1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Dex, bye bye windows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Apr 8, 2017.

1. what

what Member

T-mobile is offering a package of samsung s8 + samsung dex free.

I'm done with windows and desktop computers.

Also, I can get rid of my internet access, which is 70 a month with this. I'll completely andriod.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

TouchWiz and any inteface Samsung tries to do is generally considered garbage, so... good luck (and RIP).

3. what

what Member

It's actually gotten good reviews. Samsung is working with Adobe and Microsoft to optimize their apps.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Google really is skynet.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Weren't you pimping Microsoft Edge earlier? Are you getting paid?

DudeWah likes this.
  6. what

what Member

Edge is great. But I've always wanted to have one device for everything.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Note to self....sell stock in T-Mobile and Samsung

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Understood. A little weird this doesn't even seem to have a Wiki page. Carry on...

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can see this working well in perhaps 5 or so years, but there is no way a phone is powerful enough right now to take the place of a desktop.

10. what

what Member

The biggest problem with this right now is Google. If they are not on board then you aren't going to get a desktop version of an android chrome app.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think this is for people who are only browsing and maybe using office applications.

12. what

what Member

Which is 99% of everybody. This is not for gaming

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think you're seriously overestimating the amount of people who are only browsing or using office.
    This won't work for different user types of Windows/Mac/Linux etc who use computers for heavy multitasking, editing, gaming, media etc.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I think you are seriously overestimating the amount of people who use computers for multitasking, editing, gaming, media, ect.

Dex and future docking stations allows for that missing link found in smartphones for casual users. Physical keyboard, mouse and printer. If you need to get up, just grab your phone and go. If little jonny wants to play mobile strike on the big screen, he can drop his S8 on the cradle and goto town.

Most people do not need all that computing power these days. This fills a gab sorely needed

15. what

what Member

Exactly, most people just would like to pop the phone into a dock and watch Netflix, or send an email or get on Facebook.

Me personally, word is really the only program I use heavily, other than my brower and outlook.

Also not having to sync everything with my business app and word is huge. Everything is at my fingertips

Not only that but there are some apps that are better than anything you can find as a desktop version like NBA game time for example

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'm not saying I don't see where this is helpful or targeting a certain user spectrum.
    I was replying to his "99%" sentiment, which does not mirror the pc market in my opinion. And "little jonny wanting to play mobile strike" isn't what I would refer to as gaming.
    For some insight: According to studies done by ESA, Intel and others, there have been 1.2 billion pc gamers in 2015, with over half of them playing actively.
    Now add all the other categories I've mentioned (media, editing, multitasking etc) and I think it should be obvious that pc usage statistics aren't what you guys make them out to be.

TheMystery008 likes this.
  17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

This has been the future of computing since the advent of netbooks, smartphones, and tablets. Most users do not require all the processing power of a desktop computer. The market is fragmented right now with multiple devices doing more or less the same functionality.

Even console gaming is proving this possibility with the Nintendo Switch; one device with multiple roles.

The question is will Apple get onboard with their iOS ecosystem and unify multiple devices into one; interoperability between iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, MacBook, and Mac using docking system. The technology is under patent already.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/23/iphone-macbook-hybrid/

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If the S8 Premium is actually released in the US market it will have 6GB of RAM and 128GB storage. Makes the need for a desktop obsolete for probably 90% of consumers.

19. what

what Member

If not this year than next year. The good thing about smartphones, you get an updated version every year.

The only real risk is if Dex fails completely (which is possible) and Samsung ditches the idea. Not sure how committed they are with it.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What?

Stupid idea.

How am I supposed to use my computer and phone at the same time?
    How can I run programs which don't exist on Android?
    How much is this going to **** up my phone battery?
    <continued series of logical questions>