1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrianKagy, Jun 27, 2000.

1. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Of all the causes a person could dedicate themselves to...

Was Vince Lombardi a Vegetarian?

Let's try that again. Stupid UBB code.

------------------
    You bring the bullets, I'll bring the wine.

[This message has been edited by BrianKagy (edited June 27, 2000).]

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are right - that is very, very, very stupid.

People on all sides are idiots who come up with bizzare causes. Oh well, fun to watch from afar.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Mmmm... subjectivism. PETA would have the Packers change their name, only to find themselves in trouble with MADD.

------------------
    Honey, you mean if I get a job in Bombay, I'm an American-Indian?

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Man, I'm a vegetarian and a supporter of animal rights but I just cannot stand PETA. First the McCruelty UnHappy Meal (don't ask) and now this.

Instead of promoting the health benefits and compassion they are supposed to stand for, they have disintegrated ridiculous scare tactics.

Years ago, they actually promoted compassion and a healthy lifestyle. Now, they just aim to scare people and gross them out. I support promoting the well-being of all living creatures, but PETA is just getting way out of line.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. Achebe

Jeff,

I'm wondering as a devil's advocate now... is PETA's goal now merely to direct the 'evolution of thought'?

Also, I reminded myself that the Sierra Club would have been largely marginalized had Greenpeace not made them mainstream in the early 90s with their 'fur painting' and other (at the time) outlandish acts.

Would MLK have been successful had Malcolm X not been scaring the hell out of 50s/60s white America?

------------------

6. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

If you disagreed with PETA and wanted to sabotage it, could you imagine any better way than encouraging its current direction...?

I mean, you put Rush Limbaugh in charge of PETA and this is exactly the kind of wacko stuff he'd have them do, just to discredit their agenda. Their credibility's just about shot.

Jeff, I read the article about the McCruelty Meal in the Chronicle this weekend-- hilarious.

Speaking of articles, I just thought Id mention that there's a big feature article from the Chronicle's City/State section of 6/19/00 currently posted on my cube wall. All the women in my department keep asking me who the stud in the picture is.

------------------
    You bring the bullets, I'll bring the wine.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

BK: Yeah, right!!!! [​IMG]

Achebe: My problem is I simply do not believe that you stop violence by promoting the very imagery that encourages it.

Scaring people because of a social agenda like MLK or Malcom X is one thing. Simply trying to gross people out or freak them out is another entirely. These types of campaigns remind me of why I don't like the extremist campagins of anti-abortion protesters.

Showing aborted fetuses doesn't make me want to support their cause. It makes me want to gag. I support anti-aboritionists' right to protest even if I don't agree, but, like PETA, I do not condone their methods.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

8. dc sports

dc sports Member

Or they could be in trouble with Vegans.

It's amazing how some people can carry this political correctness too far. It's possible to find someone to be offended with about any name.

The "Rockets" and "Aeros" both could be considered to have ties to the military -- so their names could be changed to something more peaceful. "Thunderbears" suggests domesticating wild animals, which is bad. I suppose the "Comets" are OK.

The Astros name seems pretty inoffensive, but the train should be changed to a representation of an electric train, because coal-burners cause a lot of pollution.

The problem is, it's hard to get names that are non-offensive, but still stir up too much passion for sports. Go Houston "Moonbeams!" or "Bluebonnets" just doesn't work!

A little off topic -- what ever happened to the controversy surrounding Native American's protests of the Redskins, Braves, and Indians?

------------------
    Stay Cool...

9. Achebe

that's not at all off topic, it's actually a great counter example to the subject matter at hand... but again it strikes at personal taste (subjectivism) and what 'gets our respective goats'.

I used to live in Flagstaff, and the dine (imagine a little accent like over resume over the 'e') were tired of being referred to as 'Navajo' which means scavenger.

Asking someone to stop calling you a scavenger is fairly compelling. 80,000 people shaking tomahawks seems a bit sketchy. But, as someone that hasn't had pork, poultry or beef for the past 10 years, I think I can argue that PETA's concern with the Packers is pretty silly.

A side note about my earlier posted signature: the term 'American-Indian' is asinine... but my intent was that as time lingers, coherent communication is impossible.

------------------