1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett named the Texans starting quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Y'all have really short memories.

Arian's TD was 20 yards in the air from LOS.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuwoFiP1YWk

Also.

[​IMG]

And.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byex2vOuEvg

I'm sure there are others, but these stood out because they were TDs.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Probably not since he'll need time in the pocket to let that type of play develop and he cant extend plays with his legs. Maybe they'll install a WR sweep pass or something.

3. AFS

AFS Member

I'm expecting similar playcalling, but I think they'll take advantage of Mallet's big arm to take a few more shots downfield. Just having that downfield threat might open things up for the rest of the offense.

4. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Probably on one of the first plays ala Chip Kelly.

I expect to see a different--more aggressive offense. Nothing to lose.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

They did what?!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Mal: My football IQ is a lot higher than people give me credit for. I like that. Let them think I'm a dumb player.</p>&mdash; Dale Robertson (@sportywineguy) <a href="https://twitter.com/sportywineguy/status/530051803535011840">November 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I predicted that BOB would make the switch now...and voted on a prior thread. I am now here to collect my prize...:)

Anyways...lets see what Mallet has...Our receivers still need to uncover and this team has to use the TE's(channeling my inner Kubiak)

7. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

A few weeks too late but this is the obvious move. Fitz looks like he doesn't need to be in the league at this point. It's likely Mallet isn't the answer at QB either but it would have been irresponsible of OB to keep trotting a guy out there who is inaccurate and can't throw the ball past 15 yards. A guy like that gives you zero chance especially if Foster is injured.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well honestly we have less of a chance with Mallett out there because he can't extend plays with his legs like Fitz did all the time and Mallett isn't an accurate passer either. He has a cannon for an arm, but that doesn't really help you when the O line isn't blocking and your QB can't extend plays. Either way, there's no reason not to give him a chance but I take this as proof that they've given up on the season.

9. conquistador#11

let's see if he has learned anything from brady other than matching emerald green pants. I'm expecting him to make quicker decisions, not holding on to the ball and targeting different areas of the field or maybe even targeting the TEs.:eek:

Colonel Fitzy of the Southern Calvary did an honorable job, team wide self inflicted meltdowns took away at least 2 victories from us but he's on the wrong side of 32, and for the franchise moving forward it's the best decision. I would have preferred Savage but that's not up to me. no comment. :p

Damn, just when you thought local radio experts would fokos and talk about our glorious unbeetabol record in basketbol, the texans go ahead an do this.
    fire kubiak!

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

You don't need to "extend" a play with your feet when you can actually throw over twenty yards and complete a pass. Right move, right time. If he flops, he flops. Go to plan z if necessary, but it was time to try something.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You need to "extend" a play with your feet when your O line doesn't block and you are getting hit 2 seconds after the ball is snapped.....which will happen often unless the O line decides to start playing better.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

well Mallet actually is capable of throwing downfield... something Fitz physically cant do

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Payton Manning and Tom Brady careers are the most recent examples that you do not have to be elusive in order to win in this league. You have to make good decisions, protect the ball, and have great awareness...

Could care less if he cant scramble...I do care if he can make the throws. He hasnt had opportunities like what he will have now...Good luck Ryan Mallet...you are gonna need it.

14. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Both of those are examples of QB's who are a LOT more elusive than Mallett and QB's who have never had an O line that blocks as poorly as the Texans' O line does.

16. SuraGotMadHops

This will be exciting for two games, a la Keenum last year.

17. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

About time ... not that I think Mallett is the answer, but to me at least this is trying. With Fitz, mediocre was the absolute ceiling. At least there is some unknown to Mallett so we can see how he does on the field with consistent game action.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He must be above average to replace Fitz.

I just hope he's competent.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Classic example of making a change for the sake of making a change.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, just heard him say this on Sportsradio 610. Gave me a really good chuckle.