1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy leads the choke job again . . .

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JR, Dec 16, 1999.

1. JR

JR Contributing Member

The guy is a moron in so many ways, but his late-game substitution pattern is substandard even for him. Has he ever heard of playing it by ear and going with the guys who are playing well in the particular game down the stretch? case in point: mobley, who I think is a great player, is having a terrible game. Shandon is having an above average game, playing great D and really attacking the basket. So who's out there at the end? Cuttino, because that's what Rudy has decided is the plan. I don't care if you have to put Shandon at the 3, he has got to be out there down the stretch, particularly if he's been involved in the game all night. Damn that pissed me off.

2. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I don't know... why don't we ask Kenny Smith, who sat behind Scottie Brooks and then Sam Cassell in the fourth quarter for years despite being the putative starter?

He would know more about Rudy's tendency to sit starters for scrubs who are out-playing them.

3. JR

JR Contributing Member

I had intentionally removed the Scott Brooks fiasco from my memory until you invoked those hideous days . . . you're completely right of course -- his penchant for benching productive players for his "fourth quarter" guys is not a new phenomenon. Ridiculous nonetheless.

4. JR

JR Contributing Member

whoops -- just re-read your message which i think i totally misinterpreted. Cassell did deserve to play in the 4th as opposed to Scotty Brooks (how many times did he drive the lane, jump a few inches into the air and then throw the ball away?).

My point was only that last night, Shandon was clearly outplaying Cuttino, so he should have been in there. i have no problem with not having a starter in the game late if there are better alternatives that night. And typically, Cuttino does need to be in the game down the stretch.

5. Title99

Title99 Contributing Member

I agree, Rudy has been jerking Shandon around all year. I don't understand what he has against that guy.

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I gave it some thought and the only thing I could come up with is Shandon's hesitancy. I too feel he should be in the game, but I guess Rudy wanted to go with the guys who aren't afraid to take the shot down the stretch.