1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Running and Exercise] Houston Marathon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MystikArkitect, Jan 15, 2017.

1. MystikArkitect

Anyone hit this up today? Watching it on TV, looks like the weather cleared up for them to run. I've never been able to run for a long time but any CF members avid runners or completed Marathon or Half Marathon?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I've completed 4 half-marathons starting at age 56, I still have a goal to complete a marathon.

3. jsingles

jsingles Member

Over 20 years of playing and refereeing soccer has destroyed my knees and shins. I can go for hours on a machine but the ground kills me, sucks feeling like this and not even be in my mid-30s yet.

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Turns out you get free entry after you've run your 30th marathon. So all you got to do is run 780 miles, and it practically pays for itself with all the swag you get.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Didn't run as I'm not in town, but I heard the temperature was way too hot to be running a marathon. Every one of them I've ran (Houston and elsewhere) the starting temp during those things has been about 30F.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I have several work friends who ran today and a few who had to defer cause of ankle issues. I've been a pretty avid runner for a good ten years now, and started training to compete in races for about five. After I tore my meniscus and realized how much I let my weight get away from me, I used racing as a motivator to get healthier. So now I've done a couple 5K Mud Runs, Tough Mudder, a Half, 25K and just completed my first full in December. All of them have been trail races, which I've come to love. Nothing compares to running in the middle of the forest and watching the sunrise, with very few humans, if any, around you.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Marathon runners are skinny non-lifters.

8. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Finished 3rd in the 55 - 59 age group in the half. Do you lift bro?

[​IMG]

9. duwende

duwende Member

I am not a runner by any means. My first ever race was a 5k in October (when I started my pseudo training). Since then I did a 10k in November, 12k in Dec, then did Aramco Half Marathon this past weekend. If I can do it anyone can.