1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy's paradox

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doctor Robert, Dec 19, 1999.

1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I present two pieces of evidence for Rudy's paradox.

1) He shows incredible foresight and patience when it comes to his starting roster.

The reason that he sticks with his starting rotation through thick and thin is that he has a plan for the way he wants the Rockets to play and he is going to give the players that he believes can accomplish that goal every chance in the world to do it. He believed Walt Williams was going to fit into his scheme so he played him every night hoping and hoping that what he saw in him would re-emerge and improve the Rockets chemistry. After Walt played badly on both ends of the floor for many nights Rudy finally decided that maybe Walt was NEVER going to fit into his scheme. He may have abandoned him permanently because of potential inconsistency, not just temporarily for a shooting slump. I would believe that based on the fact that Walt didn't play any minutes at all afterwards.
    As for the changes in the starting lineup lately, I think Rudy is finally experimenting, but I think he will lock himself into something soon.

2) He shows absolutely no foresight and patience when it comes to his play calling.

Rudy just tallies up the percentages for which plays are working RIGHT NOW. He doesn't show that he believes they should be playing a certain way and he is trying to get them to do it. Right now those percentages point to Francis and Mobley isolations so that is what he is going to run. The problem is - how are the percentages going to indicate a team oriented and unselfish style of play calling when they are obviously going to get better at what they practice?