1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy ain't happy with this one

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old School, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Old School

Old School Member

From the Chron:

"We were horrible," said Tomjanovich, whose team committed 16 turnovers. "I have no reason. I can't understand why. It was about, without using profanity, the blankety-blank-blank as I've felt about this team, because that's just not the guys I know who have fought all year.

"Today they weren't the guys that I thought I knew."

"We've got to move on, but this is going to be a hard one," he said. "That was not what I expected from our guys. If it was like that before, then I wouldn't be surprised and so hurt by this one."

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Especially after they just had this talk about them needing to lead the team, such a performance is even more disappointing.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Some people lead, others follow. You can't ask a follower to be a leader.

I don't think Francis has what it takes upstairs to be a leader, at least not yet.

DaDakota

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

woah woah woah, mark down the time. 12:48 am, march 29, 2002. Dadakota criticizes steve. you'll probably never see that again folks.

although after a game like this bad stuff should be said about everyone probably. luckily i couldn't get into the chat to hear about this one.

5. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you. During the game, Calvin said that being a leader sometimes means being isolated and that it is a hard thing to have to tell your friend he is messing up. Maybe the close friendships on the team, while conducive to good chemistry help inhibit leadership. In other words, maybe Francis isn't stepping up because he doesn't want to hurt his friends. Anyway, I am not trying to find excuses. I just hold out hope Francis can lead this team. . . Or at least, in a few years, Griffin will pop somebody in the face and establish leadership. :D

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's interesting to mention. After the Jazz game, Francis did exactly that, criticizing the bench for their lack of production. I think his private meeting with Rudy (which I think actually happened before the Jazz game, though it was reported after) is what inspired that criticism. I don't think it was well-done because he played poorly down the stretch himself. So I think Francis may be making a conscious effort to take that mantle by calling people out.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This does not work unless you call yourself out every once in awhile, or unless you are Jordan, Magic, Bird or Hakeem, who really had no faults.

We are going on 3yrs now and I've never read Quote 1 from Francis criticizing himself for mistakes, uninspired 1st quarters, choking 4ths, or having an all-around bad night. He either has an excuse or he uses the collective "We." Stevie: it happens. Be a man and admit it. It is like Francis says in the Insider Article that was posted in another thread...

"I can take the criticism....in one ear and out the other."

uh...so can your teammates when you publicly deflect blame away from yourself. You do not have to lead through the newspaper Steve. We don't need to read you criticizing teammates. If you want to play the Bull Durham media quote game, tou need to deflect blame AWAY from your teammates, if you want to be a leader. Otherwise, "in one ear and out the other."

btw: who is starting to see Griffin showing ZERO hustle, lately. I mean, no hustle. Maybe he caught some contagious disease that contricts a heart of a champion. If so, I wonder who he caught that disease from.

Don't stop playing. Let the coaches tank by playing Langhi and installing new plays that are complicated. But don't tank as individuals. That is what Clipper's do.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

crispee-Griff looks like he's going through the motions.

Who knows the reason? It could be his ankles are not 100%. It could be the length off an NBA season getting to him. It could be no shot of the playoffs and standing on the 3 point line. Or it could be he's frustrated with standing around watching Moochie dribble when he's open, getting waved off inside, and playing garbage minutes.

I've noticed all season Griffin never shows much in garbage minutes-he'll shoot open shots, but he won't go out of his way. There's an easy cure for that-start winning.

And I'd really like to see Death to Moochie....I mean Smoochie.

9. heypartner

btw NIKE: did you tape the Utah 1st Quarter!!

bingo! There were some new plays directed by Kenny in there. If you've noticed, Rudy usually pulls out the new plays slowly with this team, in the 1st Quarter, right out of the lockerroom, with all the starters on the court.

It's almost like his pregame is:

Rudy: "OK, we are going to try Double Down today."

Francis/Cuttino: "Huh? Is double the same as 2? Because we always run plays with a 2 in it."

Rudy: "Stevie, it's OK if you don't remember. Those migraines do that. That's why it is just another one of those plays where we use you as a decoy in the corner. But Cuttino, you have to remember this. You get to shoot."

Mobley: "That's right, no one can stop me."

Francis: "But do I still get to do my Triple Cross-Over play, later."

Rudy: "Sure, anything you want."

Cato: "Yeah, I like that play; I get a lot of alley-oops, sometimes."

Moochie: "I can do that play, too."

Kenny: ":rolleyes:"

Rudy: "Cat, Double Down is for Kenny to run though. You remember, right. Here, stand here, and Cato you stand here. Now Francis pass the ball to Kenny and clear out, and Cato you drop down and pick for Cat."

Francis: "Man, this is silly, I don't even have my shoes on, yet."

Mobley: "Is that my cell phone."

Mr. Mean: ":mad:"

Rudy: "Guys, look. We have tape from last practice, watch it again. We have 10 minutes before game time. I want to run this at least twice."

Kenny: "Don't worry; I'll run it right. And if the play busts, Cat and Stevie running around will distract the defense and I'll just do my Raging Bull move."

Rudy: "That's right. So, Cuttino, come into my office, and I'll show you the play in slow motion a few more times, and even how Utah runs it."

Cuttino: "Can I control the remote this time."

Francis: "Utah can't beat me. We just got bad calls at the end."

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

ROTFLMFAO!!!

However, that whole post was great.

Thanks for the chuckle, crispee.

11. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I hate to say I told you so, but I actually did call Wink out a long time now. People had all kind of excuses even suggested I follow another team. In fact there was a new poster, Birdfan, who also called him out. No denying he is a special talent but it is good to see that more of you would now agree that my offseason prescription for Stevie is in fact very appropriate and necessary. Lock him in a room to watch 8 - 10 hours a day of Magic, Stockton, Thomas and Kidd. For some, this may sound like a broken record but hopefully someone gets to Wink before it is too late. There is only so much patience the coaches, players and fans are going to have with Wink when he continues to do the same "nono's": e.g. dribble into double teams and taking ill-advised shots. I have so many instances where a young point guard comes and calmly shows us what Wink should be doing and last night was no exception.

Boy the body language last night is the worst I have seen it in a while. I must say Rudy has the longest fuse. He did put Wink back in the game to play with lower bench.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

crispee-The first quarter in Utah was great. Part of it was because we were hot-we were hitting shots we usually miss.

I've also noticed that Cato is usually getting the ball a couple times at the top of the key, in a position to pass, usually with the Rockets running a couple off the ball screens.

I'd like to see EG get a chance to do some of that...maybe next year.

Great read, crispee-when do you return to heypee?

13. heypartner

DearRock,

imo, watching the bench and seeing Rudy's body language...he benched Francis last night in the 3rd, and made him ask to be put back into the game. That is a common coaching strategy. It is a test. That star better ask to be put back in and play with hustle like Gerald Wallace did, or the **** is going to hit the fan.

I the **** did hit the fan. I've *NEVER* read quotes like that from Rudy. I just dropped my jaw. Read Old School's quotes again. Rudy is livid with Stevie for that game. That doesn't happen unless it has been building. And don't start with "he didn't say Steve." Contrast this with the "Leadership" article a few days ago, where Rudy doesn't want to be the one to speak anymore, the leaders should do that. Yup, unless it is the "leader" who you need to speak about.