1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Russ Small fired

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old School, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That had very little to do with looks and a WHOLE LOT to do with money. Roberts had a FAT contract at channel 2 and they have been heavily slashing their budget. One person I know who works there told me a few months ago that he was glad, for the first time in his life, that he wasn't making a lot of money. :)

Channel 2 is pathetic for so many reasons, though. It's hard to pick just one. :)

2. deepellumrocket

I noticed Wragge was doing some sideline reporting for NBC at the Lakers-Spurs game in San Antonio a few weeks back.

3. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

This is the best news I heard all day. I hate Russ Small....

4. Old School

Old School Member

I'm not sure of your reasons but as far as Rockets coverage goes they are the best by far. I see more stuff, especially on sports sunday, on their air than any other station. Rockets coverage is a joke on 11 and 13. That could change when the NBA leaves NBC.

Speaking of coverage...it's gonna be tough for the Rockets to compete for air time next season with the Texans. Especially if they get off to a slow start.

os

5. edc

edc Contributing Member

To the folks working there, KTRH has always been referred to as "Keep The Resume Handy." They are just keeping that grand tradition in-line at the other place. :)

I liked Russ. He has always been the odd-man out, but his departure (especially mid-week) is kind of a shame.

6. Timing

Timing Member

Russ Small and Bob Kemp in the same week! Those voodoo dolls I picked up at the flea market are starting to pay dividends. :)

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The best sports coverage in town is Fox 26, but channel 2 isn't bad - it is MUCH better than 11 and 13 without a doubt. The problem with 2 is that it's news is the epitome of tabloid journalism. Sports is fine if that's all you want to watch but the rest....unwatchable.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I can't stand Russ Small. He does not fit in with the other personalities at 610. 610 is marketing towards the 17-50 year old males. Small would be appropriate for a 70-80 year old market.

The only thing I wish 610 would do, is get rid of that damn Outdoors Show!! :mad: :mad:

I am an insomniac, and I hate it when TRN radio goes off the air, and the stupid ass Stevenson's Outdoor Show comes on the air.

Put it on at like Sunday afternoon or something, when I'm not listening to the radio.

9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

That show is classic. I'm usually never awake at that time, but when I have been, I get a kick out of Cletus and Junior talkin' about jiggs and stuff. All they lack are big breasted babes, Buck Owens and Roy Clark!

I grew up in Huntsville and we have some "missing link" types up there, but nothing like these guys!

10. Old School

Old School Member

For the most part, I enjoy listening to Rich and Charley in the afternoon. Although they do seem to take joy, especially Charley, in bashing the Rockets and the lack of Rockets calls. He is always cracking smart ass jokes about that. It's a shame because he is generally knowledgeable about most sports. Anyone else notice that?

It's easy to kick a team when it's down. I bet they don't bash the Texans for the next few years...or as long as they have the rights to their games.

os

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The only reason I liked Fowler was because he'd always attack Dan Patrick. Man, I loved those exchanges. Other than that, is it just me or does Fowler sound perpetually constipated?

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I like Rich and Charlie.

I hate having broadcasters who try to kiss the local teams asses, so that they are eventually kissing the asses of the listeners.

Nothing I hate more than fake people.

At least Rich and Charlie say what's on their mind, which is the whole point of having a radio show...

Charlie is one of the wittiest radio guys I've heard in a while.

13. junglerules

junglerules Member

Did someone say that bob kemp was fired? Oh my god, what a GREAT end to a rough week!

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Bob Kemp quit, he didn't get fired.

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I dunno...maybe he's gotten better of late? I'd only started listening to him once he got the before/after Rome hours. I don't recall anything he said that struck me as flat out wrong....

But who knows, maybe I was just too drowsy to notice. :D

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

anybody like Vandermeer's show? After six months or so with out "small talk" on the radio, I have come to this conclusion.

Russ Small really sucks bad.

Marc Vandermeer is waaaaaaaaaay more entertaining.

I wish Russ Small reads cc.net, so he can look at this thread.

I like Matt Jackson every now and then. I think he needs a longer show. Two hours just isn't cutting it.

I hate the ESPN Dan Patrick show. Too much ass kissing.

Reviving old threads.

17. Whitemancanjump

Whitemancanjump New Member

I hate to Admit that I lived in Dallas for 5 years, but if you listen to the Ticket in DFW, you can get a good idea of how to run a sports station. They mix in a little non-sports to keep it fresh. Sports for 24/7 gets old after a wile. They have some great personalities that would fit in great here.

18. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yet, Laura Reynolds still unsuccessfully tries to be funny in her traffic reports every day and still hasn't been canned...

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Okay, why are you reviving these old threads? You are right about Dan Patrick, that guy kisses a lot of ass.

20. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I for one am glad that Russ Small no longer has a show in 610. The guy was smug with anyone who disagreed with him about any topic. Not to mention he was a fair-weather fan when it came to local teams not winning. (If he still had his show he would be talking about trading the whole team for Michael Jordan). The morning show was unbearable for a good while with Russ Small in with Lance Z and Granato.

As for Charlie and Rich, I like Charlie, he is blunt and to the point. He doesn't try to be a homer or get in good with the fans by praising teams when they mess up. However he'll completely lambast the Rockets and Rudy T. and yet when Rudy comes on Thursdays for his weekly show, Charlie holds back.

Rich sucks. All he does is set up one-liners for Charlie. I would rather Adam Wexler join in with Charlie for that show.

All in all glad to see Russ Small go.