1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Science] Cosmic inflation: 'Spectacular' discovery hailed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BDswangHTX, Mar 17, 2014.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sorry you can't follow the research. I guess, I know the research in the OP better than you. And I can explain cosmic inflation better than you.

Hmm, Depressio and fallenphoenix

There is no reason for y'all to get so defensive of science in a thread like this. Shows weakness.

Why Attack Someone's Belief System When You are Relying on one, Too

Now you are attacking someone (me) more knowledgeable of science that you for defending someone else's religious opinion who wasn't even attacking your opinion and belief system

Cosmology is rarely "Fact" , except to Laymen who Believe 100% in Science

You guys are saying Observable, Repeatable "evidence" is fact. No, it's not. Not in Cosmology. Not close. Tthe scientific method is a belief system. That's a fact,,,That's a fact proven true in many realms of physics...throughout centuries of history. Research data only helps answer it's own Hypothesis. It's does not prove them better than another Hypothesis never thought of before.

I'm saying, just like the OP research is saying,,,fact in frozen space and time is one fact. Fact in the realm of time is another.

Bottomline Example
    Conservation of energy is not fact....for instance. But it is in the narrow mind of space and time not expanding. I take it your narrow minds are not expanding in our space and time.

You see guys...I'm just flat out smarter than you. You can't beat me in a science argument...and I'm not even trying.

#81 heypartner, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. Hmm

Hmm Member

Sounds like a resounding yes... The man is indeed, drunk... or suffering some kind of episode...

3. heypartner

Let's keep this simple:

Here's a simple Physics Exam qualitative question for you.

Do you believe the Conservation of Energy is a Law? Is it possible it negates the OP's research? Explain your answer, and tie that to the OP's research paper.

#83 heypartner, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

ok buddy, keep babbling. this is starting to get amusing.

5. heypartner

You do realize I'm on the side of Science. It's what I do for a living. But I don't make fun of religious people.

Like I asked Hmm:

Do you think the Conservation of Energy is a Law? If so, why? And explain how it fits with the OP Research.

Now it's your turn to "babble." Good luck. This should be amusing.

6. fallenphoenix

nah, i don't want to talk to someone who is just condescending and belittling to people for no reason.

7. heypartner

So, you didn't strike first to sugrlndkid. Let's see...

Do you even comprehend how insulting that is to people?

So, Nah...you refusing to explain your knowledge of the OP subject is just plain bull. You dish it out, but can't take it. And you can't hang.

next

8. fallenphoenix

you're "arguments" are empty and shallow. you just go around calling people narrow minded and claiming you are so knowledgeable while you don't back it up at all. instead you just make personal attacks. i never attacked anyone or personally insulted anyone. if my views insult someone who is too insecure to handle other people's opinions that's not my problem. i don't go around calling people names and making personal attacks.

based on your posts i seriously doubt you do this for a living considering the lack of professionalism you've demonstrated in your responses. i'm not wasting any more of my time responding to you, so i'm out of here.

keep on trolling, but i won't be biting anymore. for your sake i hope your drunk posting, thanks for the laughs

9. heypartner

"I bet you Energy and Mass are a constant, and you can't create or destroy either."

"I bet you nothing can go faster than the speed of light."

"I bet you most people are interested in predicting the weather and disasters, and think Science can predict it well."

Do you want to bet on that predictions all being "No"s?!

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Why hasn't Swoley chipped in this debate yet??

11. heypartner

lols

that was easy. Another D&D'er has been chased away by us Hangout dudes. And it's so funny how he is basically saying he won't talk to me anymore because I'm only slinging pooo.

haha

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Another great and insightful thread ruined by stupid discussion about the existence of god, yay.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So basically, as for this thread, the troll FV Santiago or whomever wins and a good discussion of science loses. (le sigh).

I'll have a chance later today to post some good links to articles, and Stanford is hosting a big webcast later today to talk about how this experiment works and what these results mean for our views of cosmology.

I really suggest everyone who wants to talk religion/science stuff go back to one of the billions of threads in the D&D. That's where FV's post belonged in the first place, of course.

