1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy on the Mens Room

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CriscoKidd, Dec 10, 1999.

1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

The Mens Room is a radio talk show based out of Chicago, i dont know if you guys get it in Houston, but i get it way down here next to Mexico, go figure!

Anyways, for any who are interested, here are some of the highlights of the short interview, paraphrased of course:

Q: Devastating loss(Barkley), what are you going to do now?

A: Well, we still have a team with a lot of talent, and as I've already told the team, my appraoch will still be the same - I'm coaching to win. I appreciate Barkley for helping to make the loss not so difficult on his teamates, but now its time for the young guys to step up.

Q: Was Barkley a selfish player? Did he change his ways in the years he was with you?

A: Barkley was one of the most unselfish players that I've ever coached. I remember one particular game after we brought him here where he had seven assissts before he had a single shot attempt. Barkley was always looking to pass the ball when he was doubled, he knew no other way to play.

Q: Do you think Pippen was right in his assessment of Barkley?

A: Uh, Ah(waffling [​IMG] ) ... I dont really know all of what Pippen said, but I do know that he was looking for a trade to L.A. when he said those statements.

Q: Will Barkley's reputation be tarnished by the fact that he never won a ring?

A: I dont think so, there are gonna be a lot of great players to go out without a ring. Players like Stockton and Malone, probaby the best at their postions, and Patrick Ewing. Those are all great players, but nowadays people have to realize that there are 29 teams and only one championship team, and its difficult.

Q: When you are in your hotel room alone at night(hes in Boston), dont you get to feeling depressed?

A: I'm excited as hell right now(i think i heard him say hell). We were going to have to play without Barkley next year anyways, and it would have taken a few months to get adjusted to that. This just speeds up the process. In Rockets history this will be viewed as the passing of the baton from our older players to our younger ones. This is a young team now, and i think a lot of these players like Francis, Mobley and others will be here for quite a while.

[This message has been edited by CriscoKidd (edited December 10, 1999).]

2. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Excuse me for laughing, but I LOVE the part where RudyT mentions Stockton and Malone in reference to those not getting a championship. Rudy's da man!