1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russia hired 1,000 people to create anti-Clinton 'fake news' in key US states during election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...k-warner-intelligence-committee-a7657641.html

The Russians deserve a lot of credit if they were able to target key demographics in this manor. They must have some sophisticated data mining and analysis algorithms to correctly target people or maybe they just spammed a lot. It would be cool if someday they could publish some of this stuff so we know how it works because I think it would be great for research.

2. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Care to give us some more insight, RocketsLegend? The cat is out of the bag, comrade!

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

when you do not care about facts and believe in "alt facts" you are pretty easy to influence.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

60 Minutes did an investigation into this. Listened to the podcast - quite interesting.

Yung-T likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

He was actually posting basketball takes yesterday, in the game thread! Very sophisticated algorithms now, comrade! ... Or, maybe it's some weird version of Stockholm syndrome, and as he's trapped at CF bbs, he starts to actually sympathize with our passions for the Rockets.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Y'all should've rolled Bernie out there. BigTexx could've beat Hillary.

Yung-T, iconoclastic and wouldabeen23 like this.
  7. pirc1

He is no bot, just a Trump lover for some reason.

8. B-Bob

I do think he's a Ruskie though. The early posts reeked of ESL trouble and he was always right on top of the fake news, one of the earliest to post the worst troll-generated crap about Clinton and for Trump.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. pirc1

If he is Russian that would mean the Russians think pretty highly of the clutchfans bbs to put an agent here, maybe he is a Russian basketball fan of the Rockets?

10. B-Bob

This BBS has a lot of traffic, and according to testimony, they hired 15,000 internet trolls to help spread fake news.
    That's a whole lotta trolls and they wouldn't send them all to reddit.

11. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Y
    you ain't lyin'

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Or they coordinated with Trump Campaign & some of his more technologically sophisticated backers like the Mercers, Thiel, etc

13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

[​IMG]

#13 Chilly_Pete, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Nook likes this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think you are on to something. Trump's campaign was well known to be technologically crafty with their use of twitter and "tweeting". Further, his organization was often referred to as a well oiled machine.

Perhaps Trump's highly sophisticated organization was coordinating with Tom Brady, Alex Jones, Don King, Mike Tyson, and RocketsLegend. Has anyone investigated this? I think the Trump ties to Tom Brady, Robert Kraft, and the "Patriots" need to be closely monitored. They are known cheaters.

sugrlndkid likes this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm more concerned about the hacks and the potential collaboration with the campaign. The trolling might have been effective, but we have an open system where pretty much anyone can do that. I don't see how Russia can be prevented and still guarantee a free press, freedom to associate, and free speech. We need our citizenry to be savvier about what they consume.

Nook and Space Ghost like this.
  17. Cohete Rojo

I'm legitimately curious to know how much fake pro-Trump news was created by these same Russian-hires.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is just all very embarrassing for you isn't it?

Remember the days of the fall when you assured us that there was nothing to all of this? Why? Because...Sean Hannity and Julian Assange TOLD you so, in a youtube clip, you got from your uncle

Trumps campaign, and Trump himself are all a bunch of techno dunderheads outside of sending 144 characters, but Peter Thiel, and more importantly Cambridge Analytica, the GOP-favored data/microtargeting firm that they spent tens of millions on to support his/their campaign last cycle, probably aren't,
    I understand you have a need to play all of it off to save face, but, like, enough already man.

Like, I'm upset that Russia is interfering in US elections - cause, that's, you know objectively ****ing bad. Like way worse, man, than robbie380 from the Clutch BBS' online reputation taking a hit.

Nook likes this.
  19. Cohete Rojo

I'm more concern with who is Paul Manafoet. He more so than Flynn stands out among the crowd. Flynn had some issues, no doubt, but Manafort is too interesting an individual to glance over.

Nook likes this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol I don't even really care Sam and no I still haven't seen proof of any interference by the Russian govt. Maybe they did or maybe they didn't but I'd just like the govt to actually prove it's rather than make bold accusations. The only evidence submitted by the govt showed that it was outdated Ukrainian malware and the attacks had no clear ties to Russia. Let me know when there is something proven. Let me know when the Trump admin starts revolving around Russia's demands too.

As I've said before we have absolute proof of our interference in the elections and govts of other nations. We have proof of Russia doing this as well. However, we just have a bunch of bold claims with no true evidence with this case. Hysteria does not equate to proof. Shouldn't this **** be an open and shut case with all of our supposed cyber tracking abilities? The only thing that came out connecting the potential hackers to Russia was from a private company who had some conflicts of interest.

And the difference between your online persona and who I am is that I don't have a problem being wrong or admitting I'm wrong. I don't think you are like this in real life, but maybe you are. What you see is what you get with me on here. Also, I'm not married to a political party like you are. When is the last time the Democrats did something you disagreed with?

Anyhow, I'm done eating my salad....If at some point there is actual proof linking the Russian govt to the hacks then I'll be more than happy to acknowledge it. I'll be really interested to read about the mechanics of how the attack worked and how they were able to find out who ordered what. Maybe one day the truth will come out....