1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rugby?!?!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BigBenito, Jun 6, 2010.

1. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Did anyone catch any games on Sunday? I confess it is hardly a sport I've given a lick of attention to, but I was fascinated every moment of the games. The announces did a decent job of explaining the rules, so I wasn't 100% clueless. At least, they made me think like I knew wtf was going on, so kudos to them either way.

The Troy Polamalu look alike from Utah went beast mode vs. California. (It must be the hair, mental note... stop shaving your head, Ben)

At first glance, Rugby is superior to Football in every possible way. Any non-snark reason, beyond possibly not being as strategic, that Rugby isn't the better sport?

obligatory

cool story, bro

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

1) I still enjoy the forward pass

2) I don't watch rugby much either, but those games were really short. 7 minute halves with a running clock. But that was 7 on 7. How long is a normal rugby match?

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What is your opinion of people who wear rugby shirts, but do not play rugby?

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

1) Yeah, forward pass is a nice touch, but every play is like a desperate last second touch down at the end of a football game.

2) I think normally there are 2 40 minute halves?

3) I confess, I hadn't thought of that one before. Quick judgement: about the same as I think of people in basketball/soccer/football jerseys without playing the sport... no opinion

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Australian, mate??? :confused:

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

If I was Australian, wouldn't I know the rules to rugby? :confused:

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:rolleyes: Oh, yeah! Sht, I'm sorry.

I know that everyone who is from the United States knows "American Football" rules. :p

8. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

(Do you really want to quibble about the 1% of those male populations that don't know the rules of said sports?)

9. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

10. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

There is an embed button below the video. then copy/paste the code that pops up below.

(posting it for you, pretty awesome video)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z9NQ5sLDn34&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z9NQ5sLDn34&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

11. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I caught a bit of it. Quick question, why do they slide into the end zone? I thought it was celebration at first, but then I thought every player can't be an a-hole.

12. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

They slide because to score a Try or goal you have to forcefully push it down without it bouncing away..if that made any sense..

1 person likes this.
  13. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Isn't the AFL Australian Rugby?

I caught some of the 7s stuff on Saturday on TV, looked interesting, but actual rugby definitely looks more intense.

14. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

If you want to see real Rugby watch some All Blacks games..and their Hakka.

15. surrender

surrender Member

I play pickup games at school, and I've also started watching pro matches lately. Sevens, which y'all saw today, is a completely different beast from the full game. Unfortunately, the European season just ended (both national and club), and matches are regularly available on BBC America. The Southern Hemisphere matches (NZ, Aus, SA) are still on, and online streams can be found with some digging.

It's a really great spectator sport and the rules are fairly simple, so I highly recommend it if you can find a way to watch.

16. surrender

surrender Member

Nah, AFL is all about kicking through the uprights, and it's very freeform - you can pass the ball to anyone at any place on the field, with no offsides. Australia has its own rugby team, and their club teams play in a tournament against NZ and SA teams.

17. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

Nah Australian Football League is completely different to rugby:

You can kick forwards or backwards, the game doesn't stop when there is a tackle. The scoring is different and there is a forwardline, backline and midfield.

Another example to help see the gameplay for those interested:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EMswYa2ivMc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EMswYa2ivMc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

BTW: thanks to BigBenito for the help.

18. Apps

Apps Member

The same way I'd feel about someone who wears a football jersey but doesn't play football, I guess...? :confused:

I have always been intrigued by Rugby, especially after seeing the Australian league (not Australian rules) about a year ago. Nice to see it on T.V. in America. I doubt it will stick around, unfortunately.

The city in which I live in has a Rugby team, I have been thinking about looking into it.

19. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I can answer most of your Rugby questions since I played a little in HS.

They literally have to touch the ball down. its called a down instead of a touchdown like in football. If you don't touch the ball down and lose it or run out of bounds, you will not score.

20. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Rugby is a pretty popular sport in many top business schools around the world. After playing it for the first time 3 years ago, I think rugby is definitely more fun to play than American football and arguably more interesting to watch.

The main difference with rugby is that it is much more of a team effort and you don't have individuals who are big and heavy like linemen, or tall, skinny and fast receivers, or the big shot quarterback. Yes in rugby there are forwards (bigger guys) and backs (faster guys) but the variance is much smaller than in American football. Also in rugby, everyone plays offense and defense.

In rugby, if you get tackled as the ball carrier, and you have no teammates around to ruck over the ball (form the wall), the other team is allowed to just pick it up and you screwed up for breaking away from your teammates. In American football, you are rewarded for sprinting down the field with or without your teammates for 50 yards before getting tackled. In rugby, you need to keep up with the ball carrier and the ball carrier needs to stay with his teammates.

The game is always flowing like soccer too. There are no breaks or stoppages after every play or turnover (unless there is a penalty). Therefore, you have to be a well-conditioned athlete. I have seen some big ass mofos play rugby and they suck balls because they can't keep up. It doesn't matter how big and strong you are. If you can't keep up with your team, you are useless.

There is also minimal protection in rugby so people are generally more controlled with their tackles. In the NFL, people can go crazy with their monster hits because they are wearing helmets and pads to protect them from getting hurt. In rugby, laying a guy out on his back is not the main goal. Getting the ball is the main goal. If you spend all your momentum and energy to tackle someone and are slow to get back up (remember, the game keeps moving even if someone gets tackled), then you are screwing your team over by being out of the play. Plus, you just feel like a real man when you are tackling people and fighting for the ball without helmets and pads. Yes, you get lots of cuts and bruises from playing rugby but I would say serious injuries are more common in American football because as I said, people are more controlled with their tackles in rugby.

I never really understood rugby until I played it in b-school, but once I did, I was hooked and I think everyone should try it. SMU's business school had a sizable rugby team so if you are at SMU, you might want to look them up if you want to play.