1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Salt Lake City Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lady_Di, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Ok, I have to go there this weekend for a business venture...

I looked at Trip Advisor to see what we could do while we are there...this is what I see.

1 Mormon Tabernacle Choir
    2 Salt Lake City Public Library
    3 Red Butte Garden
    Tours
    1 Salt Lake City Guided Tours
    2 Salt Island Adventures

Really exciting! :rolleyes: Yes I love to read but I am not going there to check out a library.

Any suggestions what we should do there besides punching a j*zz if I see one?

TIA!

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

4. Go to EnergySolutions Arena
    5. Pee on John Stockton statue
    6. Poop on Karl Malone statue

2 people like this.
  3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Park City isnt too far from SLC. Thats where the bars and better places to eat are. Or that is what I was told anyway.

I went to Provo for work. It is about an hour or so away. The BYU campus is there. There was also a lot of hiking, fishing, and other real outdoor type stuff to do.

1 person likes this.
  4. Garner

Garner Member

Drive over to Park City (it's an easy 25 minute drive) for the afternoon and go bobsledding down the 2002 Olympic track. They have summer carts. You pay a little money and have a pilot take you and whoever you are with down the course. Its a blast. They also have a little interactive Museum from the Olympic games to check out.

The town of park city is very nice (they have an outlet mall if you are looking for that) and has a brewery you can check out (be sure to have a Polygamy Porter) as well.

As for food, anytime I go to a new city I will google "Guy Fieri + Salt lake city" watch the clips from each restaurant he visits and go check them out myself. When I was in salt lake, I went to place with some killer Mole, believe it or not.

Enjoy your trip!
    Also, you are in Utah, so there will be state parks galore.

Have

1 person likes this.
  5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Go to Park City? I got nothing. I love southern Utah. Never done more than an overnight in SLC, though.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Form tackle anyone who is trying to stop a crime.

7. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Thanks guys! Actually, we are flying into SLC but staying in Provo but we have a friend who lives in SLC so will be hanging out with her.

Park City looks great.

Xerobull, I'm not sure if I get you? :confused:

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

1997 WCF

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

hispanic?????? :confused:

You're going to stick out like a SORE THUMB, chica. :eek:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Glad I stumbled on this one.

First, the food options. Cafe Rio is my favorite restaurant, and they're plentiful enough you'll find one wherever you are. There's one on 4th South, which is right near downtown if you're doing the downtown activities. Great fresh mexican food, pretty cheap, and everybody in town can direct you to where it is.

Crown Burger is a great burger place - also conveniently located downtown. There's also an awesome breakfast place called Bruges, I think it's on Broadway. People can direct you - amazing food there.

Also downtown, believe it or not, there is a big and FABULOUS coffee shop called the Salt Lake Roasting Company. I think it's also on 4th South. Nice place to chill out.

As far as stuff to do, walking around Temple Square is kind of one of those things you have to do if you're visiting Salt Lake for the first time - but part of that is going around the old Tabernacle.

If you can head out towards Park City, there's lots of great shopping and things to do - but it's a short drive, so you'll need a vehicle. Red Butte Gardens is also a nice stop, so I'd endorse that one as well. And you can always head up to the University of Utah (right off of downtown Salt Lake) and check out the Olympic torch from the 2002 games and so forth.

It's not the greatest tourist town, but there's enough to fill a weekend. Have fun! You'll find that Salt Lake really isn't as weird as most people think. I grew up there and, while I moved away about four years ago, I still miss different parts of it.

Provo on the other hand...blech.

1 person likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

As one would expect... the food is not very good.
    There really isn't anything exciting to do either.
    The place is relatively new, so not a lot of culture.

The only really cool thing is the parks and doing things outside.

Not THAT bad for a weekend...

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

really thats all there is to do there

and then drink coffee and any other caffeinated beverages out in public

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Whatever you do there, the place is beautiful.

I have bad memories of their basketball team (with Malone and Stockton out of there I hate them less, minus a few Kirilenko flops), and I was only there for a day, but what a place. Mountains on either side, you got the church, you got the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (practice is open to the public on....Thursday nights? Double-check!).

Not being Mormon, I wouldn't live there...that's the epicenter of its existence, after all. But very worth visiting.

14. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I'm guessing you're referring to the Red Iguana, because yes, that place has killer mole.

1 person likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My father traveled to Salt Lake City on a consulting job at the university, and when he came home, I asked him how it was. He said, "It's nice, but there's not much to do." Dad could always find stuff to do, so I guess that's why I remember the comment. Good luck, Lady Di!

16. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I'll echo slcrocket on the food options.

If you're looking for something like Chipotle, Freebirds, Baja Fresh, that kind of thing, you must go to Cafe Rio. I spent the first 19 years of my life in Houston, and the last 5 in Austin, and the place I crave more than any other when I want a burrito is Cafe Rio. I highly recommend the barbecoa pork.

Also love Crown Burger. (not necessarily the healthiest option, what with a big pile of pastrami on the burger, but yes... it's delicious)

There's an Indian food place in town that actually has some very good (and some unique) dishes called the Bombay House. There's one in SLC and Provo. One of my favorites.

Someone earlier mentioned the Red Iguana, which is great.

But those are just food options. Most people mentioned Park City, which is good if you're looking for trendy high end ski resort kind of atmosphere. You might also consider driving up Big Cottonwood Canyon or Little Cottonwood Canyon. Or there's the Alpine Loop. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_State_Route_92)

Down in Utah valley (south of Salt Lake but not quite to Provo) there's Thanksgiving Point, which is basically a huge 55-acre seasonally manicured garden that's pretty amazing to visit. There lots of different themed gardens to visit, including a Secret Garden based on the book. (http://www.thanksgivingpoint.com/visit/gardens/about/history.html)

Honestly even if you're non-religious Temple Square in downtown is practically a must visit if you've never been there before. The Mormon temple is probably the most recognizable landmark in the city, and it's pretty incredible up close. I actually recommend going to the Joseph Smith building next door and taking the elevator up to the top floor, or better yet going over to the Conference Center across the street and going up to the roof. The views are pretty great.

West of Salt Lake there's nothing really but the salt flats, and those are only cool if people are racing out there.

There's nothing north of Salt Lake but potato farmers. Booooooo.

17. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

:) Well done, sir.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Ban this peasant! for knowing,advertising and lying about that piece of **** place. You come into my city steps to sell us your ideas that come from our enemies, this is madness!

nah im just playing

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Drove through there last month on my way from Houston to Canada............Despite the fact that I had a crappy meal there, the place was beautiful. Couple of observations: amazing how much AT&T 3G signal Utah has in places where you see almost no other cars or signs of human life, Utah (or at least what I drove through) was beautiful.......sometimes I felt like Lightning McQueen driving through Radiator Springs, and the SLC metroplex is suprisingly big. I can't offer advice on what to do.......but I can say to keep an open mind. It REALLY looks like a place where you could enjoy yourself...........especially after spending a summer in Texas heat.

20. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Can't believe I forgot Red Iguana and Bombay House...well done.

If you hit up Red Iguana, go right down the road to Leatherby's for some awesome ice cream.