1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy T not elected in HOF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Mar 28, 2018.

1. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

The number of all-star appearances does have a strong correlation with HOF chance.

9 and more: 45 players ever did that, all HOF
    8: 13 players did that, excluding active players and retired players who haven't qualified the year requirement, one 1 is not HOF(Larry Foust who played in the 50s).
    7: 19, only Grant Hill and Jack Sikma are not HOF
    6: 21, Walter Davis, Larry Costello, Lou Hudson, and Shawn Kemp are not HOF
    5: 29, 10 players including Rudy T. are not HOF

So roughly speaking, being a 5-time all-star itself should mean a 60%(19 out of 29) chance to be named a HOF. So Rudy T. is already a marginal HOF by only counting his NBA accomplishment. But in addition to that, he was also very accomplished as a college player(jersey retired, hold a few school records), as an NBA coach(back to back championship winner, only 8 coaches ever did that), as the USA basketball team's coach.

I don't know whether they count the accomplishment as a player and as a coach together or separately. If it is the latter case, it's kind of understandable that Rudy T is still not a HOF yet.

CDrex likes this.
  2. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

He brought one of the biggest quotes ever to the sports world. Respect this man.

Tfor3 and napalm06 like this.
  3. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I am surprised Ray Allen didn't get elected. He is a 10 time all-star, two-time nba champion, and leads all time in 3 pointers made. To me, he is more deserving than Hill and Cheeks.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

With some of the people they are enshrining in the hall nowadays, it's just a complete joke that Rudy T isn't in there yet.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The basketball hall of fame really makes me appreciate the baseball HOF. God knows it has it's own issues, but compared to the basketball sideshow it looks brilliant.

Jon Chaney and Lou Carneseca get in, Guy Lewis has to wait forever.

Mo Cheeks gets in, but not Rudy T who was a better player and coach.

Grant Hill and his 6 good seasons gets in before Chris Webber

This is inexcusable favoritism bulls**t.

CCity Zero and Patience like this.
  6. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

WAIT THE F UP!!! T-mac and Grant Hill got in? And Rudy T wasn't. Espn vote for this BS again?
    Seriously...T-mac and Grant Hilll, you know how sorry those 2 are? They havent done jack in their NBA career LMAO

7. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

One person I really want in the Hall of Fame is Ben Wallace. He was dominate for a while and the best Undrafted NBA player ever.

8. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Grant Hill got in...!!!!
    What the actual ****....????:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Those dudes really broke the knee.

10. Buck Turgidson

Hmmm...Philly, NY, Philly and Duke. Nope, no east coast bias there.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

T-Mac was a 7 time all-star, 2 time all-NBA first team, 2 time scoring champ, 3 time second team and 2 time third team. In pretty much every metric besides rebounding, he is superior to Rudy T. There is no legitimate argument to be made that Rudy T should make it as a player and T-Mac should not. As I said initially, I expect Rudy T will get in eventually, and I think he should given the standards of the hall, but only because of the entirety of his basketball life, not on his playing career only.

saleem likes this.
  12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I did a paper on Phil Jackson as an undergrad at Rice... he hated Rudy Ball (force ball to the post then deal it out a 3 pt shooter) and blames it on uglying up basketball. It took a while for Don Nelson to get elected, and some attribute it to him changing how basketball was played. Perhaps, it is a similar situation.

13. texian

texian Member

14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I can’t believe Dino f***ing Radja made it in this year, but not Rudy T.

napalm06 likes this.
  15. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

It's surprising. I would have thought his basketball resume was as deserving of anyone. His quote is famous, back-to-back championships with a team no one predicted wouldn't even make it past the second round in either year (think about how crazy that is), a coach who revolutionized the game with his ideas on spacing, a scout, and a 6-time all-star plus a renowned college career.

It really is head-scratching

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

NBA crooks. Most, if not all of Rudy T's players are good citizens. Even Mad Max has come around. I hope Rudy T gives the NBA kick rocks when he does get it.

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's the problem I have (and most everyone does), coaching career alone (b2b) wins and winning gold w/ worst of the first 3 Dream Teams etc, before we witnessed the 2004 Bronze mess for Team USA should be enough. Then add in the only team in NBA history to win as a 6th seed (95), also winning with only one true star in 94 vs Duos or more that are normally required to win. If he did this coaching a Laker/NYK team he'd already be in.

Now if we go all-around route/life accomplishments then still he's in still... But then looking at player career only (and only nba, not college where he had some good accolades) that Kermit punch really destroyed the life of his NBA player career, I know w/o it, his career would have been a lot more decorated. That punch was bs, I mean imagine that in today's game.

18. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

And unlike kerr, he was even an outstanding player in his time. The team’s (according to the media narrative at the time) improbable win over Orlando in 95 was also a repeat for the ages.

19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Rudy Tomjanovich isn’t in the Hall of Fame, and Scott Brooks has something to say about that

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ing-to-say-about-that/?utm_term=.9967cc8a5c42

Buck Turgidson, Tfor3 and tinman like this.
  20. OTMax

OTMax Member

Hall of Fame itself is a travesty, how many people are “in” now? Hundreds, thousands? It should be reserved for true game changers and to me there’s only about 50-100 people in basketball history who should be in there.

Ray Allen, Grant Hill, Webber or even Kidd should never be in. It’s the elite of the elite, coaches and players who changed the game and or were just outstanding players. From my POV, from players and coaches I’ve seen since the 90 - who are retired - these few would be in:

Michael Jordan, Pippen, Kobe, Shaq, Dream, Duncan, David Robinson, Drexler, Magic Johnson, Garnett, Stockton, Malone, Nash, Iverson + Phil Jackson, Rudy T, Pat Riley, Don Nelson. There's probably more and arguments can be made for elite role players players who were elite in a certain area or several as well as guys who had great stints or the longevity of being a great player. I have a hard time putting them in, because then it's basically the Hall of Great.

Yao should be in, but maybe more of like an ambassador and his contribution to expanding the game. Much like Mutombo who should be in for that reason, doing great things for the NBA globally, in Africa and is a spokesperson.