1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Anderson: Fact vs. Fiction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 2, 2016.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice thread.

2. bmd

bmd Member

There is no way Anderson played 15% of the Pelican minutes at SF and 1% at C.

I watch the Pelicans and he hardly plays at SF ever, and he plays center sometimes.

If I had to guess, it would be 15% at C and 1% at SF.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Good guess. Bref says 14% at C and 1% at SF

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Sorry, I got them reversed

5. Ratman

Ratman Member

Hey if he lets other pfs score 100 a game but he scores 200 ill take him. This guys thread just toasted you you done now fam

6. bmd

bmd Member

Let me play devil's advocate here and post an article from August of 2015... so about 1 year old:

Mining the Numbers: The Dark Side of Ryan Anderson

I love me some threes. LOVE Them. It’s partly why I hate the Warriors, because all the threes belong to them.
    It follows then that I’d love Ryan Anderson . . . and I do. Like Graham McQueen posted a couple months ago, there are a lot of reasons we should be excited about Ryan Anderson and his potential in Alvin Gentry’s system. There is, however, a dark side to Ryan Anderson you simply can’t escape:

He makes your defense suck. Like really, really bad. Like awful. Like tire-fire bad.

You take the team’s big five of Asik-Davis-Evans-Gordon-Holiday, and replace Asik with Anderson and the offense gets 9 points per 100 possessions better. That’s huge as far as impact goes. The team’s defense? It gets 17 points per 100 possessions worse. For those of you not good at math, that’s huger.

Anderson is essentially taking a top 10 defense, lighting it on fire, and replacing it with the Knicks . . . without Carmelo. And this issue is consistent across the board. Insert Anderson for Asik in a line-up with Davis-Pondexter-Gordon-Evans, and the offense gets 11.5 pp100 better and the defense gets 14 pp100 worse. In the end, you won’t find a single line-up with Anderson in it that even approaches average defensively.

In addition, if you go to NBA.com’s stats tool and look at the worst opponent fg% at the rim for players who

A. Defended more than 5 attempts at the rim per game, and
    B. Played 24 mpg in at least 25 games

you get:

Enes Kanter (UTA) 57.3%
    Enes Kanter (Total) 56.9%
    Nikola Pekovic (Min) 56.5%
    Enes Kanter (OKC) 56.4%
    Gorgui Dieng (Min) 55.8%
    Jordan Hill (LAL) 55.4%
    Ryan Anderson (NOP) 55.4%

In other words, he’s almost as bad as all three versions of Enes Kanter – a guy who is hated by advanced defensive metrics so badly that he is panned as one of the worst deals this off-season, despite being a near lock for a 20-10 statline. Sheesh.

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2015/08/11/mining-the-numbers-the-dark-side-of-ryan-anderson/

1 person likes this.
  7. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not excited about RA at this $$$$ but we can all agree we need shooters. If he fits the system and stays healthy maybe he can outscore his counterpart.

Good research OP

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

My concern is this stat.

Over his 8 years in the league he's missed an average of 19 games per season.

9. cml750

cml750 Member

What does it matter how good he is defensively???? We will not be playing defense with Pringles as coach any way!!;)

10. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Here is an article chronicling his 2015-2016 season:

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2016/04/26/season-in-review-ryan-anderson-is-a-veteran/

Perhaps, the OP could add this to the original post.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I agree with this.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sounds like Dwight Howard.

13. Harden's beard

A little off topic, but that website has some really interesting stats that I've never come across before. Nice find, OP.

14. Harden's beard

The funny thing is Harden bashers never use these types of fact based argument when they rail against Harden's 'supposedly' atrocious defense, because it simply doesn't exist. You can do the same kind of analysis on Harden's D by examining how our team fares defensively when Harden is on/off the court, insert him in certain line-ups or whatever, in almost every case you'll find that Harden's presence or absence has zero to very minimal impact on our team's defense in general (and other advanced stats also back that up.) The prevailing narrative regarding Harden's defense is the prime example of how unreliable these 'eye-tests' really are.

Anyways, since it was clear from the signing of MDA as our headcoach that we are not going to focus on defense all that much, and we were in dire need for pure shooters on this team, I feel like this isn't a bad move at all, albeit not a great one either.

15. Mr. Clutch

This is laughable. Hardens defense is atrocious

16. Harden's beard

bring me the numbers

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Good analysis.

Rep'ed.

18. Mr. Clutch

Well first of all morey said there aren't any good public numbers. That said his drtg and defensive real plus minus metrics are quite bad.

19. Harden's beard

no, bring me the numbers which proves Harden's is as bad a defender as his reputation suggests. You can easily find one for Ryan Anderson, Damian Lillard, Enes Kanter or Kyrie Irving. Bring me one stat which shows Harden is literally at the bottom of this league defensively.

20. Mr. Clutch

Huh? I just said defensive real plus minus. Or you can look at rapm