15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

As of right now, nothing we've discovered so far can go faster than the speed of light. Not the neutrinos they once thought went faster. Nothing we've discovered right now can go faster than it. If you're so sure that something can go faster than the speed of light, please say what it is, go to universities or companies that fund scientific research and pitch your theory so you can get a research grant and experiment. Then after years of analyzing that research, present it to the scientific community to be analyzed more and then earn your Nobel Peace Prize. You don't strike me as the humble type HeyP, so I know that's not what's holding you back from embarking on this amazing endeavor. What else could it be then? Why don't you earn your name in the scientific history books and help further advance the scientific community? Why are you holding back from us HeyP? Why?!?!?!?!?!?

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

It's obvious that there are a lot of smart, intellectual people on this board, and on this thread. I, unfortunately am not one of them, but I am just smart enough to understand that when you resort to belittling and antagonizing someone who doesn't share your viewpoint, or sling poo-poo to emphasize your belief/understanding/evidence/facts of a topic, you gain nothing!

True dialogue is when your able to express your opinion on the "facts" that are being presented. The problem is, people don't want to dialogue, they want to hear their own voices while making everyone else sound ignorant!

1 person likes this.
  17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x11lvw" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11lvw_thomas-dolby-she-blinded-me-with-sc_music" target="_blank">Thomas Dolby-She Blinded Me With Science</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/adiis" target="_blank">adiis</a></i>

2 people like this.
  18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

One fundamental fact of science is that you will never know 'truth'. All you will ever have is 'the best available, generally accepted, approximation of truth with the information we have available". When you go talking about the existence or non-existence of god or a "first cause" it's just speculation. As humans, we are limited to the human scale and the range of human perception. Our best tools will never measure things outside of our system, so we will never know whether they exist or not. By definition, there will never be any information for us to consider about what caused the Big Bang, there will never be a way for us to consider if things exist beyond what we call the universe when it it's entirely possible there could be as many universes in the blackness of nothing as we stars in our version of everything. It could be that fermions are made up of infinitely smaller particles, that there is no end to how small you can go, just how small you can measure.

You may assume The Universe is a closed system, but we can't even perceive the 95% of it that is dark yet, so, no one can they know anything about what might exist outside of it.... yet.

2 people like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ah the usual science versus religion debate. As I've said many times before that the two need not be in conflict when you consider what context they are in. Science explains how things came about and work in the materially observed universe. It doesn't answer questions though about if there is meaning to the universe or life. Through science and I can understand the chain of causality going all the way back to the beginning of the universe that could explain how I got here but not really why I am here or if there is any purpose to my life other than to propagate my genes.

As far as the original subject matter this is very exciting news. I'm not a physicist but am a bit of a science nerd. Just to weigh in on some of the issues brought up. Regarding inflation and the conservation of energy. My understanding is that universe initially was a singularity that was essentially an undifferentiated point where energy and mass were the same. The singularity held, had the potential, of everything that we know of the universe. It is impossible to think of this in terms of what we think of as time or space since those didn't exist prior to the universe, or they existed in such a way as would be beyond our perception of the universe. The big bang was both a rapid expansion but also a differentation of the universe into the matter and energy that we know of. We can perceive the expansion of the universe as things getting farther away from our viewpoint and can theoretically determine that it is going faster than the speed of light. The speed of light though is a speed limit for travel within the universe. Since we have no way of perceiving the expansion of the universe from an outside of it that isn't a restriction on the expansion of the universe itself. Just on our ability to perceive it using light.

One other point about that is my understanding is that Warp theory from Star Trek is theoretically possible, where you could bend space time so from an outside observer view you are traveling faster than the speed of light but from your own relative speed you aren't. If that is true then since the universe is expanding that means that the whole universe is warping as space time itself expands. That would explain why it seems to be faster than the speed of light.

1 person likes this.
  20. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

I remember my meteorology professor explaining how in the future we'll be able to accurately predict what the weather will do.

I'm sure you may already know this (being that you've established your background in science), but essentially one must know what every single molecule of air in the world is doing at the same time.

Of course, we don't have the computing power to simultaneously process that much information (currently), but am hopeful with the advancements being made in super-conductors/super-computing everyday that we're getting close.