1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy had no problem with Cuttino's shot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The following article was taken from the Houston Chronicle (online) and Jonathan Feigen.
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/789435

------------------------

Rockets take shot at it
    Improbable rally falls 3-pointer shy against Jazz
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

Maurice Taylor did not wait for the shot to come down. In his mind, he pictured the splash of the net and a triumph for Shandon Anderson over his former team and their strained breakup. But by then, he should have known all such tidy logic had been lost.

The inexplicable had taken over. Karl Malone had gone from Mailman to maelstrom. The old Jazz looked like young Clippers. Steve Francis had wrapped official Jim Clark in a tight hug. So when the Rockets thought three straight shots were in, they weren't, and Utah took a 99-97 decision Saturday night.

"Ohhhh, I thought that was down," Taylor said of Anderson's trey that could have tied the game in the last minute. "I thought, `What better way to beat them?' If we would have hit that shot, we would have had them. And we had three. We had some great shots that would not fall. If we tied it, we would have won."

The Rockets had done the improbable long enough to force those among the 13,821 at Compaq Center still hanging around to hold their breath and themselves to believe the game theirs.

The Rockets came back from a 16-point deficit to get three shots at tying the score in the last minute. Malone had been reduced to a 3-of-16 shooting disaster. Olden Polynice, a 17 percent free-throw shooter, was suddenly on target. Utah was carrying a five-game losing streak and collapsing.

But that's when the Rockets went for the tie. Matt Bullard, who had nailed his only 3-pointer, launched from in front of the Rockets' bench. But he became entangled with Danny Manning and left the shot short.

"He ran into my lower body," Bullard said. "I don't get too many calls. I wasn't expecting to hear a whistle. But it's hard to shoot when there's contact, especially from that far out."

But with Donyell Marshall, having perhaps his best game with the Jazz, open inside, Bullard blocked his shot. He saved the ball to Francis, but when Francis was called out of bounds, he grabbed Clark in a tight embrace.

"I thought I wasn't out of bounds," Francis said. "He couldn't stop laughing; I couldn't stop crying."

But the Rockets still had chances.

John Stockton missed an open jumper, and the Rockets set up Anderson. Open above the top of the key, Anderson put up a shot that just barely caught the front of the rim with 33 seconds left.

"I definitely thought it was in," Anderson said. "But we definitely had chances to tie the game up."

But the Jazz again left the Rockets breathing. As had Bullard, Anderson followed his miss by blocking a Marshall shot. Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich passed on a chance to call a timeout to try to catch the Jazz scrambling, and Cuttino Mobley slipped around a Bullard pick to take one more trey.

"That one with Cuttino, I didn't want to yell for a timeout," Tomjanovich said. "Let's get the defense scattered around the floor. Bull set the pick, and I thought Cuttino got his feet under him. I've seen Cuttino make those. I'll take that there."

But Mobley's shot smacked the front of the rim with 5.5 seconds left. He was forced to immediately foul Jacque Vaughn, who finally reclaimed some normalcy with two free throws that made Francis' trey at the buzzer moot. That ended the Jazz's losing streak and extended the Rockets' home troubles to seven losses in their last eight games at Compaq.

But after so much had gone against form, Mobley's miss did not. Starting because Walt Williams was out with the flu, Mobley never could find his range. He made just four of 16 shots, repeatedly running into the defensive presence of Polynice inside. Polynice had a season-high five blocked shots in 25 minutes before Tomjanovich applied the hack-a-Shaq technique to him to force him to the bench.

But even when Mobley and Francis shot from the perimeter, they struggled to find their range. Francis made his last three shots, all 3-pointers, but until then, he had made just two of nine shots.

"We didn't play great," Francis said. "I had a bad game. I hit some 3s late, but I had a bad game. The team counts on me to score 16, 17, 18 points a game. I'll go shooting tomorrow, and we'll play Utah again up there."

But the Rockets had nearly done enough to catch the Jazz here. Taylor, Kenny Thomas and Carlos Rogers had forced Malone to shoot over them. The Rockets, still playing without their three centers, controlled the boards. Anderson had burned his former team for a game-high 21 points.

