1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amico article regarding the sale of the team and our push for Carmelo.. Good Stuff

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VegasRocketsFan79, Jul 17, 2017.

1. VegasRocketsFan79

After 24 years of ownership, Les Alexander is selling the Houston Rockets.

Alexander made the somewhat surprising announcement in a press release Monday.

“I’ve made this decision after much deliberation with my family and friends, and do so knowing the franchise is in great shape with the players, coaches and management team in place,” Alexander said. “CEO Tad Brown will oversee the sales process with the league office, supported by my management team.”

Meanwhile, NBA commissioner Adam Silver had this to say about Alexander.

“Well-respected around the league, he has been an active and influential owner whose vision helped to grow the game globally, especially in China,” Silver said, also in a release. “Moreover, his philanthropy speaks just as powerfully as his ownership, with local libraries, women’s centers and homeless shelters all benefitting from his generosity.”

So what does an ownership change mean for the Rockets? Not often a whole lot, unless you’re one of the people behind the scenes. Some owners prefer to bring in their own people when it comes to corporate sales, marketing, security, and so on.

But the jobs of general manager Daryl Morey, coach Mike D’Antoni and many others on the basketball staff likely won’t be too disrupted — provided the Rockets keep winning. Most of those people, like the players, are under contract, and new owners aren’t often in a big rush to pay them off, just because.

Here’s more out of Houston:

• Houston billionaire Tilman Fertitta told the Houston Chronicle he has an interest in buying the Rockets. “I definitely have an interest,” he told the newspaper. “Just hope it doesn’t go for crazy numbers. I’ve never really wanted to own a professional team outside of Houston. Houston is my hometown.” Fertitta is the founder and CEO of the the Landry’s restaurant chain.
    • The Rockets have officially signed free agent forward Tarik Black, according to the team. This is Black’s second stint with the Rockets — a stint with the Lakers sandwiched in between. The Rockets used their mid-level exception ($3.2 million) to sign Black, according to ESPN.
    • The Rockets are expected to make another major push for New York star Carmelo Anthony, despite the recent pause in talks. Anthony reportedly is making it clear he does not want to remain with the Knicks and he does not want to add anyone to his wish listbeyond the Rockets and Cleveland. Morey, it has been said, still believes the Rockets are the frontrunners.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

In Morey We Trust

Rudyc281, RocketsFan0, adw and 4 others like this.
  3. jacoby

jacoby Member

I have to give it to Amico. He's been a publisher of fake news for years now and still gets tons of clicks on his articles.

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Fertitta is sadly mistaken. It will sell for a crazy number. My guess is $1.6 to $2B.

Must be nice to be filthy rich!

adw and Coach E like this.
  5. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I thought the mid level was used on tucker not black

6. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

If Fertitta really said that then he isn't the right owner for this team. I question his willingness to spend enough to put the highest quality product on the floor. Need someone with Bezos or Ellison-level money.

7. Coach E

Coach E Member

I think 2+

DonKnock likes this.
  8. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

As a majority owner of an ownership group, I could see. Honestly, if he is sole owner, the other poster above is correct that he sounds like he won't pay for a championship.

We need him to team up with Beyoncé and Yao at the very least. Maybe Beyoncé can drag Jay-Z into the mix even though he isn't a Rockets fan.

CRJ713 likes this.
  9. DanTony!Toni!Tone!

If Fertitta buys, maybe we can get some cheap sea food during games..haha. What can I say, I used to have a huge soft spot for Willie G's.

But he isn't getting this cheaply.
    The team should go for close to 2 billion.
    Ballmer spent 2billion on the Clips a couple of years ago. There is no reason to think the Rockets aren't worth are least that and maybe more. Remember, the Clips have to share a city with the Lakers where the Rockets have the entire Houston metro area on lockdown.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Fertitta would likely be part of an ownership group instead of a single owner like Les was so either way, he's not going to be able to run the team like Les did either way. This day & age, unless you are Steve Ballmer level billionaire, its just a reality we will have to deal with (tight spending & slower to approve deals like cash for deals).

I think his Houston ties are a plus though, and I think he understands the spirit of the team being here for so long, and won't try and change things too much. For a PRIMARY owner, I think we could do alot worse even if he won't have the freedom to operate the way a Les Alexander did. Maybe he will have enough leverage over the investor group though to operate in that direction, but I doubt it.

Honestly though... this particular statement from him just making sure he feels out the market and doesn't shoot himself in the foot by looking like an over aggressive buyer.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  11. baubo

baubo Member

Why post an article about Houston from a Cleveland hack who isn't even respected in Clevelnad?

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Very possible. The Rockets brand is not at the same level as the Lakers or Boston, but it is easily a top tier NBA brand in one of the largest cities in America. If the Clippers, who has never won anything, got bought for $2B, the Rockets could fetch a higher number.

13. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

What did Alexander pay for the Rockets from Charlie Thomas? Like $160 mil? NICE PROFIT!

Terrible memory just looked it up $85 million

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Les will be missed. We all may have criticized some of his dicisions but he is a better owner than Dolan, Herbert Simon, the maloofs, and half the owners in the NBA. Les had a knack for thinking outside of the box by drafting a guy like Yao Ming, and getting a GM like Morey who we have no idea where he came from. I hope our new owner has the ability to be a pioneer and work outside the box the same way.

D-rock, ico4498 and Fullcourt like this.
  15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You may be confusing him with Amick.

He's the hack you're looking for.

16. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

1.6-2B =crazy? you need to think bigger

BigShasta likes this.
  17. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Exactly. If you are looking to buy a house, would you publicly tell the current owner "this is my dream home and I'm willing to pay whatever it takes"?

I think he'd be a great owner, though almost certainly as part of a consortium with minority investors (as have the Texans and Astros).

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Amico does a great job of regurgitating the work of better sourced and more talented writers.

19. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

To put things in perspective, Apple is worth 786 Billion, Alphabet is worth 673 Billion. 2 Billion is like their daily fluctuation. Considering Les held on to the team for 24 years, it's not that crazy. In silicon valley companies under 2 years could sell for more than that.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I estimate the sale for the Franchise to be approx $1.7-1.8 billion. Les' will try to get 2...but settles around 1.8.