1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sacramento Kings possible move?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MIAGI99, Oct 17, 2009.

1. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

have you guys not seen any of the articles that have detailed the woes of the Las Vegas economy?

Vegas likely wasn't getting a team before the downturn in the economy, but it's sure not getting one now. Vegas is easily one of the top cities hurt the worst by the recent economic problems.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its a shame the Clippers have to wedge themselves securely into the Los Angeles landscape. As a way way outside destination possibility, I bet if they REALLY pitched moving the team to the Orange County CA area some people would consider it. Not saying Orange County is aching to have a team or even has any resources for a new arena. But if it was just the Lakers in LA, there'd be support in Orange County to have a team of their own simply to be a wannabe LA.

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Move to Seattle, change identity to previous Sonics.

4. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

It shouldn't, but that's the reality of the new NBA, made abundantly clear by the OKC Plunder leaving Seattle. Still, you'd have to be an idiot (Jerry Jones) to WANT to buy your own stadium, particularly if you're in a small market. If you look at the recent financing deal that Orlando pulled off (another relatively small market team), they're putting up around $50M and paying $1M per year for 25 years; and get all the proceeds from their games, get most of the proceeds from naming rights and luxury suites. Plus, they still get to control the construction of the arena. You're going to tell me that an owner is going to put up an additional $400M for the privilege of hiring their own booking staff, picking up all the admin costs, and having an enormous constantly depreciating asset that will make it so the team has no leverage in threatening to move and very hard to sell?

On topic, Arco is definitely deserving of an overhaul, it's over 20 years old, and one of the smallest in terms of seating capacity in the league. I really hope that Seattle would get the first crack at any new team, and I couldn't believe that any place in California has enough money to finance an arena right now.

5. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

they need to go to the east...cause the western conference already has enough teams

6. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

just kidding...im retarted

7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

They gotta move to Vegas. The naming possibilities are endless:

"Las Vegas Gamblers"
    "Las Vegas Hookers"
    "Las Vegas Strips"
    "Las Vegas Blackjacks"
    "Las Vegas Craps"
    "Las Vegas Slots"
    "Las Vegas Spades"
    "Las Vegas Sinners"
    "Las Vegas Studs"

8. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I agree Seattle should be the first option for a city to obtain an NBA team but they have the same problem Sactown has, the taxpayers won't pay for a new arena.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know about that. I think they might be able to build a pretty successful model on tourist business. They'd have to sell tickets a bit differently than other franchises, but Vegas can probably produce a steady stream of high-margin tourist buyers.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

their economy will bounce back better than sacremento. However, we know that KEVIN JOHNSON is the major there and keeping the NBA there is a major goal of his.

The problem with Vegas is not the tourists, it's the real estate meltdown and the credit markets.

If there is a team in Vegas, that would be every team's favorite road trip for sure.

11. JuanValdez

I think the Vegas Kings sounds awesome. I wouldn't even change it.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Possible Destinations?

Seattle
    San Diego
    Vegas

I think we will see Memphis and Charlotte moved first. I can't see Seattle going long without a team.

13. worzel gummidge

The Grizzlies aren't going anywhere. They either legally can't or would need to pay an incredible amount of money to their city.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I see what you mean. Looks like they won't be going anywhere for a while. They need to move eventually though. Memphis can't sustain that team.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I thought consumers spent themselves out of their own jobs and tanked the economy? I'm lacking in economics, but if that were the case wouldnt Vegas BENEFIT from exorbitant consumer spending? Anyways,

I know celebs and popular athletes can use prestige by itself to get elected office. But I'm sure Sacramento already being an NBA city played a key part in Kevin Johnson's election. Him letting NBA go when he's an NBA mayor would seem ironic. That'd be like Michael Jordan being the mayor of Chicago and letting the Bulls go.

(Who here would elect Rudy T as mayor of their city? *raises hand*)

16. BleedsRocketRed

Kansas City needs the Kings back. They got a brand new top of the line area in the Sprint Center designed for an NBA capacity crowd. If anything, KC and St Louis are probably the 2 biggest markets out there missing a professional NBA team. KC already has a head start with htier 2 year old arena.

17. JuanValdez

Given the options we have to choose from next month, I'd vote for Rudy T too.