But while the Rockets might survive a poor shooting night from one of their top two scorers, they could not win with both struggling.

"I feel really bad," Mobley said. "We got a super job from Maurice, Carlos and Kenny. The big men got the job done. Steve and myself are supposed to be the guys everybody looks up to. But we both shot badly. We had open shots. I'm kind of disappointed in myself.

"But I thought Shandon's was in. When he missed it, I was shocked. When I took mine, all I could think was, `It's going in.' "

But given the rest of the night, that should have been the best clue it wouldn't.

------------------
    "Christ, it's not as if Steve pissed on a guy!!!!!" -- cson makes a return to my quotable sig as he comments on how Steve Francis should not be T'd up for slapping the backboard on a dunk...speak loudly cson, you rock!

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I am truly disturbed by that article. I'm starting to think that Rudy and Mobley have a thing going on....

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Rudy wants CUttino to lose the games, so francis will get mad at mobley. They lose the friendship, rudy trades Mobley and some package for a goood player. Francis doesnt cry and its all good.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So ZRB, are Feigan, Rudy and Mobley all stunting the development of Francis. I love that quote of yours!

You all just look for Mobley to blame, too much. That shot was fine from my seats. Mobley just needs to make more of those. Shandon blew it, if anyone did.

The difference between Mobley and Shandon is, the defense does not give Mobley those open shots in the last minute that are Shandon's luxury, and that fact means that Feigan and Rudy have the company of the opponents coaches to say who is the biggest threat in the end. Mobley doesn't miss what Shandon got a look at, and when the "scramble" at the end with 5.5 seconds left, only Mobley shows the sure fire ability to "get his feet under him" for a good look.

It was a shot. And those two guys "guarding him" (as some claim) had no chance to stop the shot. He just missed it. Is he Reggie Miller yet. NO!!!! But pretty soon he will know that the defense cannot block these last shots of him, and then the...world...will...slow....down, and he will hear nothing, and he will see only the rim....

....and Mobley will make that shot!

get over it and route for the one guy who can always get that balanced shot off at the end no matter what the defense throws at him.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 07, 2001).]

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Look, I don't know how many games I have seen where the Rockets need a last second shot, and Cuttino throws up a heave. Every time Francis handles the ball in crunch time, something good happens. That shot in Vancouver, that Denver game when he created for Hakeem and then got fouled. Wait, thats it, because he almost never gets the ball when he needs it. Rudy should have benched Mobley. There is no way he should be allowed to take 16 shots if he is having such a good night.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

6. heypartner

that is not a "heave". Neither was that "heave" against LA.

And I don't see what you see in Francis to say he is money in the end. Mobley is money and has proven it. Especially when you count the whole last minute, and not just the "scramble" shots that he must take, because no one else can get one off. Francis often fumbles it away in the end.

Look, the last time Rudy gave Francis the last look (Denver), he dribbled into a double team on the baseline, ignored Bullard rolling, stopped his FREAKING dribble, and shot an air ball. That is FOUR freaking big time mistakes in one play. Coaches do not forget that, because it means the player is not...slowing...down...the...world in his mind and so cannot make money decisions, yet.

Oh, I guess you say it is because Mobley, Rudy and Feigan are stunting the development of Francis by not letting him stop his dribble in traffic more often with 5 seconds left. You know, that is astonishing to see just once. You don't need to see it again. There is a reason why Mobley has the ball in the end and not Francis. It is because Mobley is better at one-on-one than Francis.

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

great Post HP, in mean really great.

your comments make me re-assess my view that I took from yesterday that Rockets fans really just criticise and thats it.

Good to see someone actually think it through and also think of the larger picture.

My view on it is if the rockets want to live by winning games on the last shot then this will happen regularly, shooting percentages dictate that about half the time we will lose and half the time we wil have the last second glory that all yall criticisers want.

Instead why don't they just outplay their opposition for the whole game, which would mean not giving up there 10 lead they had yesterday.

Remeber if we live by the sword, we will also die by the sword, especially when the sword is young inexperienced players, and even more so when the sword is required to hit game winner from outside.

