1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick, USA TODAY: How Daryl Morey launched Houston Rockets to contention

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Oct 25, 2013.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

HOUSTON — Daryl Morey had heard the chatter in NBA circles that his time as Houston Rockets general manager and unofficial poster boy for the next front-office frontier might be nearing an end if he didn't turn things around soon.

But he paid it no mind because the rumblings never came from the man who had brought him to town six years ago: Rockets owner Les Alexander.

"I heard second hand those rumblings, and it never made sense to me," Morey tells USA TODAY Sports. "Maybe because I knew Mr. Alexander had a lot of faith in what we were doing and was really an architect in a lot of the strategy, so we were executing on a plan and the owner knew it.

"I think that, yeah, if we hadn't been able to turn the corner like we hoped, then at some point he probably says, 'Hey, I've got to change horses,' and that's fine. That's his right. I wouldn't have been bothered.

"But he had a lot of belief in us, and I don't forget that."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rd-james-harden-houston/3189339/#twitterstfcf

2. NotChandlerParsons

3. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Good read!

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This guy should be a Clutchfans legend. The man who broke the news on DH12 signing in Houston. God bless you Sam Amick.

5. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

THE NERD WON!

[​IMG]

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Bull... It was that the "barber".

Best thread ever.

7. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

i concur

8. bmd

bmd Member

Daryl Morey took a great big doodoo on the entire league this past year.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

"Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor."...:cool:

We can all learn something from this quote! WHEN opportunity comes around you have to be ready and pounce on it like there's no tomorrow.

Kudows to Morey for putting the organization in a prime position to contend for the foreseeable future!

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

does that make me legend by association for being the first to break his news on CF? :grin:

11. entaro

entaro Member

Opportunity is not a saxophone, DON'T BLOW IT!

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Sorry, nobody remembers the first guy to hear Paul Revere.

13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

The Philly article is hilarious when read today. I think it was written right before the Harden trade and all the media "experts" thought they had ammunition to write about the failed "moreyball" experiment.

The article goes on to praise the Sixers for hiring the more traditional choice in Tony DiLeo as GM instead of an analytics guy. This is especially hilarious given their recent hiring of noted nerd Sam Hinkie. Oh the irony.

14. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

Great thread, loved the articles of the past. This year is going to be LEGENDARY! Not only do we have 2 top 10 players in the starting line up, but we also have a secondary unit that could start in the East and make the playoffs. This is going to be a great year.

15. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Much of the credit belongs to Les Alexander who believed in Daryl and the plan enough to see it through. In addition, unlike Philly/Phoenix etc. we didn't have to endure (tanking) losing seasons to arrive at our destination. Can't wait to sign a waived Emeka Okafor as the final piece to the championship puzzle :grin:

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What's ironic is that if we would have gotten Howard originally when we wanted him, we would probably not have him now.

17. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Very true. On top of that, we wouldn't have Harden for sure.

18. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know what Morey's final offer to Orlando was, but it was possible that Morey held back a bit at the end due to the injury/Fegan warnings. I mean, Orlando got absolutely no lottery pick at the end, just a bunch of likely low 1st rounders. Nowhere close to what Morey could've offered if he really went after it. IMO, the actual deal was nowhere close to what most pegged as the Rockets offer of KMart(worth a 1st himself in trade value), 2 lottery picks(Lamb and Toronto's), and more picks.

20. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

So Howard confirmed that he opted in with Orlando 2 years ago, forgoing free agency, just to avoid being traded to Houston! Wasn't it Doc Rocket that hinted that we were getting Dwight at the deadline that year? He was right all along.