1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor or not ? Yao involved in Warriors?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Champ06, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Last week it was revealed that Ellison is one of four finalists in the bidding for the Warriors. One foe is Mark Mastrov, the East Bay resident and founder of 24-Hour Fitness, a company that sold for $1.6 billion and gave Mastrov the financial ammunition to battle Ellison for our NBA team. The other two parties have not been identified, but one may be a group of Chinese buyers that has enlisted 7-footer Yao Ming, who appears to have seen his last NBA playing days.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_15204030?nclick_check=1

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Two false statements in this article. A player can't be an owner, and Yao is not retired.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Wow. It's beyond irresponsible and almost incomprehensible for an actual newspaper in a decent city to be that uninformed, from the writer on down to editors. No wonder that industry is in the shape it's in. :(

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

If you recall from the previous thread about this, I figured either this was total bull**** or this would be excellent for the rockets for reasons I explained earlier. My guess is its BS

5. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

The writer must be from Oakland or Castro street.

6. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

B.S and already posted

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Maybe they're talking about the Nigerian Yao Ming?

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

That dude is awesome, he says he has $100,000 for me and he'll split the money 50/50 with me. I sent him my bank info this morning.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Obviously you haven't heard of...

[​IMG]

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Greatest. Movie. Ever.

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

The article could well be all BS, but wasn't Jordan a partial owner and a player of the Wizards in the early 2000's?

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

No he had to relinquish that to play. You cannot own any team and play for that team...

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Without a link this is useless: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_18_100/ai_79341042/

14. adoo

adoo Member

hate to break it to you. on this issue, you/re the un-informed one. :rolleyes:

Magic Johnson, in his 4th or 5th season in the league, thru a 3rd party, paid $ mil to Dr. Buss for a 5% ownership interest in the Lakers.

Yao could very well follow this precedence set by Magic Johnson.

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Put [unconfirmed] in the title and this'll be 5 pages by midnight.

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Would you trade Yao for Andris Biedrins, Corey Maggette, Anthony Randolph and the 6th pick?

17. Trip

Trip Member

Not sure if you were kidding on this, but there's no way an NBA player can own a team today. Think of the conflict of interest that can arise.

If Yao were to own part of the Warriors when he's still under contract with the Rockets, what happens when Houston plays Golden State? If he owned part of any team he were playing for, wouldn't he be able to exert influence on the coach to play him as many minutes as he'd like?

BTW, looked up Magic Johnson. There's nothing on him that supports your claim. He did get Lakers part ownership, but this happened only in 1994, after he retired.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The an jose mercury news only has a 2 page sports section, I wouldn't expect them to know much about sports

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

One group has magic the other has west. Yao doesn't have the coin to be a big part i ownership, magic does, west don't either.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I always find it funny when people start a post with "hate to break it to you" and then they post total crap (this seems to be the case in a majority of the cases where someone starts a post like that). This one is no different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.