1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sampson as the coach so far....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I am so sick and tired of hearing people complain about Lin being benched. The Rockets have played 17 games. How many times has Lin been benched? Lin averages almost 34 minutes per game, while shooting only 38%. It looks to me like the coaches have been very patient and supportive of Lin up to this point. The Lin fans are ridiculously sensitive about everything surrounding Jeremy Lin. The Rockets went out and signed Lin to a great contract, he is their starting PG, and he is playing 34 minutes per game. Do Lin fans really want Lin to get all the minutes at PG. This is silly.

I fully support the way that both coach McHale and Sampson have used Lin this season.

1 person likes this.
  2. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Ugh...people have their own opinion I guess. Just ignore my post if it makes you sick. Take good care of yourself, eh?

3. bongman

bongman Member

i feel that in order for this to have any meaning, we need to get Jeremy's take on Sampson's coaching. I wouldn't be surprised if he said the same thing.

4. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

I wouldn't be surprised either. Plus, I don't even think he'll say anything bad against any player as well.

5. M4-Nightvision

what kind of an offense is the rockets running? Jeremy dribble up the court and hand off to Harden, Harden dribble dribble shoot or drive, While Jeremy stand in the corner as a spot up shooter.

6. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I think Sampson is doing his job...being a coach. Over the past few games he's adjusted and it looks like he is learning from his past errors. He was right benching Lin because of foul trouble and not playing as good. TD got hot, and Smith stepped up. End of story. We got the rest of the season and the teammates all seem to genuinely like each other. Now if he could clamp down on their defense...lol. Offensive boards were amazing though.

7. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I likie the cat.I think he is doing a very good job.I still wish he woul play the rooks though.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Millionaire status?

9. pistol111847

pistol111847 Member

Sampson is a dirt bag who lost his coaching job in college because of scandal. Once a dirt bag always a dirt bag.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We won last night cause he kept Greg smith in the game instead of asik

11. split41

split41 Member

Thank you!!

While I like the results of Sampson's tenure, I don't think he's better than McHale. McHale is a leader of the team that the guys respect and play for, Morey has continuously said this. Sampson may be winning games in the short-term, but his decision making isn't great. Lakers game it was obvious that the starters should be benched (including Harden, but I assume he was left out there so defences keyed in on him and he would be able to get guys open looks), but benching Asik against Miami, Lin against Portland is a good example of poor decision making.

It's damaging for the team in the long-run. These guys haven't developed their chemistry, this isn't the spurs, they're young and need to work out their kinks together. We would lose more game surely, but we'll be a better team in the long-run for it.

I agree that Harden-ball isn't the way to go, but that is both McHale and Sampson. Also, Sampson is operating under McHale's instructions so there's that too.

I said it before and I'll say it again I think he's building his NBA Head coach portfolio, while this is going to win us games now, this is detrimental to this young team in the long-run.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Huh? **** just got real

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Sampson has done a superb job so far. I've always been of the opinion that head coaches on the NBA level are basically "leaders" who keep the team together. And the Rockets have played together as a team, nothing to suggest a toxic locker room. Everyone for the most part have bought into it. Therefore, Sampson has been a great Head Coach.

Of course, I thought McHale was doing a great job too when half of clutchfans was calling for his head. So my view of a head coach is about is different from most people's.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

The real question is, did Sampson learn from his lesson in college, or was he rewarded for it and things that breaking the rules pays off. Because ultimately, while illegal recruiting calls and turning a blind eye to drug use are not that significant to his role on the rockets or in the nba, they are signs that he may be so focused on winning that chemistry may suffer before the big payout at the end. This is what happened to Nixon. It's easy to say it doesn't matter now, but ultimately, the higher you go, the bigger the fall when you feel above the law. So I think it's a legitimate concern, but I hope that Sampson is indeed a new man. But when I look at the big picture I see someone who has been elevated his entire career all the way to nba coach, so what consequences has he really faced, what deterrent has there been to discontinue doing whatever it takes to win. But what I will say is that sometimes cheaters can cheat so well that they end up at a point in life where they no longer need to cheat, and go legit. I see that all the time. The short cuts they use to take are no longer neccessary. And Sampson could be at that point now.

16. rokit

rokit Member

no divas on this team, IMHO, it has nothing to do with sampson

17. Arthurprescott2

Many on this board had some complaints at the beginning of the season, but Sampson has been adjusting and making the correct/necessary moves (though maybe a bit slower than some would prefer). He's doing a great job considering the fact that he's just an interim coach. Sorta does feel like this team is a college team anyway and he sorta coaches them that way. And guess what? It's working from the looks of it.

Could his offensive sets be a bit more varied? Sure.
    Could his defensive coaching be better? Of course.

But for stepping into a head coaching position for a team that was built seemingly on the fly, Sampson is doing pretty well. The most heartening part is that he does make/consider adjustments and constantly tinkers with the line-ups and rotations.

Granted, Sampson speaks to McHale 1-2 times a day while McHale keeps a close eye on the games and players. More likely than not at least 50% of the decisions are coming at McHale's recommendations.

18. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Sampson has improved a lot. Remember the time he forgot to put Asik back in the game and had to use a time out for that?

Having said that, I think the team has grown as much as he has, if not more, so I won't credit him too much for the recent wins.

Eager to see McHale back and take the team to the next level.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

First off, it's amazing how every freaking thread gets derailed with the Lin and Harden BS...

The question that was asked was how has Sampson done so far.. Not about Lin or Harden..

IMHO, Sampson has done a good job. His job is to keep the team afloat until McHale comes back and so far he has done that. This is not his team nor is it his offense. His job is to get the most of the players in the current offense and maintain team chemistry.

Sampson has done a good job with all of those things. He stays with the players that are doing well and you can see the players growing and learning each game.

If the Rockets were losing people on this board would be calling for Sampson's head... Yet they are doing pretty well and he gets no respect what so ever.. Just pitiful.. Just like the players are learning their new role, so is Sampson and so far he's doing a decent job.

T_Man

20. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Our defensive mentality has disappeared since McHale left. I hope he can bring the team back to where they were defensively