1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SB Nation] How swapping in Russell Westbrook for Chris Paul changes the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Aug 23, 2019.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The gist of it is the lowest quality transition play still scores more efficiently than the highest quality half court play, and whilst Westbrook's Thunder has been average to below average in transition play efficiency, they do so at much higher volume.

The logic is the same as the Rocket's offense, whereby the sheer volume of 3s means mathematically the shots dominate high percentage mid-range 2s.

Either way, this will be an interesting experiment. Mathematically it makes perfect sense, and this actually would align with Morey's general math based offensive philosophy.

joshuaao and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's the play they should remember.

// Gerald Green should NOT have been on the court in a *playoff rotation.*
    // Gerald Green was on the court because the team had NO DEPTH
    // Gerald Green will CONTINUE to be on the court, as the team STILL has not added DEPTH (unless they get Iggy to fill that role)

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

The last point he made was very poignant. In order to maximize Westbrooks transition capabilities the Rockets must be able to play good defense. OKC had a great defense. The Warriors who also used transition baskets greatly also has a great defense. As of right now the Rockets on paper do not. And that's the main troubling thing that Morey needs to improve on.

BaselineFade likes this.
  4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Believe it or not the most important factor to playing good defense is having the players that's willing to give the effort and sacrifice it takes. To be the best defensive team it does take more defensive talented players when it comes to playoffs. This roster could be a top ten defensive team if the philosophy demands it.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

It doesn't matter what factor constitutes good defense, because whatever it is the Rockets players as a collective don't have it. Last year the Rockets defense was as bad as the Suns when CP3 was off the court. And most of that roster is returning this year along with Westbrook who hasn't been a good defender in years.

BaselineFade and Silent_Bob like this.
  6. icewill36

icewill36 Member

well, last year was actually one of westbrooks best defensive seasons. that said, i still expect the rockets to be bad defensively. I don't know exactly how much Mike D holds players accountable for defense, and Bzdelik is gone so we may have to rely on tuck to try and keep guys focused on that end. we are also obviously too small.

the rockets are just a huge question mark right now. this wait is killing me. i need to this team on the floor man.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Going by defensive RPM Westbrook was a -0.08 while the previous years he was 1.20, -0.34, and 0.60. I think Westbrook can basically be a decent defender but unfortunately he's replacing CP3 who is perhaps the best defensive PG in the NBA. And he's playing with Harden who also kind of needs to be masked by other great defenders.

I don't know I want to be optimistic but I'm very leery.