1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rubio, McCain, other Senators reach deal on immigration changes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 28, 2013.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/28/3204447/rubio-senate-gang-of-eight-unveil.html

The immigration plan Florida Sen. Marco Rubio has touted for the past month is finally taking shape as he and seven other U.S. senators unveil a framework of the plan Monday.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/28/3204447/rubio-senate-gang-of-eight-unveil.html#storylink=cpy

By Marc Caputo
    mcaputo@MiamiHerald.com
    A group of eight Democratic and Republicans senators, including Florida’s Marco Rubio, will officially release a wide-ranging immigration plan Monday that could give a pathway to citizenship, tighten border security and increase guest-worker permits.
    The five-page plan from the bipartisan “Gang of Eight” contains most of the key concepts Rubio has presented to conservative media figures over the past month. The senators, still working on the specifics, want to draft legislation by March.
    Most controversially, the proposal would give a pathway to residency — and even citizenship — to many of the estimated 11 million immigrants unlawfully in the United States.
    While some conservatives call it amnesty, Rubio says it’s not because the immigrants would have to pay fines, back taxes and undergo a criminal background check — a similar proposal made by President Barack Obama in May 2011.
    “We can’t round up millions of people and deport them,” Rubio wrote Sunday in the Las Vegas Review Journal, the home paper of Democratic Senate leader Harry Reid.
    “But we also can’t fix our broken immigration system if we provide incentives for people to come here illegally — precisely the signal a blanket amnesty would send,” Rubio wrote.
    Those undocumented immigrants granted legal residency wouldn’t have access to welfare at first; nor would they be eligible for citizenship until 1) those who legally applied before them get their citizenship and 2) the borders are verified as secure.
    Conservative commentator Mickey Kaus bashed the "Rubio bill" on Twitter as a "con."
    "Con at heart of Rubio bill-Undocumented are legalized immediately! Not going to be kicked out if enforcement’s degraded," Kaus wrote.
    The proposal also seeks to give special consideration to farm laborers, high-tech workers and young people who were brought illegally to the U.S. as children. The latter proposal stops short of the DREAM Act for college- and military-bound undocumented immigrants.
    The Gang of Eight’s plan rests on four "pillars:"

1. Create a tough but fair path to citizenship for unauthorized immigrants currently living in the United States that is contingent upon securing our borders and tracking whether legal immigrants have left the country when required.

2. Reform our legal immigration system to better recognize the importance of characteristics that will help build the American economy and strengthen American families.

3. Create an effective employment verification system that will prevent identity theft and end the hiring of future unauthorized workers.

4. Establish an improved process for admitting future workers to serve our nation’s workforce needs, while simultaneously protecting all workers.

The plan is just a framework. So many of the hard details concerning how long people would wait for citizenship, how the border is declared secure and roughly how much it would all cost will have to be worked out in the coming months.
    The Senate legislation, whenever it’s drafted, will also spell out how the visa process would be streamlined, what new types of work permits would be available and how the government plans to stop businesses from hiring illegal immigrants.

2. rage

rage Member

I like how the Republican are so quick to come to an agreement, just so they can get the Hispanic votes. I just want to point out to the Hispanics voters that they get what they want because they did not vote for the Republican. If they voted for the Repub, they would have been taken for granted like they always have.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Exactly. Republicans caved because their behinds are raw from the spanking Hispanics gave them in November. This is pure self-interest.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Position of most Republicans has always been making immigration easy as possible and making illegal immigration hard as possible. Whenever a tax hike occurs in another country you will always find Republicans making a case for those citizens to come to America. Nothing has changed.

Democrats still try to paint that silly Republican anti-immigration, racist stereotype they always do (see above posts)

It's immoral but it still works.

#4 tallanvor, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

McCain has always been pro immigration reform. Don't know much about Rubio's stance since he's rather green. I would like to see what the other republicans in the house think of it.

6. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I don't see the word "republicans" in those quotes. Would you mind bolding that for me, I may be getting bad eyes in my old age.

...Or, Obama didn't say republican. He made a true statement that applies to some people. Are you saying that his statement doesn't apply to anyone in America?

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This looks like a good compromise bill to get immigration reform going. I would like to see the provisions of it match the Dream act though.

8. Orange

Orange Member

Im not sure what race you are but im a Minority who use to vote Republican and trust me its not some magical fantasy Dems are making up. There are far too many Republicans who are Racist, I dont need anyone from the media telling me that I can see it for myself. If your white than you probably would not understand.

9. Major

Major Member

Ummm, this quote by Obama was referring to rural Democrats who leaned towards Hillary. It was stated in a primary in the context of trying to broaden his appeal and show them why his policies would benefit them. Sad when you have to use quotes out of context referring to a totally different group to try to make your point.

10. tallanvor

Who gives a **** what race or religion I am. I am familiar with prejudice and bigotry and know what it looks like.

it is in reference to the Midwest.

11. Orange

Orange Member

Well that explains why all of a sudden many minorities who use to vote republican and not shifting to the other side. Sometimes it Does not even matter which party will help you economically, you can only stand a group of people demonizing you for so long before you stop and think why the F*** am I supporting these people who hate me???

12. Orange

Orange Member

The republicans have lost about 20% of the Hispanics that use to vote for them, I know you want to convince yourself or other that they are just the "takers" and are "lazy" but unless you like the racism in the republican party you have to realize it is a problem and its losing you elections.

13. tallanvor

You failed to make one argument that Republicans are some how racist (or more racist than Democrats). You failed to counter my contention that Republicans have supported easier immigration laws for years.

What you managed to do was throw out some hate. If you want to call a group of people racist then you dam well better be able to back it up. That's called morals.

Again. no argument by you.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a great post at trying to ignore the facts. By saying that it was about the Midwest, Doc Tal still not acknowledging the fact that it was about Democrats.

I could just say it was about Americans. It would be true, but it wouldn't be as accurate as what Major pointed out.

15. Major

Major Member

Yes - in reference to Democratic primary voters in the midwest. As opposed to your claim of attempting to make Republicans look racist.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh there's lots of examples showing Republicans to me more racist than Democrats. There's also even more evidence showing that whether or not they are racist they enact legislation that targets and punishes certain races more than others.

1. The last Republican president appointed a racist to head the civil rights division of the justice department, and hired other racists as part of the justice department.

2. They killed the Dreams act.

3. They enacted voting legislation designed to keep blacks from voting this past election.

4. They have members like Rand Paul who is against the civil rights amendment.

Apparently you don't know what racism looks like.

17. tallanvor

No it's in reference to everyone in the Midwest who likes guns and religion. They are the 'bitter-clingers'

#17 tallanvor, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  18. Orange

Orange Member

Well im telling you from expirience that me and my girlfriend always voted for Republicans, but because of the racism I see and hear from Republicans I switched to voting from Democrats. I do not feel like looking for examples for you to see. I am not alone many people feel this way and thats they have switched. Like I said if you dont see it as a problem its because it does not affect you because your probably white. I dont see Republicans winning any presidential elections any time soon with the way they act racist and then act like its not even going on.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Much like it took a while for blacks to embrace Obama, since he did not share their culture in his upbringing (raised by his white mom, Indonesian step dad, white grandparents, Hawaii, Ivy league, etc), I predict hispanics will embrace Rubio, even though he is of Cuban descent and not like the mostly Mexican decent hispanics in the US. Many might even vote for him just because "he's hispanic". Remember many voted for Obama primarily since he was half black...

20. tallanvor

If you can't tell me off the top of your head why Republicans are racist then don't call them racist. Basic morals, don't use that word unless you can back it up.

Orange: I know the Republicans are racist, but let me go look up on the internet why I know they're racist.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You are exactly the type of voter Obama is going after when he make insinuations that Republicans are racist.