1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Schrempf Changes Mind

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BobFinn*, Oct 31, 2000.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Schrempf changes his mind, hopes to rejoin Blazers
    The veteran forward will open his 16th NBA season on the injury list with chronic neck pain but will be able to practice with the team

Tuesday, October 31, 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Steve Brandon of The Oregonian staff

Detlef Schrempf has had a change of heart. Now, if only he can get rid of that pain in the neck.

Schrempf, who announced his retirement on Oct. 2, has decided to play with the Trail Blazers at some point this season -- body willing.

"I had not planned on coming back," Schrempf said Tuesday from his home in Seattle. "But I've decided that I'll give it a little longer, try to rest up and see how I feel. If all goes well, then I could rejoin the team."

The Blazers reacted to Schrempf's willingness to reconsider by placing him on their three-man injured list with chronic neck pain, an injury that plagued him last season.

Also on the list are Arvydas Sabonis (left knee surgery) and Gary Grant (right knee pain). Sabonis, Grant and Schrempf must miss at least the first five games.

To make room for Schrempf and reach the NBA's 15-player limit, the Blazers cut guard/forward Rodrick Rhodes and forward Nikita Morgunov.

Schrempf, who will be 38 in January, said he has no timetable for a return to the league. But he sounded optimistic that he would be able to suit up for a 16th season.

"I'm not going to make any predictions, but I feel OK," he said.

Schrempf averaged 21.6 minutes a game last season, playing some at both forward positions. In the playoffs, he averaged 18.4 minutes.

Coach Mike Dunleavy would have a difficult time finding that much playing time for Schrempf this season, with the additions of Dale Davis and Shawn Kemp. But by keeping Schrempf on the injured list, Schrempf can practice with the team and be ready in case of injury to Scottie Pippen or someone else.

Also, Schrempf will remain under the second year of his two-year contract; he was due to earn $2.2 million this season. If he had retired and re-signed with the Blazers during the season, he would have been eligible to receive only a pro-rated $1 million veterans' minimum salary.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

oh dear god no

------------------
    This signature space for rent call 555 ...

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

now only if hornacek would comeback [​IMG]

------------------
    (no)Fun Police:

-To point out teams or individuals that have managed to reach the pinnacle of SUCKINESS!!!!!!

This weeks award goes to my freakin Cowboys who have failed to win back to back games in God knows how long.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Speaking of "pains in the neck", that describes what Detleff has been to the Rockets on several occassions. Poster Det the Threat is probably on Cloud 9.

"The Rocks have room on the IR. Should they bring back the Chuckster??!!

--------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited November 01, 2000).]

5. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Barkley! Oh God No! Right Back Ya.

His portly self was on TBS's NBA show last night, before and after the Lakers-Blazers game. He still plays the one-liners, but he has lost considerable zing to them. He stated some drivel about some of the competing teams that sounded canned, and basically a repeat of infor that most fans could have found on any fan-based website since last week or before.

He looked:

Uninspiring.
    Unimaginative.
    "A bump on a log."
    Bored.
    All of the above.

I wish he would either get in shape and return to the game. (No I don't. I want him stay retired.) Or go back to Alabama and harass the hell out of politicians. Because he looks miserable. And, I can't bear to see someone of his talent look so bored with life.

At least pick a fight with that slug Peter Vecsey, Charles!!!!!!!!!

Having him sit there and listen to Vecsey's version of what power forwards should be doing or how to position for a rebound made me embarassed for Chuck. I almost lost a television set. I came .... THAT .... close to putting my beer bottle through it!

(PS: At least Sir Charles still dresses with the flair of Armani.)

------------------

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Well, he has to spend his money on something. Might as well be clothes [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.