1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick on Sixth Man Stigma

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...nobili-andre-iguodala-isaiah-thomas/18883329/

Interesting piece with quotes from Manu Ginobili, Andre Iguodala and Isaiah Thomas.

I wonder if this explains Iggy not performing well this season and potential chemistry issues in PHX (which Bill Simmons speculated about as the "body language doctor). Neither Iguodala not Thomas sounds all that happy about their roles. Not sure if Bledsoe and Dragic are happy with Thomas firing up shots all over the place gunning for their jobs, either.

2. Cranberry_Juice

The real concern here is Sam Amick reading Simmon's article then writing about the same topic and passing it off as his own idea.

3. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

The real problem is Sam Amick and Bill Simmons being journalists.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

"journalists" is a strong word for guys who write about sports.

5. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree. There's a short list of real sports (print) journalists.

David Halberstam
    George Plimpton
    William Knack
    Roger Angell
    Gay Talese
    Jim Murray
    Rick Reilly
    Tony Kornheiser
    Frank Deford
    Mitch Albom

My personal list, although I'm missing a few.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I know I shouldn't have been surprised, but I didn't expect Moreys' response in the Jim Rome interview regarding what players look for in FA to be "primarily money." I would have expected fit or city to be at the top.

Sometimes we forget that this is truly a business and these players are employees. We can idealize them as trying to win a championship every year, but the truth is they are trying to make a living above all else and take care of their families.

I guess we shouldn't be so hard on Asik for holding out.
    ------------

Also CH, you make a good point about Iggy. Part of the deal is also the fact that it is Harrison Barnes who gets to start aka a young and rising player looking to get paid. Once Barnes, Green and Steph (maybe even Lee) get their money, Iggy would surely get stiffed.

But you have to wonder how much is a player like him even worth in the new CBA? He can play fantastic defense and knows his role but is hardly a go-to-scorer. I'm thinking somewhere in the $14mill/per range.

It's crazy how much Gordon Hayward and Chandler Parsons have affected the NBA financial landscape.

#6 shastarocket, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  7. sixthman6

sixthman6 Member

Lies. Trust me, I should know.

1 person likes this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't know why people are complaining about Amick or this piece. He went out, interviewed players who either have done this role for a long time or are new to it. They gave what seem to be pretty honest quotes on the subject. This is not some sort of Yahoo Contributor Network or Rant Sports crap where the author takes news reports done by others and makes random pointless speculations.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Zach Lowe.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

No Woj?