1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick: JaVale McGee freed from Philly, Houston among potential destinations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2015.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

He would be stuck at the end of the bench when Howard returns. I don't think he would choose us.

2. Marteen

Marteen Member

If he wants to be here, you'd be nuts not to take him. I'd take him over Dorsey.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We would be shaqting a talented Fool

4. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

We are just giving Shaq and the rest of TNT opportunities to trash us, but this time they will have "video proof".

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure. We definitely won't be able to afford to keep him past this season even if he doesn't impress much.

So I'm looking at it as: who is a better option for the Rockets with 23 games and the playoffs remaining?

Joey Dorsey who has improved recently (not saying much), has spent training camp and 59 games with this team and coaching staff and generally seems like a great teammate attitude-wise?

Or Javale McGee who could not get a minute on the Nuggets who had playoff aspirations to start the season, is being waived at $11m by a team that is tanking, and is unanimously known as an extremely extremely low bball iq player with a questionable attitude who may need more than the last 23 games of a Western playoff team to not become a liability on the floor?

It's a risk. I can't say I know whether it's one we should take or not. It's probably 50-50. If we were talking about who to keep for 2-3 years, I'd take a chance on Javalee with our elite big man coaching staff. But if we're talking about the last 23 games + playoffs of the 3rd seed Houston Rockets - then the decision is not so easy.

Not to mention we'd have to cut Dorsey's guaranteed salary to make room for McGee.

I'd go knocking on Okafor's door before making that decision. If I was forced to choose between the two though, I'd keep Dorsey and accept that it's likely McGee will surprise someone this season.

6. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

The only way to shut TNT up is to win big. We desperately need another rim protector/ rebounder. I'd waive Dorsey in a heartbeat to get a healthy Javale McGee. He was always solid in limited minutes for George Karl off the bench in Denver.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

A frontline of Josh Smith and Javal McGee would take this team to another level

of stupidity.

Still interested though. Even if its just for comic relief.

1 person likes this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The first question that came to my mind was who to waive to open up a roster spot for him .... that doesn't complicate next years salary situation. Dorsey is guaranteed next season and even tho its just over $1m , that really could make things difficult for Morey when the offseason gets under way.
    Then again , if they operate over the cap from the get go in the offseason as I expect them to as its the only way they can retain the current level of talent .... it wont really matter other than to put them closer to the luxury tax.

9. i3artow i3aller

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kdb3vv-5ygI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. koldlaser

koldlaser Member

No thanks. Not looking forward to witnessing a dream team of horrible ft shooter in Houston.

11. hakeemthagreat

Joey Dorsey is probably a great guy. But the fact he's scrub that could potentially be a liability in the playoffs outweighs anything. All we need is size when Dwight goes out. Did you see the last few games? Lopez & Mozgov destroyed us. We are too small. McGee's presence alone can help us. Blocks, rebound & dunks, that's what we need when Dwight's out the game

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

not really. the Mavs signed Amare to play Backup center. No way he gets more minutes in Dallas than here.

13. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Same as Josh Smith situation.

Whatever contract he signs for, that much is reduced off of what Philly owes him.

So if Philly owes him $10 mill this year and $10 mill next year, and he signs for a 2 year/2 mill contract, Philly owes him $9 mill/season instead of 10.

Philly doesn't care about the cap hit, they are just looking to save whatever money they can.

14. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I'd take a shot on him for a cheap contract.

He tries really hard and is a good defensive big, he is just an idiot. At least he'd be motivated, I feel good coaching and smart players around can at least help him be less r****ded.

15. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Rebound, play defense and catch lobs

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Low risk, high reward player. We know what Dorsey is and we know how limited he is. If we have to rely on him, we are up **** creek.

With McGee, he has elite size and athleticism at a position of need. He has been unable to put together a great season in a while, but in 2011-12 and 2012-13, he was atleast somewhat productive.

You would hope you could make a insignificant sacrifice in Dorsey or Johnson, and since our organization is better than Denver/Washington, perhaps McGee could be turned into something useful.

17. Remlap

Remlap Member

Those Shaqtin' a Fool highlights of McGee ↑↑↑↑↑ are downright hilarious!

NOoooo thanks....

1 person likes this.
  18. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

He can run the break too

19. Rocket_Man_2.0

Hell Yes!! Rockets need a center. The more big bodies we have the better. McGee>Dorsey! No Brainer.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I am not interested personally. Don't see a role for him on the team.