1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sad Day - Astros say No to Berkman

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Berkmaniac, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

They said no awhile back, which is the right move imo

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Smart move.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The right move, and glad to see it looks like Berkman took it with class.

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm not sad. I'm happy for the years that Berkman gave the Astros, but it is time to move on. I wish him nothing but the best, unless he goes to a division rival. Even then, I wish him mostly good things.

6. msn

msn Member

"Jilted by Astros". Justice is such a drama queen.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Berkman is a classy guy.

8. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Smart move on the Astros part. If they plan on truly rebuilding, Wallace needs to be out there and Berkman will take away from his AB's.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Right decision. Time to move on.

10. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Berkman was the last guy to show up, first guy to leave, and always opened his mouth and sounded like a jackass. You can only go on talent for so long without putting in the effort. Eventually oldness and fatness will catch up with you.

1 person likes this.
  11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

sad...but i hope to see him in a Ranger uniform to stay in Texas...Please not the Cards!!

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

As someone who's spent an enormous amount of time in that clubhouse, I can tell you that that is absolutely, positively untrue and ridiculous.

1 person likes this.
  13. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think it's a smart move by the Astros. I, for one, would be in favor of signing Berkman if it were on a low-risk contract and he would only come off the bench. I just don't think that's a possibility. He certainly is going to take a pay cut, but I don't think he'll take one big enough to warrant bringing him back. I also wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing more than we expect in the end. Taking at bats away from young players does the Astros no good right now.

14. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

I will vomit if I ever see him in a Cubs uniform.

15. msn

msn Member

I believe you.

But in mlwoo's defense (and I wish I had a link), I've read more than once about Berkman's carefree disposition--in articles that intended to paint him in a positive light, however. But nonetheless they talked about his not obsessing over film, his arriving at the last minute and never early, etc; guys in the locker room calling him "the Natural". I'm not saying the articles I read were right; just that I can see where someone could come away with mlwoo's impression.

16. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

I definitely do not have any inside info, but I would be VERY interested to know what kind of money Lance is looking for. I mean, we are paying Brandon Lyon 5 million a year for pete's sake. We don't know if Brett Wallace is the solution, and we don't have any other decent options for 1B. Lance is still a good player offensively and defensively. Again, I am only commenting on what I hear from Justice, Lance, etc in the papers/online, but it sounds like we didn't give him much of a thought. How do we just so quickly get rid of one of the best players in our franchise history? He has a good glove, and will still be a above average 1B for a few more years imo. Last year was really the only bad year he had, and he definitely picked it up the last couple of months.

17. The Cat

I know what you mean, but certain writers have a way of twisting their reporting to fit the narrative and picture they want to paint, as opposed to being an honest reporter. I'd rank Berkman among middle of the pack with Astros in terms of when he arrived, when he left, work habits, etc. He certainly could have been better, but there were many that were FAR worse. (Including one with an even bigger contract...)

It also really irks me when people say Berkman "sounds like a jackass". No, he's speaking the honest truth and saying what he thinks, and I absolutely love him for it. He doesn't speak in the blah cliches like everyone else and actually gives you insight into what's going on in his head. He should be commended for that.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

How are the numbers he's put up the last few years "above average"?

I'm as big a Lance fan as anyone, but it's time to move on.

19. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Berkman is one of my all time favorite players but there just isn't a spot for him on this team anymore. The Astros don't know if Brett Wallace is the solution but they have to play him regularly to find out.

20. The Cat

Um, his OPS in 2008 and 2009 was .986 and .907. That's WELL above average. I agree that its time to move on, but until 2010, he was very much an above average player. Elite, one could argue.