1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy T - Hall of Famer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by A-Train, Jun 24, 2000.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, my friend and I were debating this the other day...

Is Rudy T a Hall of Famer??

Since Rudy is obviously not the kind of guy that will coach until he's 65 or 70, it's a good time to take a look back at his career...

His playing career may not be HOF worthy, but is certainly solid...

Points - 13,383
    Rebounds - 6,198 (8.1/game)
    All Star appearances - Five
    20 ppg seasons - Four

As for his coaching career (has he really been a coach for eight full seasons?? Damn, I feel old...), he currently has a 387-267 record (.592) and a 51-39 career playoff coaching record (.567). So, depending on how quickly the Rockets develop with Francis, his career coaching percentage could get up to .600 or as low as the mid .500's... He also led the Rockets to the title in only his second full season as head coach (I think that was a record until Phil Jackson joined the Lakers this season). When the USA hoops team waxes everyone in this year's Olympics, he can add an Olympic gold medal to his resume. What's REALLY impressive, though, is that he's spent 30 years with one team, which is almost never heard of with anybody these days, players and coaches included

I know the opinions may be a little biased here, but I think if you add up his playinig and coachig days, he'll be a first ballot hall of famer when he finally decides to hang his tie on the tie rack for the last time...

Plus, he gets bonus points for having a FINE daughter...

A-Train

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

And, if I'm not mistaken, Rudy is still the all-time leader in rebounds at the University of Michigan

------------------

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

when they judge hall of fame do they do coaching and playing separate or can they put you in based on contributions playing wise and coaching?

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

4. pakirocketfan

pakirocketfan Member

Rudy should definitely be in the hall of fame. He has done many things for Rockets, and he has also had an innovation for the NBA, LOYALTY. Not only did he stay with the same team for almost half a century, he also refused to trade a player that has personified the city of Houston for almost 2 decades. Rudy truly deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame.

------------------

[This message has been edited by pakirocketfan (edited June 24, 2000).]