1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sampson as the coach so far....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Dec 5, 2012.

1. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

yeah because sampsons going to make illegal calls to recruit lebron james to the rockets.

brb making stupid statements brb

2. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

and it's also not fair to make him play sg when clearly he's a pg. he's done everything the coaching staff has asked of him.. play defense, play spot up shooting, defer to Harden. he never complains and i think he's done a fine job while improving. you have to reward these things, not kill his confidence more than they have. the guy you need to yank once in a while to teach a lesson to is Harden. his defense is horrible and he stunk it up in the Lakers game. very inconsistent.

3. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

exactly. this is the wrong team for this kind of stuff.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Again i say and read this carefully, 5 wins in 6 games. That is all that needs to be said. No complaining about anything else.

1 person likes this.
  5. TTNN

TTNN Member

Obviously Sampson's decision is the best for these 5 wins, what we don't know is whether he is building the team for the next 50 games or not, which might not be his responsibility, thus he don't really need to care, since he is only interim head coach.

I'm wondering whether Sampson would made the same decisions if he is not only hold accountable for only a couple of games, but the whole season, in those cases, maybe player development would be higher priority to him than now.

6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

adelman style

7. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

On surface, with last few wins and calm before the storm, he looks like a decent coach. When the pressure was on, he cracked. He wasn't able to adjust in accordnig to what oppsition threw at him (Blazers OT and OKC mid-court pressure). I didn't expect to win at OKC, but Sampson was untterly outcoached by Brooks. Mchale, being a championship ex-player, is logically better at game adjustment than Sampson, whom had never faced NBA pressure. What Sampson see is what is in front of him, while Mchale sees a bigger picture of the game.

I voiced loudly my negativities toward McHale before training camp but since then, I praise highly on what McHale is doing with this young team.

If Sampson ever becomes an NBA HC, he will make lots of mistakes along the way. Rockets, as a young team, are guaranteed to make lots of mistakes. The real question is, are we as so forgiven when our HC makes his rookie mistakes too?

The way we throw our players under the bus, I highly doubt it..........

1 person likes this.
  8. jocar

jocar Member

gtmkcp, pcheung08, pnr, I just wanna get this straight.. Do you guys really believe that Sampson should keep Lin in when he's not doing well/not making shots, just to give him a chance to "redeem himself" or "build his self confidence" at the possible expense of a team loss? And that Lin's lack of confidence, lack of aggressiveness on offense is Sampson's fault- as if he's picking on him?
    Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

9. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

You guys are blowing this Lin thing way out of proportion, and I'm only on page 2...

10. wendzall

wendzall Member

did people see the same game i did? because in the one i watched, lin played well (especially defensively) until he got 2 fouls and was benched early in the first. then as toney played with very well, lin didn't get back in till the mid of second. then in the third when he got his 4th foul the coach took him out and didn't put him back in again for the remainder of the game. he was 2 for 8 which looks bad but is not far from 3 of 19 (harden), and 5 of 16 (parsons).

lin has been taking less shots, which can be viewed as lack of aggression or a desire to distribute the ball more.

lastly, a major contribution to lin's misses and his low shooting percentage is that his shots usually come as a last option after it has gone around the other player options. if we note how most of his shots are near the end of the clock, we can get a whole different perspective of why his shots may not be falling as easily. would love to see a numbers breakdown for this!

11. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Are you kidding me?. you though Harden would be averaging 24-5-5 at 23when we traded for him?. lool. Harden has met all expectations and more

12. nbafever

nbafever Member

http://newsok.com/collected-wisdom-...mer-oklahoma-basketball-coach/article/3733919

great article on Sampson and some of his ideas on coaching the Rockets

For the youngest team in the league, McHale and Sampson and the whole coaching staff has been good.

I like the way Sampson communicates--very homespun and concrete. Easy for the players to grasp. Things like 'countryox strong,' 'chasing two rabbits,' his baseball analogy last night of using up all his repertoire of pitches, and how he described Royce White in the past--'when he's on, he's like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Independence Day etc rolled into one; but when he's not playing well, he's like someone in the Witness Protection program.

Funny but spot on with the punchlines. I'm sure the players love listening to him

13. nbafever

nbafever Member

PLUS he's ballsy in his coaching moves--he doesn't play safe, he takes risks, such as benching Lin for TD in the POR game; doing the Hack-a-Howard; etc

14. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

this!

you think our players aren't developing?:grin:

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Lin plays bad sometimes and hack a ho won us the game. What you expect him to do? Stay with the starters all game?

16. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

That wasn't the case at that time.

17. sydmill

sydmill Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa! To all the guys in the first few pages blasting Sampson for sitting Lin in the fourth when he played like garbage, 2 points. First, how did Lin get his start with NYK? Injuries, but also because the guy in front of him wasn't getting the job done. Do you think he, as a Harvard man, is so daft he doesn't realize that the nature of the beast (ie playing guys who are playing well) has benefitted him to the tune of $25 million? He is not a child. NBA players, like us,all know they get paid to do a job. Whereas I might get fired if I screw up at work, he gets benched. Big deal. If this bothers him as much as some of you make out, he needs to take his money and go play somewhere else because its a fact of life, everybody needs the team to win or coaches get fired, players get traded and gms get shown the door. Second, does anybody remember Kenny and Cassell? Did Kenny let the fact first Scottie (he'll always be Scottie to me...) brooks and then Sam played the fourth quarter stop him from trying his best to make that flat 3 point shot in the time he did get to play or did that motivate him to make the most of the minutes he did play? I have held my tongue for weeks reading this drivel. While many of you are both rocket and Jeremy Lin fans the focal few who will not be happy unless Lin shines (and if the rockets win too, great) are maddening. You guys have let your need for Lin the player to prosper despite what is best for the team cloud your judgment. one can only suppose this is due to either his ethnicity or that you all bought into the hype despite the facts showing that for the majority of his career Jeremy Lin was a marginal player. I hope he proves that linsanity was not an aberration but rather what he is capable of given the chance to shine. But the thought that he is entitled to that chance to the detriment of the team and that the team should sacrifice at the feet of your messiah shows an utter disregard for the team concept and an understanding of team sports. I wish you all would just start a Jeremy Lin is greatest thing since sliced bread thread and keep your moronic posts segregated from people who are interested, invested, in this team. I hope you all are just 12 year olds who have never followed the team prior to this pr stunt signing rather than people who have been on board but are drinking the "we must promote Lin to a status he hasn't earned" Koop-aid.

18. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Apparently, Sampson is married to K. Lowry.

19. pistol111847

pistol111847 Member

Don't burst a blood vessel! So Lin played poorly and that's why he sat the 4th quarter? So why wasn't Harden sitting then??

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

harden isnt shooting less than 39% for the year and is obviously the better playmaker. You don't take TMac out because hes shooting bricks.