1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[sbnation]1993 Playoffs Retrospective Part II: The Rockets, The Clippers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 3, 2011.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a good article, I remember this series

1993 Playoffs Retrospective Part II: The Rockets, The Clippers And A Really Strange First-Round Series

Aug 1, 2011 - The first round of the 1993 NBA Playoffs was nuts. Five series went the distance, and another one (Celtics-Hornets) ended in a buzzer beater and a ton of controversy. Perhaps no series, though, was weirder than the one between the Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Clippers. (Well, except for maybe one, but that's for another time).

This was the year the Rockets began to build the juggernaut that would win back-to-back titles in 1994 and 1995. On January 8, 1993, the Rockets lost to the Denver Nuggets to fall to 14-16 on the year. They went 41-11 the rest of the way to win the Midwest Division. Hakeem Olajuwon, who began the year disenchanted with the Rockets and almost certainly on his way out, played at an MVP level in carrying the club.

Then, you had the Clippers, one of the strangest teams ever assembled. The Clippers were a .500 team that swept the Knicks (East's No. 1 seed) and won three out of five against the Suns (West's No. 1 seed), but also lost twice to Sacramento (25-57 on the year) and at home to Philadelphia (26-56). During the year, there was a lot of finger-pointing going on. Star Danny Manning came out publicly and said he didn't want to play for Larry Brown. Brown, for his part, was exploring other jobs.

more on the link..
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/8/1/2305779/1993-nba-playoffs-houston-rockets-la-clippers

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Man, that's one dedicated Clippers fan.

A few thoughts.

1. NBA need more fat players these days. It's always nice to see an athletic fat guys with skills beating chiseled stiffs who can't ball. Not to mention cliches about how "he'd be a star if only he could lay off the hamburger" bit.

2. The Clippers with "lots of wasted natural talent". Has there ever been a Clippers team that didn't have a lot of wasted natural talent? I swear the talent they "wasted" could win multiple championships.

3. Fans around the NBA basically know Kenny as the guy on TNT. Yet he was basically a better Rafer+ with us. Perhaps not even Rafer+, as Rafer achieved quite a bit with Dwight Howard as his teammate. Rafer would probably have a championship ring if a prime Hakeem had been on that Orlando team rather than Dwight Howard.

4. Kenny Smith apparently dunked in that game. How often has that ever happened?

5. Mark Jackson went on to be the starting PG for a great-but-not-quite-championship Pacer teams. Danny Manning after surgeries became a 6th man for the great-but-not-quite-championship Phoenix teams. Ron Harper became the starting SG/PG for the championship Bulls teams.

6. And this hilarious paragraph

3. blunto

blunto Member

You mean three-time NBA dunk contest participant Kenny Smith?

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uNDCs8rQ0X0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well uh, not really...um... let's just say this clip probably captured most of them :grin:

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was an hour late to my last final exam of my freshman year of college watching the last game of that series.

5. Mr_Mean

Mr_Mean Member

Is it me or does he have the most weirdest dunk in the world? :grin:

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Sorry. Meant to say since I started watching him. I knew he had hops early in his career. But from the days when I saw him as a Rocket, he's pretty much basically been bricking layups left and right.

7. blunto

blunto Member

I'm just giving you a hard time. I don't remember him before the championship years either. Too young.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NCvwafDF-OQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe someone else can explain why he was such a popular pick for dunk contests. I've watched all three, and I mean... I don't get it.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

that was not a good video of his dunk skills.
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0YHItFncBFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vwiDrew67GA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

there is something contradictory about those two quotes written in the same paragraph.

10. RealistFan

RealistFan Member

That was good, hard-fought series especially game 5. That's the game where MadMax came back from that wrist injury he suffered late in the season. He hit the big shot to win us the game.

But, I'll never forget the last game of the season against San Antonio where the refs robbed us of HCA. In game 7 @ Seattle, we were AGAIN shafted by the refs. It was terrible and disheartening to watch.