Some questions for the criticisers

Did Bull and Shandon both miss open looks?
    Were Cat's other 3 threes that helped win games heaves?

Well done HP, you're a legend.

Smeg

------------------
    "What is it with this girl, has she got beer flavoured nipples??"
    - Heath Ledger in 10 things I hate about you

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Good post SmeggySmeg...I mean heypartner...wait--aren't they the same person? Seriously, good posts.

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

This isn't about how the Rockets should play all their games. This is about how they should play when they are in a close game. (they do happen, you know)
    Mobley has hit one or two clutch shots over his career, and missed many more. Francis rarely gets clutch shots, and that is a problem. Francis was injured in that Denver game, and made a mistake with that shot. Has he done it again since?
    Mobley, on the other hand, did the EXACT same thing as he did in the Laker game. He threw up a shot with no chance of going in, with 3 defenders in his face, and plenty of time left. Shandon may have missed that shot, but at least it was a good look. It had a good chance and just rimmed out. Francis might have missed had he gotten the last shot, but it would have been a much better look, and had a much better chance of going in.

------------------

10. heypartner

ZRB you are in denial. There were not 3 defenders in his face, and there was a pick for him. The defenders did not effect the shot at all. Read the article...you're just making this up. And the Laker shot was very open because the defender guarded the quick drive, he only had to step back beyond the arc. The step back is what made it look difficult.

Rudy has now said twice that he likes those two shots you complain about. Those were the 3 point shots he wanted. And i happen to completely agree.

You are also in denial about Mobley being money in the last 2 minutes. You do not evaluate money guys by last second shots alone. They are all important in the last 2 minutes. Mobley has proven to Rudy he can deliver in the last two minutes, so he gets the majority of last second shots. Makes sense to me. And don't forget, only a 3 pointer can be shot in the 2 games you talk about. Those are difficult to get off in the last second in the NBA, and Mobley makes them look easy and under control.

ZRB, it is fine you don't like Mobley. But don't make things up, like that was a bad shot when Rudy says it wasn't. Why? And don't be two-faced...for instance, you say here that Francis's Denver last second shot (which is the worst attempt I've seen this year) is excusable because he was hurt. Yet, you said before that Cuttino should not have taken the LA shot because he was hurt. In fact, you said he should sit his ass down if he's hurt, yet Francis was fine being in there and hurt, too. Why is Francis excusable, and Mobley isn't, especially since Francis's outcome was really, really bad...for christsakes he stopped his dribble with his back to the basket, double-teamed, and Bullard unguarded 10 feet away. That is such a bad, bad last second attempt. Really bad; the worst of the year. You are clearly biased.

Now tell me I'm wrong about your comments. This could become a fun hobby for me to show your clear bias. What do you think Mango, Smeggy, TheFreak? Can we undress some Mobley-haters?

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 07, 2001).]

11. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I am not biased. I do not hate Mobley. I want him to succeed because he is a Rocket. I do hate the way he is allowed to take all the important shots, despite better options. He is a decent shooter at best, and should not get so many shots.
    He needs to learn to pass the ball when there are better options. The Francis shot was a bad one, granted. But at least it wasn't his shooting that was injured.

------------------

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't mind the shot either, heck someone has to take it, and Cuttino is just like Mad Max, he is liable to make it.

The only bone I have with the Rockets is their lack of defensive intensity.

How can you let John Stockton get to the rack over and over again. It is simply a pick, where is the weakside help?

Our defenders need to take some time and learn how to play help defense, you seal from the INSIDE out.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from Monkeys and Apes, then why are there still Monkeys and apes?

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

You da man Dadakota

------------------
    "What is it with this girl, has she got beer flavoured nipples??"
    - Heath Ledger in 10 things I hate about you

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I think Dreamshake forgot his password and became ZRB.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

15. Since75

Since75 Member

HeyP, Who's the better player, Mobley or Francis? If your answer is Mobley, I won't need to respond further. If it's Francis, I will need a lot of clarity provided by you.

------------------

16. haven

haven Member

To me, the fact that Rudy claimed he didn't mind the shot is irrelevant. For all we know, he's just being supportive of a player... probably doesn't want to cause a dispute. It seems that Rudy very rarely criticizes a player publicly.

