1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub unhappy with Kubiak’s decision but accepts demotion

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gfab-babyboi, Oct 28, 2013.

1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...y-with-kubiaks-decision-but-accepts-demotion/

A healthy Matt Schaub is no longer the Texans’ starting quarterback. And the normally reserved veteran isn’t happy with coach Gary Kubiak’s decision.

“As a player and as a competitor, I don’t like it,” said Schaub, who’ll back up former undrafted rookie Case Keenum on Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts at Reliant Stadium.

He added: “I understand that I’m part of the reason that we’re in this position.”

Kubiak said he understands Schaub’s frustration and acknowledged benching the team’s former offensive leader wasn’t an easy decision.

“Matt’s (health is) fine,” Kubiak said. “It’s just a decision I made based on what I saw take place last week with Case and him taking advantage of an opportunity.”

For the past six seasons, Schaub’s started at least 10 games for the Texans. But his 2013 campaign has regularly been a disaster, and Keenum will be given a chance to resurrect the Texans’ season.

“I haven’t played up to my standards this year,” Schaub said. “That’s where it stems from.”

Keenum isn’t the Texans’ long-term starter, though, leaving the door open for Schaub’s return if Keenum struggles.

“We’re just taking ‘em one at a time,” Schaub said. “So we’re focused on what we’ve got to do to beat Indianapolis this week and that’s all that we can worry about individually and as a team.”

Twitter: ChronBrianSmith

2. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

Kubes still babysitting him with the week to week....just say...Case will start remainder of season.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

now if Kubiak can show some real balls and open the playbook.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You have to respect Matt.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Schefter:

Earlier today, the Houston Texans announced that Case Keenum will be their starting quarterback going forward. That Matt Schaub will be their healthy backup. That calls into question Matt Schaub's future in Houston. He's scheduled to count $14.5 million against the cap. The Houston Texans will not carry that number. When they named Keenum their starter, they basically moved on from Matt Schaub. The question becomes in the offseason, can they get something back for Schaub of value or do they have to release him? Schaub is now on the clock in Houston.

#5 J.R., Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  6. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

tick tock Matt....man I would love to trade Schaub to Minny for Jared Allen or Bucs for Revis...no Im not doing the numbers lol

7. SK34

SK34 Member

And they wouldn't accept the trade even if the numbers fit...

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Matt didn't say anything wrong imo. Applaud him for what he said!

But, I mean, he still sucks :p

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

“Matt’s (health is) fine,” Kubiak said. “It’s just a decision I made based on what I saw take place last week with Case and him taking advantage of an opportunity.”
    ______

I thought he had torn ligaments Kubes... looks like Matt forced you to make a statement b****.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, better late than.....meh !

DD

12. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

13. underrated015

underrated015 Member

I have no problem with Matt. After the patriots game last year, he's been mentally weak and afraid to fail. Only problem I had was with kubes to keep running him out there.

14. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

No I don't have to respect him, why do I have to respect him....? he is player and as a player in the NFL you have to accept your coach's decision

:confused::confused:

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

About f###### time, Kubiak.

You know the season is hanging by its fingernails when Gary No Balls No Imagination Kubiak changes course.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Let's the honest, the Schaub era officially ended when fans cheered his injury. Anyone who thought otherwise was in denial.

17. Mr. Dominant

Anyone think Schaub will ever play a game the remainder of the season, even if Case doesn't help Texans defeat the Colts this Sunday?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fans unhappy with Schaub's pick 6s.

DD

19. Mr. Dominant

LOL.... way to state the obvious DD.

20. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I am pretty sure the playbook has been open... to anyone paying attention... including opposing defenses.

I have nothing against Keenum, and Matt has struggled, but I am not convinced after that one game that Matt is the entire problem here.