1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett named the Texans starting quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Different isn't always better

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Becuase The team isn't making the playoffs and Fitz isn't the future of the team. Fitz was always a stop gap. Mallet's a lotto scratch off that will probably be bust but they need to find out now since he is a free agent next season.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've heard the story both ways, who knows which is accurate.

4. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

explain to me how do you know this?.. Mallett hasn't played down of regular season football...Peyton Manning isn't elusive. An Tom Brady had one of the slowest 40 at the combine. You don't have to be fast to manipulate the pocket. I'd rather my QB taking a step to the side and avoiding a rusher and completing a 20 yd pass rather running for 4 yards everytime he feels pressure. And Fitz wasn't even fast. He ran most of time because he's just flat out scared to throw the ball because he knows he can only throw 10 yds down the field.

Everyone , Lets just go with the wait and see approach. Stop Judging a guy that we've never seen play a game after learning under brady.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

Mallet won't be better than Fitz mark my words. He may have more talent but he's just not a better QB. This move has nothing to do with winning games. This move is about seeing what Mallet's got.

My guess is Savage starts by week 14.

6. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

A lot of hate for Mallett... I don't understand why TBH he has all the tools and people act like mallett is the first QB in NFL history that isn't considered mobile.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

This has more to do with Mallet just not being accurate. Who cares if he's not moble? I get it, Kool-Aid and Hype are really fun to have when you team sucks.

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

That settles it, if you say so. Im done watching. I was so looking forward to watching Fitz bumble his way through the whole season but now I have nothing. :rolleyes:

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

You sound as if you don't like the move. And do you have any footage of Mallet pocket awareness, elusiveness and accuracy issues? Please share

10. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

how do yall know he's not accurate? We haven't seen him play!!!.. Just hope for the best

11. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

He doesn't.. He never seen him play in the nfl , just like 100% of NFL followers

12. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

What film do you have?

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

This was a great move and I hope the young man exceeds those that are hating on him expectations. Dang give the man a shot before shooting him down.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm indifferent. It's a change for the sake of change but since the season is already pretty much over it doesn't matter. He's played several preseason games, take a look at them. He's pretty awesome when it comes to throwing at the feet of receivers 10 yards downfield.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The QB/OL relationship is symbiotic; Fitzpatrick was part of the problem: he held onto the ball too long; he checked down too often (which is why teams were starting to put more players in the box ). And when given time, oh by the way, he was consistently inconsistent.

I disagree. I think its commendable - and, longer-term, encouraging - that he diagnosed a problem and acted upon it swiftly. Fitzpatrick was a perfectly adequate QB for seven weeks; he was terrible the past two - yanking him tells me O'B was not oblivious - all these charges 'round these pasts of him being arrogant and stubborn... turns out he had given Fitzpatrick the perfect amount of rope.

The Texans were going to see 7 weeks of 8 defenders in the box, with teams intent on taking Foster out of the equation. O'B (IMO) was correct to diagnose - proactively - that the team could not survive it as is.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Fitz's first vs second half:

[​IMG]

17. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Andre seems to like Mallett

18. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Anyone who doesnt think that Fitzy was our main problem on offense is wrong.

All we see when we watch him play is the passes he doesnt make and him getting a few yards with his legs.

I would be interested in seeing how many missed reads he has and why he doesnt dump the ball of the TEs enough.

The defense is bad but that's what happens when your QB can't keep the team on the field.

Not saying that Mallet is the answer, but I got tired of seeing wins slip away. If we're going to lose at least do it in a manner that will help you in the future.

If Mallet is not the guy, well then let him go after the season, move one and find someone else in the draft. YOu want to trot out Savage? If the season is lost, then go ahead.

Risk vs. Reward here is very obvious. The reward is finding a competent QB or maybe even better.

We have the Rockets season to keep us engaged with a winning team, so I am all good.

19. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

So you don't have gametape?..we talking about preseason?..lol

20. Summer Song Giver

What's to argue, it should be clear to EVERYONE that Fitz wasn't the answer for any team at QB; why not try something else?