Hakeem should have been MVP that year and the Rockets should have gone to face the Bulls. It should have been us vs the 1993 Suns in the WCF and I feel confident enough to believe we'd win. Why? Because I remember after Hakeem got the MVP award in 1994, he admitted to being slighted the year before and we know how Hakeem plays when he feels slighted (hint: 1995 WCF). Nobody on the Suns frontcout could deal with him while we had OT to slow down Barkley and MadMax to put the clamps on Majerle. A big reason why the Suns took us to the 7 games in 1994 and 1995 had to do with KJ's brilliance but KJ wasn't the same player in 1993 due to battling injuries.

We are talking a potential 3-peat in the making. We won both games against the Bulls that season. Haha, the Bulls feared the Texas Triangle.

11. RealistFan

RealistFan Member

I think there's truth to both quotes. Dream definitely carried that team and he was the main reason the Rockets turned into a juggernaut. But, The Jet, OT, MadMax, Will Smith, Sam I Am, Air Bullard and the Glide all complemented his game so well that it was really a total team effort in the end.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Lot of ex-Rockets players involved

13. Good Times

Good Times Member

I remember it like yesterday, I was just starting high school and moved to California. It was the first game I had gone to in LA and it was at the LA Sports Arena. A very poor stadium even then. My father knowing I like the Rockets and wanting me to feel more at home was able to get us tickets. But they were noise bleeders and man the crowd up there was dicey (a lot of Raider/Dodgers type fans) all rooting for the Clippers. Being young then I really didn't understand the danger I put us in by cheering for the rockets at a clippers playoff game! I just remembered lots of people threatening us. All that because I said "go Rockets!" when they scored. But that didn't stop me as if I felt my cheers made a difference in the rockets winning. I remember Hakeem just completely schooling Stanley Roberts, he was just so hot in that game with his shot. There will never be another Hakeem, seeing him live in his prime was really something special I'll never forget. It was from that game on that my father and I started our Rocket bond and go watch games together.

14. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I wish Hakeem had a HOF calibre PG as a sidekick in his career. His offensive numbers would be even better and he would have taken less pounding in the low post. I can envision Nash/KJ and Hakeem pick and rolls ad nauseam being converted 60 to 80% of the play to points.

This could be a thread topic: Which HOF calibre PG would you pair with Hakeem and why?

Then again Dream was so good, he can makes any player look great. :grin:

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That would have been less fun. Way cooler having Rudy clear everyone out and watching Hakeem shred the double teams into oblivion.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

I liked Cassell, Kenny, and even Vernon (led the Rockets in assists one year). the point of that offense was to get Dream the ball and make shots when he passes them out to you.

All of those guys were really solid at getting him the ball.

17. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

These were the 8 most unnecessary words in the article.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He could have had John Lucas, who's possibly the best pure point guard the Rockets ever had, but Lucas managed to get himself kicked out of the league. Bummer.

19. cheshire

After watching Game 3 of that Phoenix series which the Rockets won 118 -102, it showed me the awesomeness of having a quality guard who can penetrate and dish in traffic consistently. Hakeem had something like 6 - 8 dunks in the game!

I love the inside out playbook when the perimeter guys are hitting their shots at a decent clip because Hakeem will destroy single coverage.

But imagine a PnR whereby Nash is passing to Hakeem instead of Amare. Hakeem would be doing pirouettes as he gets open lanes for dunks and lay-ups. His offensive numbers, efficiency would go up and more than likely put the opposing team in foul trouble opening up the game for the rest of the team. Plus Nash being a better shooter and play-maker than Kenny Smith would make the Rockets a much stronger offensive team. The Rockets would not lost much defensively and make them more fun to watch.

20. cheshire

I agree...those entry passes to Hakeem was like watching Barcelona put on a clinic on passing.....Horry, Cassell, Elie, Vernon, Drexler, Kenny they know how to get the ball to the big guy.