1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rumors]Nintendo to announce new system, 'significantly more powerful than the PS3'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Coach AI, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Game Informer's article:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/14/new-nintendo-console-at-e3.aspx

More at the link

IGN is stating that the system will be 'significantly more powerful than the PS3/360, and will be backwards compatible with Wii games.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1161875p1.html

Even crazier, Computer and Video Games is stating that the system will have a new controller, complete with a 'HD Screen' built into it.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298241/news/wii-2-has-all-new-hd-controller-out-2012-sources/

E3 should be interesting. lol

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I guess their plan all along was to avoid head-to-head competition by differentiating themselves with the Wii so they could eventually circle back and drop this super-system on an even wider market. Crazy.

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Considering the 360 and PS3 are 6+ years old, this new Nintendo system better be more powerful than them, tbh...

1 person likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Well, I would hope any new system would significantly more powerful than machines released in 2005 and 2006.

5. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I understand beating Sony and Microsoft to the punch (And the Wii needs an update more than either of those two systems), but I figured they'd wait until next year before announcing this, because this would totally steal the thunder from the 3DS. I figured they'd spend this e3 focusing on upcoming 3DS games and features and stuff.

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

To be sure, though since we are talking Nintendo for them to focus on tech heavily would be a surprise.

It's more critical, however, when we consider where Microsoft and Sony are in their life cycles. How far away are they from putting a system out? There hasn't been much indication they are rushing to move on yet.

1 person likes this.
  7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Had some fun times on that system when I was a kid, before it died and everyone went and bought a Playstation.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

These modern systems have a long lifespan -- the 360 and PS3 certainly seem to have several more years left in them. With the PS2 still going strong what's the rush?

10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Crazy like a fox.

I haven't owned a Nintendo product since 64, this is interesting.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

This.

The claims about it being better mean jack squat to me.

12. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

HD screens on the controller? Nintendo is just getting r****ded now. No way I'm buying this system unless there is a new Zelda and Fire Emblem but even then...

13. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Starfox 64, those were the days. What more can Nintendo offer though, both other systems are full entertainment centers.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3xuRI-R_ZI8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Price will be crucial. Just as important as the specs. Are they going to be stupid like Sony with the PS3 or price this thing in a sweet spot from day 1? Probably somewhere in-between.

It will take a strong Day 1 game lineup from third-parties plus a very good price for me to even consider it.

16. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uA378g_gD1I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

they have to come out with something substantially better, the Kinnect is already better than the entire Wii system and that was just an add on

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

flame me, but it looks like killzone 2

19. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

As mentioned, the "significantly more powerful than the PS3" part isn't really that much of a stretch. It would be more of a stretch if that wasn't true IMO. Better question would be how it would compare with what Sony and MS have planned for their new consoles...which of course is more or less impossible to answer at this point. Uh...can it play Crysis at 60 FPS?

Guess it is interesting that they'd be announcing it so soon though. Then again, maybe it is about time. Think I heard MS was gearing up for their next console. And I think most assumed Nintendo might be the one to "go first" this time around.

Definitely interested to see if they have something "different" up their sleeves (probably a given).
    Doubt they'll price it like the PS3, unless they go crazy with something. Probably wouldn't be due to processor/storage though like PS3 (i.e., no AMD 6990-esque GPU, holographic storage, etc.). It would be hard to put $600+ worth of components in the device, especially given Nintendo's philosophy.

Might be a bit overpriced given the actual hardware (as with most Nintendo products), but the price itself will probably be fairly reasonable I'm guessing.

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Don't know if I'll be as compelled to get it if it doesn't have a traditional controller. The Wii remote grew old fast.