1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Anderson makes $18.74 million

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Pride, Nov 16, 2016.

1. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ryan Anderson spaces the floor. Keeps the paint operable for Harden to carve inside.
    Think if you had Milsap and Capela in the paint. Creates too much traffic.
    Then if you had a non shooter occupying the outside like RYNO does and Capela on inside as Harden dives in, defender on the outside can leak in and clog the paint further.

He's worth the $18mil for this current Rockets build.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Did you watch wiltjer when he played for the rockets this year? He was very timid and very hesitant to shoot or do anything. It seemed like the pressure of the NBA was too much for him. He didn't shoot good at all when he actually would take a shot.

He's much closer to being released for cap space this summer than he is to becoming a rotation player.

I like the kid and hope he progresses and becomes our future Ryno but he still needs some serious work.

YOLO and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Ryno is really struggling. He looked like he had found his legs towards the end of the year, but he has been awful so far this series.

I still believe in him as a spacer, but if he doesn't hit a few shots nobody is going to bother closing out.

Williamson likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Right now anything from Wiltjer would be gravy. This is why he should have been playing with the Rockets all season.

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Anderson is also having to use up more leg energy than normal in playing defense and trying to keep OKC bigs off the boards much more than he would during the regular season. Shooting the 3 ball in the playoffs is just much different.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I still can't believe anyone is dumb enough to want Wiltjer out there replacing Anderson. He is slower than old Ryno with past back injuries despite never logging big minutes in the league. That's why he is not out there. If you guys thought Ryno was slow, wait until you see Wiltjer in action. There is a reason why we don't play him unless we absolutely have to. MDA would rather march out Harrell as a stretch 4 than Wiltjer.

For those of you saying Anderson didn't do ****, did you guys just happen to miss the little things he was doing, especially down the stretch where he boxed out his man from reaching the missed shot as it ricocheted towards out of bounds? If he didn't do that, it would have been a key rebound for OKC. His shot didn't fall, that's fine. His D was crap, well no ****. That doesn't mean he was trash. Ryno is a smart player and is very game aware.

BigMaloe likes this.
  7. ilias

ilias Member

Agreed, he was worth it this year. If he stays healthy, he may be worth it next year too. But, I doubt he will be worth the $42m he is owed in the last two years of his contract. The way he is physically regressing, he will not be much more than a Steve Novak (in his NY days) type. In the summer of 2018 he will be untradeable. The downside of keeping him past this off-season is significant. Thus, Morey has to move this summer.

For example, Gallinari provides 80% of the spacing, plus he can put the ball on the floor, make the right pass, drive and finish, get to the free throw line etc. With Millsap you lose much of the spacing, but gain a lot in other ways. Ibaka could be the ideal compromise (can shoot the 3 plus defend/rebound). We could also shift Ariza to the 4 and get a 3&D small forward like Ingles (leaving enough money on the side to add a defensive 3/4 for the bench like Tucker). We could even have enough cap space to get Gallo plus Ingles (around $33m cap space if we off-load Anderson). Or we can develop someone internally over time (Wijlter, Dekker).

8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

1. Shooters are streaky, he is currently on a cold streak.
    2. He is a 40% shooter this season and 38% career from down town, he WILL bounce back.
    3. He shoots much better on the road than at home.
    4. Math, learn how it works. He will have games where he shoots 0-20%. He will also have games where ehe shoots 70-80%.

9. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Shooters tend to last longer even with declining physical ability. That said, I would definitely move him for someone like Milsap or Hayward.

10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Not a good series for him. He struggles against big bruisers like okc and memphis. If we make it to the 2nd rounf I expect him to look better

11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

He also struggles from home. Let's see how he does the next couple of games.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes definitely worth 18 and then some

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While he spaces the floor, right now, Ryan Anderson is making Ryan Anderson obsolete. I'm sure he'll bounce back strong and bust it with vigor on the road.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nevermind i just love having him on the team...

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

Millsap can stretch the floor as well, though obviously less and of course less lethal from three. He makes up for that with better defense, rebounding and inside game. Millsap is a go-to guy, Ryno less so. He has done great and will shoot better obviously, but I'd take a more physical defense inclined big over him tbh.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Ryno about to go ham in OKC.

17. basketballholic

His scrap minutes with the Rockets meant nothing. Put him in the rotation and with the starters and he'll be an upgrade.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

while i like Wiltjer and made that known when he was trying to make the team, he is no where near a rotational player at this point. And assuming out of the blue that he is some upgrade, based on no realistic evidence and just trying to make an assumption to prove whatever your own idea is, is not how the nba works

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. basketballholic

You can see it in his play. Give him major minutes and he'll out produce Anderson. All you gotta do is watch him play extended minutes.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

And in his play I don't see any of that. He still has a ways to go. You don't just plug and play and assume immediate results transpire. This isn't NBA2K. I've seen MDA yell at him on several occasions already when he was given minutes. don't see why you're trying to make him into something hes not

BigMaloe likes this.