1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

School shooting - at least 5 dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd pay more attention if they were a young and cute foxnews bunny... The only type of woman to pay attention to and wouldn't possibly lie to me in my mother's attic

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

lol children being politically active is not inherently wrong, it's actually a fairly good thing assuming that it translates to greater voting turnout once they turn 18. You do realize that we have always encouraged kids to speak up and be politically engaged right? Now that they are, you are mad about it because you disagree with what they are saying. I mean thats the only reason you bring up consent to try to equate it to statutory rape. Children are perfectly capable of consenting to a million different things as is, the vast majority of them are perfectly fine, just like this one.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Children being used as a front for a political activist organization IS wrong though, and that's what is happening.

When it comes to voting though, the problem that far left groups always run into is that while children see things their way before the portions of their brain that have to do with rational thought and logic are fully developed, those portions of their brain do eventually develop and things they thought were right when they were children end up seeming childish to them as adults.

I would be against using children as a political shield no matter what their position was, it's simply wrong....and it's a sign that you know you can't rationally defend your position without despicable tactics like that because if you could make a winning argument without those tactics, you'd do so. It's incredibly hard to convince people to give up their civil rights, so the best way to do so is to try and bypass reason with emotion, it's something that has been attempted (and even successfully done) time and time again....and it usually ends badly.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You seem not to understand the difference between leading, participating and supporting.

Hakeemtheking and No Worries like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, but I do. The "movement" is led by the same people it always has been, they just decided to pick children to be the face of it so that they could use them as a shield against criticism along with potentially emotionally compromising those who are most susceptible to that kind of thing.

I mean, i get that some here just swallow far left propaganda whole, but c'mon, tell me you don't REALLY believe that these children are actually leading anything. They don't even "lead" as much as the Queen of England leads her country.

6. dmoneybangbang

Lol... “children” are being used because of school shootings....

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, the children are leading. They weren't approached after the shooting. They were approached only after their reaction and activism in regards to the shooting.

If you do understand that difference between leading, participating, and supporting, then it might be time for you to demonstrate it.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They spoke out and then the actual movement contacted them because they realized they could use them. Those children aren't actually leading anything, they are just being used as a front, c'mon you have to realize that. Let's try to look beyond the propaganda on this one. Using children to stir up emotions and to convince people that your intentions are pure isn't something new and you need that kind of a thing if you are setting out to take from the people.

Have you met my son and partner H.W.?
    [​IMG]

9. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

First of all, they are not children. They are going to college - they are adults. And they have their own political ambitions. These "children" as you call them are not the exploited, they are the exploiting. And they are using their experience as a shield and their voice to build their future.

Look of this guy - now a celebrity - goes on Twitter to announce which schools rejected him. Why would he do that but to put pressure on them? This guy is dangerous. A threat - and he is exploiting the situation, not being exploited. You're naive if you think they are being used. No. They are the users.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Polly want a cracker

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm sure Bobby understands. He has a supreme specialty in discounting anything that is against his viewpoints.

These children clearly has a goal in mind (safety for themselves, their peers, ...). Organization and pushing their message isn't easy. Working with others that support their goals make complete sense. Someone like Bobby would spin that to "they are tools", when in reality, their goals align and they working together to achieve their goals.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And if these 17 year old high school students were organizing anti-abortion rallies and speaking out against it conservatives would be praising them to high heaven. If they were organizing anti-immigration rallies and speaking out, conservative would be praising them to high heaven.

The fact is, we as a nation, have been clamoring for younger generations to get off their butts and participate. Trump claims he wants to 'drain the swamp' which I assume means (at least in part) to vote out career politicians. What better way then to get a new generation of voters involved. In addition, those 17 year old high school students who are opposed to the gun control rallies, can get politically motivated and involved themselves. Win win.

It's OK to disagree with their message. But we should be applauding their activism.

Amiga likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe some would, but I find it every bit as disgusting when people use their children to protest abortion. It's still just exploiting children to push a political agenda.

Also, you are only fooling yourself if you think that children getting involved in political mud slinging before they are old enough to know what they are talking about translates to long term voting trends. At some point the children will grow up and just like always, the bulk will end up thinking differently.

14. NewYorker

We don't live in that world and probably never did.

15. NewYorker

Again, no one other than the media is using these kids and that's to get ratings vs. influence public policy. These kids are using the platform to advance what they believe in though.

16. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Who wouldn't?
    I am sure most if not all students believe they deserve to be safe in their school/classrooms. Do you disagree to what they believe in?

17. NewYorker

My only point is that they are not being exploited.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are you against "common sense knife control"? How many children have to die before we realize that knives must be banned?

20. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

"With the tragic rise in knife killings on our streets this year, he’s introduced tough, immediate measures to address the violence."
    "With the tragic rise in knife killings on our streets this year, he’s introduced tough, immediate measures to address the violence."

In the US, it's guns. But still waiting for the "common sense" to kick in.