1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sci Fi News] Legendary Entertainment Acquires 'Dune' Rights, Denis Villeneuve In Talks To Direct

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Dec 21, 2016.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Legendary once co-financed big tent poles with Warner Bros. All Nolan films, Snyder films and some other rubbish. They had a falling out with the WB brass and now co-finance more rubbish with Universal.

Frank Herbert's 'Dune' is arguably the greatest SciFi novel ever written. Of the two film versions made, I personally prefer David Lynch's 'Dune' over the 2000 SyFy Channel's miniseries. If you're a Dune fan like myself there was a doc a few years back about another version that never made it to the screen. Really great doc.

shastarocket and Torn n Frayed like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish someone would give Jodorowsky the money to make his Dune.

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Denis Villeneuve is a very good director. I'd like to see this made into a series on netflix or hbo instead though..

KDavis likes this.
  4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

You prefer the version of lynch? I really do not. The mini series was much more faith full. I loved the first 3 Books (I think I stoppen reading in book 5). I will watch the New movie.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Not HBO, too much material to cover. HBO will cut it down, dumb it down, just for x minutes of T&A per episode.

I liked how Lynch's version captured the feel of the book. I was somewhat disappointed by the mini-series mostly because it was so overhyped. I didn't care for the Children of Dune mini-series. That was simply bad.

They should just go straight ahead to the God Emperor book instead of making another adaption of the earlier stories. A female protagonist probably suits the current market more anyway.

6. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Bene Gesserit: jedi before there were jedi. I would love to see a quality rendition of probably the greatest science fiction ever written.

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Denis Villeneuve is a great choice. This could be interesting.

Deuce likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed. Denis Villeneuve is a great choice.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Never understood the fascination with Dune given the movie was more or less a dud for me as a kid. However, if so many are sold on it, maybe I should watch the documentary to figure it all out. I do hope for it to succeed though because it would be nice to add another cool sci fi universe.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  11. wouldabeen23

Dude, do yourself a favor and read the first three books and you'll see every sci-fi/fantasy movie you've seen previously in an entirely different light.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This will not end well.

Dune, the first novel proper, was broken into three parts, novellas if you will. Each novella could be its own stand alone movie.

Lynch's 1984 Dune Director's Cut ran 5 hours and 14 minutes.

The Sci-Fi Dune Director's Cut mini-series also clocked in at just under 5 hours.

Dune fans are still wanting more.

13. wouldabeen23

It should almost be a series just to scratch the surface of all the sub-plot and the entire universe he created. Netflix/Amazon-you listening??

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

^ This. The fascination with "Dune" is the original book series. The first novel, especially, shows some depth and width of thinking in terms of science, religion, history, political intrigue. It has not been easy to turn this cerebral book and its sequels into film.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Dune IS the sci-fi universe. The movie and series were a total disappointment and came out nothing like the books.

From what I recall, Dune is not filled with a lot of dialogue, but the thoughts of the characters. Its very difficult to translate that to the screen.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  16. wouldabeen23

I found something we agree on! Huzzah!!

Space Ghost likes this.
  17. wouldabeen23

Agreed on both accounts--Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune delve deep into the mythos/history of that fantasy universe and can be a bit tough to stay with apart from the Game of Thrones style political intrigue and action of the original book, Dune.

18. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

Villeneuve did a remarkable job w/ the "Story of your Life" adaptation (Arrival) so I'm encouraged he at least has the chops for this. Dune goes into massively cerebral territory and I'm not sure that can be translated onto screen well. I've only read the books so we'll see.

I'm more worried about the studio mucking this up, trying to force too much blockblustery nonsense so they can build a franchise and put asses in the seats. Best case scenario, they let Villenueve start by giving him room to establish a universe - kind of like they did w/ Nolan and the Batmans.

But Dune is not Batman. Crossing my fingers...