1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor-Nuggets willing to trade Lawson for top ten pick...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Nuggets looking to move up in draft?

June, 14, 2010 Jun 144:41PM ET

Email Print Comments

By Chad Ford

Archive We just unloaded 2000 plus words of the latest draft talk on our NBA Draft Blog today. We covered the DeMarcus Cousins-Derrick Favors workout in Sacramento and gave the latest updates on what the Wizards, Sixers, Nets, Timberwolves and Kings were all up to. As we get closer to the draft the info just keeps rolling in. Here's a few bonus nuggets, that came in after the blog published.

A number of NBA sources are telling me that the Denver Nuggets are in the hunt for a Top 10 pick. Nuggets GM Mark Warkentein has been calling around trying to gauge interest in teams selling the pick. According to sources Warkentein is offering Ty Lawson for the pick. A Nuggets source said the Nuggets are looking for big man to fill up their front line. Several bigs including Cole Aldrich, Ed Davis, Ekpe Udoh, Patrick Patterson, Daniel Orton and Hassan Whiteside could be there at 10.

Butler's Gordon Hayward is getting serious looks from the Clippers, Jazz, Pacers and Bucks. But could he go even higher than No. 8? The Sacramento Kings (drafting at No. 5) have been pushing to get Hayward in and will have Hayward and Nevada's Luke Babbitt in for a workout on June 23rd, the day before the draft. Could the Kings take Hayward ahed of the two guys we have highest on their board -- DeMarcus Cousins and Greg Monore? Probably not. But the Kings have been talking to several teams about moving down in the draft. The Kings are looking for veterans and have been shopping Andres Nocioni and Francisco Garcia to see if they can get any takers. If they do move down a few notches, both players could be intriguing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/16721/nuggets-looking-to-move-up-in-draft

2. itony

itony Member

really? i thought he was pretty good and a solid rotation player.i would be hesitant to trade him for potential...but then again i guess thats why some talk about trading someone like cbud

3. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

I wouldnt trade a top ten pick for lawson. He showed potential but not that much.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Wasn't he a #20 pick?

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lawson will be better than at least 1 of the players drafted in the top 10. But umm... he isn't good enough to net a lotto pick. I don't think they could even get our pick for Lawson.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I want Nuggets4 to comment.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're probably right,but if we needed a backup PG like in the Rafer days,I'm quite sure that DM would have considered giving up the 14th pick for Lawson.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm astonished that Hayward is being considered as top 10 player. He shouldn't be in the lottery. He is a good college player,who isn't likely to be a solid pro.

9. Egghead

Egghead Member

Hayward reminds me a lot of Mike Dunlevy Jr.

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I would never take on the contract of those guys.

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I would totally take on Nocioni's contract if it involves us receiving the 5th pick and hence Demarcus Cousins. ;)

Given that the top 4 picks are pretty much locks to be: 1. Wall 2. Turner 3. Favors 4. Johnson...(the order can still very between Turner & Favors)

I would totally do something like:

Rockets receive:
    2010 5th pick (Demarcus Cousins)
    Andres Nocioni (Bad Contract)

Kings receive:
    2010 14th pick
    2012 NY pick
    Shane Battier
    Rights to Sergio Llull

--RB

12. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

With that deal, we just overpayed. We like Battier a lot and will likely keep him unless he nets us a better player (Bosh?) and granted, we would be giving up 2 draft picks and a talented asset who we haven't seen in the league yet.

Morey likes to build assets. We'd be giving too many assets for something that isn't so guaranteed; who knows how good and motivated Cousins is.

13. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Ask and you shall receive.

If it happens, someone's going to have to talk me off of the ledge. I'm RIDICULOUSLY high on Lawson. Honestly, talking with a friend of mine about this yesterday I said Lawson was the closest thing to an untouchable this team should have. Is he the best player? No. But he's young, has tremendous potential, plays a VERY valuable position (I'm a firm believer in you build around PG's first) and is cheap. Add that to the fact that his minutes were jacked up last season due to strange substitution patterns and injuries and I doubt his value is high right now. Honestly, outside of Wall and Turner (and possibly Cousins, but after years of headcases I'm a little scared to bring in another), I don't know if I'd trade Lawson straight up for anyone else in the draft.

If I'm the Nugs, I'm seeing what they can get for KMart's expiring deal (although he WILL be a loss for the team if he's dealt. I've gone on record about how underrated I think he is), I'm discussing Nene, I'm even listening to offers on Melo & Chauncey. The only two players I'm not actively shopping are Lawson & Afflalo -- both because they're young & cheap. I'd be willing to throw them in deals, but it'd take a heck of an offer.

My gut instinct is that this is a bit overblown. I do know the Nugs are trying to go big this off-season because they supposedly want to move Nene to PF (note: I did not get this from the source that I have mentioned in the past, so I can't verify 100% accuracy on it) and bring KMart off of the bench. I know JR is on the block. I'm thinking that they were talking to a team in the top ten about their pick, the team said "what about Lawson?" and the Nugs said "probably not". This got out to Ford and suddenly it became "Nugs shopping Lawson!"

tl;dr version -- I question it's authenticity, but I can't deny it either.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Lawson for a top ten pick in a draft of bigs? You'd have to be in dire financial straits not to laugh them off the line.

I like Ty Lawson a bunch, but he's a good ways off from being a star at the position.

If the Hornets were offering up Collison - that would be worth listening to.