As for HP's claim that the shot was good on the merits, I simply don't see it... although I do recognize that you may be right. To me, Mobley shoots too low of a percentage to take a shot from 25 feet with someone guarding him fairly closely.

Mobley has hit shots to win games. He's also missed some. I certainly wouldn't call him a proven "clutch" performer. I'd rather give the ball to Francis... might as well let our best player have the ball with 5 secs left.

------------------
    Shandon Anderson rocks.
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

17. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

it is Stevie's responsibility as the team leader and more importantly as the PG to take the shots when he wants them.
    Bottom line is Mobley isn't afraid to take the shot and on sportscenter it looked like a good look.
    Until Stevie starts taking that shoty somebody needs to take it. Apparently stevie doesn't want to be the goat or the hero.
    I guess my point is to not criticize Mobley, not many players have the heart to take the final shot. MJ missed many last second shot.

18. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Mobley said, "We got a super job from Maurice, Carlos and Kenny. The big men got the job done. Steve and myself are supposed to be the guys everybody looks up to.

I'm sick of this boy claiming himself a go-to guy. I don't mean he isn't, but he doesn't have to say it every time the press interviews him.

[​IMG]

------------------

19. heypartner

Like I've said before, I do not really measure players. I measure success of the plays by the team. Mobley plays succeed more than Francis in the 4th quarter by the Rockets own quantitative measurement. Just ask Jim Boylen who has him clocked at 60% success rate.

Here's the quote
    So Since75 and ZRB, does it piss you off that Boylen and the Rockets coaches think Mobley plays succeed more than Francis plays in the 4th quarter.

Francis is still learning to run an offense. Maybe he could play the SG better than Mobley. He isn't as fast, but his hops could make up for that. But right now, it is pretty clear to me that Mobley is a better one-on-one player than Francis. Of course, that is all that means and one-on-one does not make you a better player. Why ask me to say if the SG is better than the PG. Mobley is clearly better at getting the team scoring opportunities in the 4th quarter. Francis has a tendency to bog down as the defense focuses more on him. That is a fact, confirmed by Jim Boylen who counts that fact. Plus, from my years in bball, Francis's Denver fiasco is typical of someone who is nervous to get his number called in the end.

Francis can undoubtedly improve his 4th quarter success, but I think you count too much what you think his potential is than what the coaches are measuring. To me, there is no question that Mobley is better at getting us scoring opportunities in the 4th quarter. That is a statistical fact, and much more objective comment by me than any claim the Francis would run the last minute opps better. I love Francis, and I agree he has enormous potential. But he is not getting us into transition, that really disappoints me.

And Since75, how can you argue with 60% success rate...geeze. That is enourmous.

Read this from Rudy:
    Let me ask you this: why am I anti-Francis by pointing out statistical facts together with my subjective opinions. And why do people take offense to it if I say Cuttino rocks and is an outstanding player? Why do we polarize each other like that? Cuttino rocks in the 4th.

I'll tell you what, why don't you just say Heypartner Sucks for being objective. Or say Rudy is lying. You guys are seeing potential, not the full 4th Q results, imo.

I don't get it. It is like Mobley's success bothers people for some reason. Like it is a personal affront to your opinions or something. I love Francis, especially when he learns to run a fastbreak. Mobley does his thing very well, though. Enjoy it! or deal with it!

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 08, 2001).]

20. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

HeyP, I don't know if you're understating the obvious or what. This board is full of negativity, even when things are going well. When things are going bad, people need someone or something to blame. Mobley is an easy target because of his continuing comments about being the leader and then exhibiting poor judgement. I agree that he is the best one on one player on the Rockets, but I do not think he is very smart and don't like seeing the ball in his hands with time running out. I rarely see him make a good decision except for when he puts the ball in the hole or draws a foul. On tv replays, it looked like Steve was wide open, but it was hard to tell for sure. It probably wasn't a bad shot he put up, but it sure wouldn't be surprising if he passed up a better one to an open Steve who had a hot hand in the 4th.

------------------