1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Schaub the ELITE

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yeah, it's not about being some running QB like RGIII, but it's about having the ability to escape pressure: getting out of the pocket or just moving within the pocket. He doesn't have to be Cam, RGIII, Wilson, or Kaepernick, but it'd be nice to have some escapability like Roethlisberger, Rogers, Flacco...even Payton has better movement and pocket presence. Hopefully it's a skill that can be learned, b/c that's one of Schaub's weakest features.

2. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Still, I really think that people are becoming over-obsessed with being able to escape the pocket to extend plays. Sure, its nice to see them break off and make a few plays by extending plays when things break down. But the reason Rodgers, Flacco, Manning are successful is because of throwing in the pocket. Only a very small fraction of their plays are made on their feet.

But it does seem like the Texans have started over protecting Schaub. In 2009/2010 I can think of numerous Schaub scrambles (one even over 10 yards) and a few plays where he escaped the pocket, ran towards the sideline, and floated one over a charging cornerback to a sprinting Vonta Leach or David Anderson (I miss those guys).

3. Major

Major Member

I missed the last week of this conversation, but I think this is stupid. You can't just reduce the number of passing attempts for everyone else for comparison purposes. Part of what make those other players elite is that they do more for their teams. It's like saying the guy who scores 10 points a game slightly more efficiently than Kevin Durant is elite because he's more efficient.

Doing more means the other team gameplans for you more (instead of focusing on the running game). Its harder to be just as efficient throwing more passes. Being efficent and being elite are two different things.

If he was anything close to the NFL's passing leader, then that would be great. But the reality is that he wasn't in the top 10 in either yards or TDs. You keep having to manipulate numbers in ridiculous ways to get there. Notice, for example, that you reduced everyone else's attempts to make Schaub's yards look better - but you did no such thing with his INTs which would make Schaub look worse.

You're not being objective - you're trying to stack the deck to make your guy look as good as possible.

4. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

mobile =/= scrambler

we do not want a scrambler, we want a pocket passer who can extend a play if needed. a big arm wouldnt hurt, the ravens, steelers, and giants have won super bowls with this type of non-elite qb, matt schaub isnt on that level. hes going to play safe football and take what the defense gives him. some defenses wont give you anything and this is when you need a qb that can beat coverage and extend plays by stepping away from the rush.. when schaub escapes the rush its merely to throw the ball away..

5. msn

msn Member

This is the thread that never ends.
    It just goes on and on, my friends.
    Some people started singing it not knowing what it was,
    And they'll continue running it forever just because . . .

This is the thread that never ends...
    It started with back with David Carr when he was all the buzz,
    And it will outlive Matt Schaub and the next guy, too, because...

Mix in some VY and some Dilfer and even Flacco, too.
    Change all the names; it's still the same, and when we've all turned blue...

It just goes...
      on...
        and on...
          my friends...

2 people like this.
  6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

must spread rep

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This isn't really true. Those QB's move within the pocket much better than Schaub. They're very good at moving two steps and making a pass within the pocket. Schaub is horrible at that. When Schaub sees th rush he goes straight fetal position, there's little movement within the pocket to anticipate rushers.

8. msn

msn Member

↑↑ this is overstated. Schaub has at times moved well within the pocket. The o-line this year was a major step backward from last year. Not many good pocket QBs would look as good with this o-line as they would have with last year's.

We are suffering more from the Carr effect nowadays than even Carr is.

9. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

bs. the terrible o-line that "took a step backwards" was intact during the 11-1 stretch. the young guys hit a wall, even still, schaub had a pocket, people still looking for excuses.. no qb in this league is going to stay untouched in a bubble, if the oline had struggles, it was in the run game. i remember schaub holding onto the ball in the vikings game at GL and taking the sack, people were b****ing at the oline. that was a coverage sack and a qb that couldnt do anything with the football because the defense didnt give him anything..

last year everyone biitched and complained about how terrible winston and briesel were in pass pro.. same shiit different toilet..many of the times schaub went down instantly, they were sending more than we had blocking. thats not an oline issue, thats a qb who cant recognize blitz packages or the fact that the defense crowd the box and schaub still hands the ball off..

10. msn

msn Member

I can't argue with your points, joseph. It is only the concept of him "going into fetal position" immediately that I find overstated. But ya, there is definitely room for improvement in the things you mention, and reasonable doubt about improvement given he's already reached the "prime" of his career. That said, I don't think there's any argument that the o-line is not as good as it was since we lost two starters over the offseason. An excuse for some of Schaubby's shortcomings? No. Part of the problem? Absolutely.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

The root of all evil.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The argument is irrelevant anyways because a non-elite QB just won the Super Bowl.

13. msn

msn Member

didn't you read the thread? Flacco is now elite. :p

14. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

you guys keep saying this jokingly, yet no one thinks flacco is elite. hes just a step above schaub. the problem is you think the only step above schaub is elite so you respond with these snide remarks, "flacco is elite" "hes teh gratest evar, lullz" tehehe huha.. "better than rodgers and peyton" ROFFLE ROFFLE

15. msn

msn Member

some on this thread *have* painted Flacco as elite. one mediot even said on camera that Flacco was currently the best QB in the NFL!

but no, there is a lot of space currently between "Schaub" and "elite". A lot more space than there was six games ago, for sure.

and, we are largely (not entirely, of course!) a bunch of guys. we joke around and smack-talk. so, if I said you had a man-crush on Flacco, I was only joking. :cool:

16. Major

Major Member

I don't see the relevance. I haven't claimed that winning a Superbowl is impossible without an elite QB. It's just a hell of a lot harder.

17. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Member

Really odd, that the fall from grace happened around the time Newton got hurt. Even when he came back, he was in Schaub's lap quick.

But I agree, no QB is going to be spotless, but if you expect your RT to provide minimal resistance, then you've got to get rid of the ball quick. & that's what we saw down the stretch.

I am not a Matt Schaub fan by any stretch of the imagination, I can list all his flaws & if you search TT.com prior to 2012, you'll see I was one of his biggest critics. But I think everyone is freaking out. Matt's not the best QB in the league, Matt's not elite, but he's not chopped liver.

He's very capable to have a play off run like Matt Ryan, or Joe Flacco. Give him a Julio Jones, or a Torrey Smith to go with Roddy White, or Anquan Boldin.

We've scored a lot of points against a lot of teams.... less talented teams, yes. But we had less talent as well. David Anderson & Jacoby Jones replacements aren't going to get it done vs the Patriots & Packers.

19. TrillRocket$Boi

You are so stupid. Flacco is an elite QB. Glad you think you can judge someone by watching one game with the person. I have watched every Flacco game and he has made a huge transition in his game. Learn to actually watch tape before you start running your mouth

20. Raven

Raven Member

It's going to be a long long Summer.

:(