1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sci Fi Cinema] Steven Spielberg's 'Ready Player One'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jul 22, 2017.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I resisted reading the book for about 5 years after so many of my friends were just geeking out gushing over how great it was.

I wish I hadn't.

The book was fantastic.

I have a hard time believing a movie will do it justice.

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Hopefully this was the kind of trailer that just shows stuff from the first act of the movie. Just to showcase the world and not give away anything about the plot. Like this car chase was in relation to the scavenger hunt. Maybe they'll throw in a lot more 90s than 80s stuff, since we saw Iron Giant.

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Loved the book, will watch the movie for that reason alone. I can understand those that haven't read the book not getting much from the trailer. It gives no indication of what is really going on in the plot.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This and the Dark Tower trailers looking surprisingly bad IMO.

Jontro and Uprising like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Any movie that is 95% CGI is bound to look bad, and a majority of the time, they end up being, in fact, bad.

#25 J Sizzle, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Uprising and B-Bob like this.
  6. ogretrunks

ogretrunks Member

If you loved the book, I highly suggest the audio book read by Wil Wheaton.

7. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

8. Agent94

Agent94 Member

You don't really have to worry about spoiling the plot. 5 minutes into the book, I knew how it would end. Its like a roller coaster. You pretty much know whats going to happen, but you enjoy it anyway.

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well I haven't read the book so I found a synopsis online and it didn't make much sense. It strikes me some alternate VR version of Tron with a bunch of classic video gameplay thrown in along with Kerry Von Erich's theme music that played when he came into the ring. This may well be another book that doesn't translate to the screen very well.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I think it's easier to accept what you're looking at when they have to cgi less fantastical things, like Jungle Books and, in this movie, the stacks of trailers.

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've managed not to read the novel. Should I read it before seeing the flick?

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a really great book so I would recommend it for that reason alone. I'm sure the movie will be different enough so it wouldn't ruin the book if you read it after seeing the movie but i would guess it would take a little away from the enjoyment of reading the book.

It's a fast read so you can easily knock in out by March.

Deckard likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Splendid, moar stuff for the fans.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would read it. It’s going to be better in some ways than a big budget blockbuster will be able to.

Deckard likes this.
  16. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hated the book. I know I am in the minority but I thought it was stupid and substituted obvious 80's nostalgia (over and over and over again) for a real story. Sorry, the 80's weren't the pinnacle of civilization and 80's nerd trivia is not plot.

I might watch the movie whenever it gets to streaming or tv but don't care otherwise.

Deckard likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I agree with some of what you said. I thought it was quite unique regarding the plot regardless. I am sure there are books that are similar though.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

edit; sorry for the double post

#38 zeeshan2, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As someone who experienced the 1980's as an adult (not a teenager, or younger, like some of the members here), I completely agree that "the 80's weren't the pinnacle of civilization and 80's nerd trivia is not plot." In fact, apparently I could learn a lot about the '80's from reading the novel. Aside from some brilliant film work in the early years of the decade, and some terrific music around the same time, we essentially lived the 1980's as if we were still in the late 1960's and early '70's. I'd spell out why, but this isn't D&D.

20. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

New trailer out today: