1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Hollins: James Harden should be the unanimous MVP over Giannis Antetokounmpo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Apr 12, 2019.

1. SemisolidSnake

Get used to it. We won't know for a couple more months.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Voltik, Tfor3, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For context this is accurate. And it is worth considering when looking at bias.

Nook likes this.
  4. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

From the graph, Curry, Lilliard, Kyrie, and Kemba are much worse defenders than Harden. But you never hear that from the media.

Tfor3 and D-rock like this.
  5. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Great point. Which also makes me think the comparison to Russ' MVP award is less than the comparison to Steph's MVPs. Harden's offense outshines Giannis' complete game. Like Steph, Harden's offense changed the entire league's approach to defending him. Entire defenses tried to tackle him and he conquered.

Ryna was wrong tho.... we were 14th, not 12th, in standings.

Dishonest question from Will Cain: "Who's better Chris Paul or Khris Middleton?"
    Honest question: "Who was better this season between the their supporting casts?"

D-rock, rhee, Handles and 1 other person like this.
  6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Love how Mcdouche says that steals aren’t a good indicator of defense but blocks apparently are even thou Giannis only has 0.8 more per game than the “crap d” of Harden. That’s 1.5 bpg...is that suppose to be great? I dunno it doesn’t seem to be.

#46 Severe Rockets Fan, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    D-rock, DreamShook and vince like this.
  7. Handles

Handles Member

Hollins is smart enough to recognize game, but he’s not smart enough to shut these fools down. Put nick wright there and see what happens. Put morey there and see what happens. Put anyone that can make an argument there. I love that hollins recognizes our dude but he’s not respected amongst casuals and they write off what he says. Same for Paul pierce and nick wright and anyone that backs harden. People hate hearing the truth when it goes against their preconceived bias.

D-rock likes this.
  8. vince

vince Member

I would not have a problem someone preferring Gianis over James, or the other way around. It boils down to a personal choice, of what quality a player has that makes him superior to his peers. But to completely discredit either guy, and it seems a tendency to take side swipes at Harden for years by the sports national media, well it’s frustrating; there is a narcissistic view in the media regarding their own opinions, belittling anyone who offer an intelligent contrary opinion.

Where did respect for the facts go? Where you agree to disagree about the qualities a player has that adds value to winning.

Voltik and pippendagimp like this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ryan Hollins is pretty much universally hated.

So naturally, media thought it'd be a good idea for Hollins to argue for Harden to win MVP.

Handles likes this.
  10. plates300

plates300 Member

I like Giannis as a player, I have no problem with him being voted as MVP. But the media shaming of Harden is unreal. Every time Harden has done something for the record books, there's always someone out there ready to discredit Harden. Fine. If that's the case then Giannis should have the same done to him. Where has his team been the past couple of years without Budenholzer? Fodder. East fodder. No chance Giannis could carry a team to the ECF if he had the same circumstances as Harden. Harden carried a team coached by Kevin McHale to the WCF for crying out loud. He's been putting up crazy numbers and carrying teams since he got to Houston regardless of coach, both during the regular season and during the playoffs. If Harden isn't MVP then fine - but don't make it an agenda to discredit how great he has been for the game of basketball.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

So blocked shots are "defense, my friend!" But steals aren't? Deflections aren't? Post defense isn't defense?!?

Man, I hope Harden goes off in the playoffs and shuts these fools up.

D-rock, FLASH21 and Handles like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Last year a lot of voters subtly told you they wouldn't vote for him again. They just don't like him.

D-rock likes this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Kris Middleton and Eric Bledsoe we’re both better than CO3 this year.

For one... participation counts.

For two... they were better. Are there areas where CP3 is still better? Sure. But in the whole those 2 guys were better than CP3.

Most of these analysts don’t actually watch as much nba ball as rabid fans. With the advent of league pass folks like me can watch full games of their favorite team and meaningful stretches of 5,6,7 other teams a night.

I know a Eric Bledsoe and Kris Middleton were better than CP3 this year because I watched nba basketball.

Voltik, arubato, plates300 and 2 others like this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I fully believe that there is a ton of rigging going on and has been that way since Stern was the commissioner.

pippendagimp and Handles like this.
  15. Handles

Handles Member

As a dude who has won lots of money betting against us during Scott Foster games (forgive me I was just testing a theory), I’d agree.

That said I can’t stop watching. I still believe players can beat refs when they’re on one. But players can’t beat media and MVP is a media award.

slothy420 and mikol13 like this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not sure if players can ever beat the rigging. but i still watch b/c it's bball and the players, who are truly masters of their craft

slothy420, Voltik and J Sizzle like this.
  17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Am I the only one who's so tempted to punch that Will Cain guy on his nose when kept yelling "Stop! Stop! Stop!" ?

Voltik and D-rock like this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You have to come with all your facts and figures when arguing for Harden. The same lame arguments should be easily swatted down.. Bring your notes. It's really easy to get lost when people start hurling that bullshit.

Holins did fine for an ex bball player going against two guys one of which is a lawyer.

Reeko likes this.
  19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

The crazy part is... THIS SHOULDN'T REALLY MATTER.

It's all about what the individual player has done for the team. Our player has been God like with impact on record and their player has been overall solid on the team with the best record overall.

There are definitely guys that can put up the numbers Giannis has this season... Lebron, Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid. But none of them can break the records that were set by Wilt Chamberlain the way Harden has.

D-rock likes this.
  20. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Most votes for Giannis is rarely founded on facts and stats, but rather on projections for the ideal player profile specifically a two-way player. The video exposes their binary way of thinking. Defense, yes or no? Harden, though markedly improved this year, receives zero credit; therefore, it's a "no". Their unwillingness to acknowledge his marked improvement on defense has made them thinking Giannis' net production is greater than Harden's.

The modified graphic is so true on so many levels.

D-rock likes this.