjoyed watching it and trying to figure out what the hell was going on after watching it. But why on earth would people go back to colonize a planet where the last crew was obliterated and never returned. If there is corn on the planet, that would make me think someone else survived other than David of course.

Think they need to start making this all fit together to reward the audience. You can't go 6 films without tying stuff together. Yet, the trailer looked awful familiar. I'm a little worried about James Franco in this movie, although I did like him in Spiderman, he's more often than not been not so good.

tinman likes this.
  4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well to be fair this isn't the same planet from Prometheus; this is I think supposed to be the "paradise" planet Shaw and David were going to search for at the end of the movie. No one back home on earth would have known where those two ended up (or that anyone survived) after the fatal events on LV-223. So I'm guessing it's purely coincidental they end up in the same location where I presume David and Shaw are.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure they are going to reveal what happened to Shaw and David.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

David - Tarzan
    Shaw - Jane
    Planet - No life except black goo pods and alien eggs
    Translation - Lots of robot/human sex, facehugging

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Things I'm wrestling with:

Is it assumed at this point that the Aliens aggressive behavior is due to
    1. Black goo part of their natural chemistry, then extracted by the engineers for weapons.
    2. Black goo being injected by the engineers to bioengineer Aliens.
    3. They are just normally aggressive
    I am wondering if all three, the engineers/humans/aliens are genetically related due to the black goo.

Given that the engineer just ripped off the head of David, are the engineers afraid of humans as much as they are afraid of the aliens, due to the fact they created us with the goo, or was the engineer infected with the goo and overly aggressive toward anything?

Did the goo lead to octopus on earth, and then indirectly to humans?

Hard time reconciling what the engineers are doing with the goo. If it is a weapon, then why create humans with it...

#67 PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  8. dmoneybangbang

The most interesting theory I've heard is the creator/destroyer one:

In the extended/uncut version you see the Engineers, robed like a religious ceremony, sacrificing oneself to seed the planet with life. Through bioengineering they released the DNA that would seed planets with life and apparently evolve into sentient beings. The Engineers would leave means for their creation to meet them, LV223, for instance. However, maybe over time some of their creation began to challenge the engineers and they became hostile. Instead of seeding life they bioengineered a weapon to destroy life. Humans having the technology to not only create androids but to travel in space maybe threatened this new brand of Engineers.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The aliens can take the DNA of whatever living thing they incubate inside. That makes me think they're more a bioweapon created by the engineers than something that naturally evolved.

I don't think that question will be fully answered in the movie though. Just "Lost-like" bits and pieces to guess over similar to the the Prometheus shitshow before it.

It's not that important a detail to cannonize anyways.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

MOAR Aliens

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I may be behind here, but is this supposed to further the plot from Prometheus?

Are David and the chick supposed to be on this planet?

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@larsv8 They will be furthering the plot from Prometheus, just more with an Alien slant. It is about the "evolution" of the alien and why they were created.

David and the chick are on the planet but we don't know more about that. I believe Rapace is only in the movie for small scene.

Also Fassbender will also play "Walter" a version of "David" that is on the Alien: Covenant ship.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Them's fightin' words, boy.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What about the one with the District 9 director and non-CGI Xenomorph though? THAT'S the one we actually want.

15. Surfguy

That one is probably dead.

My opinion is it was just too late to correct the past. To go from "Aliens" to another sequel which is basically a different timeline and without a wormhole/time travel involved while ignoring all the films after "Aliens" just seemed like a dumb idea. And, also, Weaver and Biehn are considerably older now. How were they going to account for that if they were in cryo sleep when they escaped LV whatever? "Alien 3" told us Newt and Hicks were dead...but ignore that because the movie sucked. Umm...okay.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Introducing, Walter

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

Cool Walter short, but that is a total ripoff from Westworld. I don't mind though.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I hope this movie is as good as prometheus. It takes a highly intellectual sophisticated individual to appreciate that masterpiece

19. Surfguy

Kind of a disappointing reveal imo coming from Scott at SXSW regarding David but I guess we should have seen this coming. Like it or not, Fassbender has apparently taken over this franchise and is a major cog.

David is actually engineering the aliens in his own lab on the planet and appears to be responsible for the version of the aliens we all came to know...not evolution or anything else.

Not sure why this f-ing robot is so hung up on doing what it's doing. Seems kind of silly to me that a robot has such a sinister agenda given it is a programmed machine. Not sure what the MO is?

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

New movie poster is 100!

peleincubus and GRENDEL like this.