1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rule change proposition

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Prempeh, Feb 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I like Dick Vitale, but one thing that I absolutely cannot understand is how every freaking game he is calling, he has to make this plea of "JUMP IT UUUUPPPP!!!! JUMP IT UP BABY!!!!!" anytime there is a tie-up with the ball.

IMO, the jump ball is a complete farce. I would rather see the NBA adopt the college rule of alternating possessions with the arrow. I think you should reward smaller players for getting in there and mixing it up, and the bottom line for me, is that it's just the fairest way to do things. As the tip in the Spurs game showed, you just can't control it...and they never call guys for snagging the ball on the way up, either.

Any way the NBA could go the college route?

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I hate Vitale and I also hate the college possession rule. You play good D on two possessions and get the ball once.

We live in a high-tech world where 300+ lb men can hang from a basketball rim. Just invent a device to drop it from a designated height from mid-court with the defensive team getting first choice of floor position.

3. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

ICAM, One less thing for the refs to screw up.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

are you kidding me? I can't count the number of times I've seen a defender get in a tie up with the offensive player, only to have the ball go back to the offense with the possession arrow...worst rule ever...A jump ball at least gives the defense a chance to get the ball back...

5. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

Put the ball in the middle of the court and the teams on opposing sides, whoever gets there first wins possesion. :)

I did not like the college rule when the offense got the ball back and they got a new shot clock. Now that they do not reset the shot clock I do not mind it.

I can't remember, but I think the pros reset the shot clock. It seems like there was a game a while back that the shot clock had almost expired and a tie up occured. The offensive team got the ball back and a new shot clock. The defensive team had to start fouling.

I do not think they should reset the clock. In fact, I would go for a 5 second shot clock deduction.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the shot-clock is reset to 14 seconds in jump-ball situations. Is that right?

7. JuanValdez

Btw, in college ball, is it just alternating possessions or quarters or what?

8. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

IIRC, the team that loses the opening tip is given the first possession in terms of the possession arrow. After that, it alternates.

9. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

somehow i see the jump ball as the quintessential basketball moment

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The best way is the playground rule. The offensive player shoot a free throw from the 3pt line. You make it, it's your ball.

11. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i like the idea, but there'd be a helluva lot of jammed fingers. ;)

12. tozai

tozai Member

If they were going to have machines replace refs for the jump ball then what about robots to replace the refs. And the players. Actually it'd be cool if that was actually possible to replace the refs and then have them set levels where they could let them play physical or whatever and be consistent throughout the game without make-up calls and BS. But that's just me rambling.

Yeah JV, it's 14 second reset.

I don't like the college rule, but can't refs just learn how to throw a jump ball. It's not that hard and it's the only physical skill they'd need other than walking, blowing, and being dicks.

13. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Give the ball to the defense every time.

14. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

You pay good money to refs, let them jump the ball in both h/s and college. Possession arrows are for weasels.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and fine the sh*t out of them for the flimsey bullsh*t errant tosses

how hard is it to toss a fricking ball!

The human element of the game MUST be preserved

Rocket River

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Easy is right.

Do or Die. Defender's choice.
    (one shot by offense or HORSE like contest with one letter)

17. JuanValdez

So, if Francis ties up Shaq, it's Rocket's ball?

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think (not sure) an average NBA player probably has a 60% chance of hitting an uncontested trey. Some are better than others.

Any method involving some physical action (jump ball, shooting, etc.) would benefit some players more than others. I think shooting is a fair way of deciding who has the ball. Not all big men are bad shooters. But all small men are in a disadvantage of jumping.

Other than that, the only fair way is either a coin toss or let them do a paper-scissors-rock to determine who should have the ball.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The solution is very simple.

Do not allow the "tie up" call anymore. Possession must eventually be demonstrated by single-player possession (dominance), no matter how long it takes. ;)

20. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

I liked the idea of a 5 second run off of shot clock and the offence takes the ball out. If shot clock under 5 then defence ball