1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sauces: Rockets interested in Mike Conley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jun 29, 2016.

1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't sure how that worked. I thought I heard that Durant would be meeting with OKC today, but that could have meant at 11:01pm.

I wasn't sure when players could sign extensions with their teams. I guess there could be a moratorium after a certain point.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This free agency might be pretty horrible for the Rockets, I really think Conley is the only big name FA we have a chance with, and I thought Parsons could have been a safety net before we turned to Ryan Anderson, and then I just thought, Ryan Anderson would probably be better off signing with the Pistons over us.

I can see it now

Conley/Parsons to Grizz
    Durant/Horford to OKC
    Howard to Celtics/GS/ATL
    Whiteside to Heat/Lakers
    Anderson to Pistons
    Gasol to Spurs
    Beal/DD/Batum/Fournier/Clarkson get re-signed

Rockets left with G-YE-ACK SHIET

3. htown1984

htown1984 Member

wuz up with Conley and Whiteside meeting first with Dallas?

This really makes me believe no one is really itchy to play with Harden.

They rather play with an old as Dirk, and Wes Mathews.. Really...

4. mightybosstone

Yeah, but they also have Rick Carlisle and Mark Cuban. The coach and owner matter, and I think that makes Dallas as attractive as Houston, if not more so, to some athletes. I'd certainly rather player for Carlisle and Cuban and D'Antoni and Alexander.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

You're just being an over dramatic h8er! Rockets are a top 5 destination with a top 5 player with a coach everyone wants to play for! ;):rolleyes:

Yes, you could easily see the top guys re-signing with their teams or going elsewhere/not coming here. You could easily see the top RFA being matched.

Howard ain't coming back.
    Gasol or any other former Lakers big men aren't walking through that door.

People may hate it but Ryan Anderson (and the likes) at $15M-$18M may be the best they can do?!
    Marvin Williams? Jared Dudley? Jeremy Lin? ...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Man if there not able to pull atleast 1 top free agent, this really confirms that not many players are fond of playing with Harden.. Im keeping my hope, but seeing Mavericks get first meeting with 2 free agents (good or Bad) Whiteside and Conley , just makes me sick :(

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

nope, they sold Pringles to us based on the fact that he would attract talent. i am holding them to that. Ryan Anderson is not what was promised.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I would imagine a PG would find Pringles appealing.

9. hakeemthagreat

You D'Antoni/Morey. Because when players look at the Rockets they see Daryl Morey and dysfunctional culture he's placed upon this franchise

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

My guess is there is no big name FA exodus, look for Durant, Horford, Conley and Whiteside to all sign max deals and stay with their current teams. Durant 1+1, Horford and Conley 5 years, and Whiteside 4 years. Second tier guys like Barnes, Parsons may leave.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I am not so sure about him not having room to improve. Obviously his age and style make it a reasonable inference. However, Conley has never played in an offense like the one the Rockets want to run and has never played with anyone as talented as Harden. Also Conley in the past has said he would like to run a fast paced offense.

Conley isn't a real "star", but a borderline all star and is probably the best option the Rockets have a chance at signing. I would rather Conley over 2 decent free agents.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Does not fit.

DD

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The sauce is sour, but assuming we aren't getting Durant, and I don't think we will, I'd be ecstatic if Daryl managed to sign Conley and Horford. I've said elsewhere that Harden, Conley, and Horford would give us a very solid core. Add some good role players to those three and we'd be a team that could possibly contend, in my opinion. Note that I said "possibly," please. ;-)-

#53 Deckard, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rockets have interest in Mike Conley but no visits have been scheduled.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/748525535773462528">June 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets have interest in all the top free agents but no visits have been scheduled.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Reminds me of the "Vogel is part of the process" posts we kept getting.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

...because there is no need for a visit. Conley is currently sleeping with Pringles; he already knows what he's going to do. Pringles' animal magnetism was too much for Conley to ignore. He had Conley at "hello" (in that weird Italian/West Virginian accent). Then they drank grapa, shot a possum, and gazed at the stars together.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I know it looks terrible from the outside but I do believe that something is brewing. Durant is NOT considering us as constructed, I can ensure that to a certainty.

I can speculate that Morey has spent the past four years trying to build a team for Durant. Dwight hit rock bottom and it killed our chemistry and any hopes of a bright future. Morey isn't going to just give up, he's going to try and maneuver to add vets or cap space to make this a more attractive situation for Durant. He's been working too hard for four years to just throw in the towel on the eve of Free Agency.

20. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Yes, this has been my plan A since the offseason began. I do believe Conley, Harden and Horford would be able to figure it out on the court as Conley and Horford are mostly 2 way players who have high BB IQ's. I also am confident MDA would be able to utilize Conley and Harden's strengths.

You then try to resign DMO at that point as you can go over the cap to match an RFA I believe or would we have to renounce his rights? Either way, maybe we can pull off some sort of sign and trade to get an asset or two out of DMO.

You've got Beverley off the bench and a revitalized Ariza sandwhiched between Harden and Horford with a hopefully improved Clint Capela.

This should be Morey's plan A if he is able to get a meeting with either Horford or Conley he needs to make them both part of his plans and see where that leads? If I am Horford and Conley I strongly consider it. Won't the cap balloon even more in 4 years where these guys would want to sign one last major contract at a more advanced age while the getting is good? I understand having that 5th year but it seems they will opt out anyways at that point but maybe I am mistaken.

Conley/Beverley/Payton
    Harden/McDaniels/Brewer
    Ariza/Dekker/Brewer
    Horford/DMO/Harrell (not sure if DMO is possible)
    Capela/DMO or Horford

This would be a top 5 team in the league if healthy and with a tweak here or there could be a contender (getting rid of Brewer without losing much would be a good start). Any positive contribution from McDaniels and/or Dekker would be huge. Also, I do expect Harrell to be a solid rotation player this year to at least play 15-20 minute hard minutes so don't sleep on him.