1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rugged January awaits Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tim562, Jan 2, 2005.

1. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

[Hou Chron] Rugged January awaits Rockets

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2974200

Rugged January awaits Rockets

Visit from Jazz begins a month with few breathers
    By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

COMING UP
    Wednesday:
    vs. Phoenix, 8:00 p.m.
    TV/Radio:
    Listings; KILT (610 AM)

The Rockets were more than ready to usher out 2004. The only problem is that now they must deal with 2005.

The team will start its most difficult month to date with a game against Utah tonight at Toyota Center. The Jazz (11-19) are struggling, but few of the Rockets' other January opponents are.

Twelve of their 15 opponents this month made the playoffs last year. Four lead their divisions, including the Phoenix Suns (25-4), who will be in town Wednesday. The Rockets end the week on the road against the Lakers (15-12).

"That's what we have to deal with," forward Scott Padgett said. "At this point, we've kind of dug ourselves in a hole and you've got to find a way to get out. You don't want to look up and the next thing you know you're not in the playoff hunt.

"So the teams that we are playing this month are teams you're going to have to beat anyway if you want to be in the playoffs, and if you want to go anywhere in the playoffs. So why not beat them now?"

The Rockets just finished their easiest month of the season, one in which they had only four road games and eight of their 11 opponents had losing records. The Rockets struggled much of the month, finishing 9-5.

The players are convinced that was a learning period. Their victory over Milwaukee on Friday secured a .500 record (15-15) heading into the new year and the team only wants to look ahead.

For the first time in weeks, players talked enthusiastically about moving up in the standings and even a possible playoff berth.

"Surely we want to be compared to the elite teams in this league," Tracy McGrady said. "That's what we're striving to be, and to be that we have to beat those elite teams that have already established themselves. It's a challenge for us."

The Rockets have strung together two strong performances with victories over Cleveland and Milwaukee. But the players have yet to sustain such performances for more than a few days at a time.

Newcomers bring energy
    Many of the Rockets have praised the acquisitions of Jon Barry and David Wesley. Barry arrived from Atlanta for Tyronn Lue. Wesley was acquired from New Orleans for Jim Jackson and Bostjan Nachbar.

"The guys that we acquired in the past few days have really helped us out with us being more energetic and our intensity being up," McGrady said. "Those guys know how to play the game. They are veteran players and they are just bringing a certain energy out there.

"You hate to see Jimmy and Ty leave, but those guys are doing a great job of making us a more up-tempo team."

The Rockets held their first practices with both newcomers Saturday, but Wesley and Barry will mostly have to learn the system and their teammates during games. The Rockets will have few opportunities to practice in the coming month, especially with nine road games and four sets of back-to-backs.

Tough trip coming
    The first trip begins Friday in Los Angeles and continues to Denver and Dallas. Toward the end of the month, on Jan. 20, McGrady will return to Orlando when the Rockets play against former Rocket Steve Francis and the Magic.

Four days later, Orlando will visit Houston.

"I'm definitely waiting for that game," McGrady said. "I think it will be a big game. I'm just excited to go home as well. I can't wait."

The team also can't wait to finally talk about the goals set earlier. So much focus was placed the past month on reaching .500 that the team wants to see where it can go.

"It's a good test for us to see where we stand and where we're going to stand at the end of the year, because a lot of the teams we're playing are going to be in the playoffs or fighting for playoff spots this year," Maurice Taylor said.

megan.manfull@chron.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rockets summary

'Scottie the Body'
    When Scott Padgett ran the baseline and threw down a one-handed dunk against Milwaukee on Friday night, his teammates couldn't contain their smiles — or their jokes.

Padgett even joined in on the postgame banter by saying the Bucks moved out of his way so as to avoid the embarrassment of having him dunk over them.

"It was not surprising to me," Maurice Taylor said of Padgett's dunk. "I see it every day. Around here, we talk about Padgett — you know, 'Scottie the Body' — we talk about him in the same breath as LeBron James, Jason Richardson, all the high jumpers in the NBA. Then there's probably Scott.

"Scottie the Body, he's an amazing athlete. The things that he can do, when he's up in the air. It's like he just makes it up as he goes along."

Helping right away
    Only two games into his tenure, David Wesley has had a large impact on the team. Coach Jeff Van Gundy said Wesley's defense on Michael Redd was the difference between the Rockets' blowout loss to Milwaukee on Tuesday and Friday's victory over the Bucks.

Tracy McGrady credited the team's improved energy to the acquisitions of Wesley and Jon Barry.

"I'm 2-0, baby!" Wesley said. "I'm slowly getting there. The defensive end is a lot easier, the schemes and everything like that."

"The offense is more just knowing where you're supposed to be, and I'm slowly getting that. Sometimes I'm running around out there and figuring it out as I go along."

#1 tim562, Jan 2, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am cautiously optimistic, maybe we can win a few, since we have lost at least 4 that we should have won.

DD

3. superden

superden Contributing Member

aw dangit! i missed scottie the body's dunk?! haha i need to see more of that in the game dude.

4. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

There does seem to be cause for optimism. The Rockets' recent wins against the crappy teams have typically been with pretty big margins. That is a sign of a good team, to blow away the inferior competition. Instead of barely squeaking by them. The only big mess recently has been the two unthinkable loses to the Bobcats and the blowout to the Bucks.

I think a 9-6 record or better in January would be a positive sign that the team's truly coming together.

6. Man

Man Contributing Member

lol yeah hahah

Yeah Scott padgett's dunk was tite I wasn't expecting that. He threw it down! I expected him to pass it off. It was nice lol.

And I'm glad Wesley is a Rocket he sounds happy lol

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

1 down, 14 to go.

8. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

"You hate to see Jimmy and Ty leave, but those guys are doing a great job of making us a more up-tempo team." -TMAC

I guess he wasn't sad to see Boki go :D

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Are you kidding? TMac probably thought he was a towel boy.

10. tim562

Check this out -
    Out of our next 15 games in January - 10 of those games our on ESPN, TNT, or NBATV. We gonna get some National coverage. Its looks like we are starting to get it somewhat together at the right time. :D :D :D

http://www.nba.com/rockets/schedule/

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

We had about 30 games this year on National TV. I noticed that at the begining of the season and were glad to get some more exposure.
    Of course i was wishing that the exposure included us winning so we didn't look like a bad team.

12. tim562

Yeah, I remember reading that also...I just realized that through the first of the season, we didn't have a lot of Nationally televised games. I guess, its our time to shine...or not!!!

13. Man

Man Contributing Member

yeah there haven't been very many. Now there's 10 out of 15! I hope we do well. Like on nba.com, most people votedi n the poll that Shaq and Dwayne are the greatest duo, then Amare and Marion. I hope people get to see Yao and Tmac and the Rockets playing well and WINNING BIG