1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 17, 2012.

1. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Wow. No, just no...

Those two are arguably the two most physically gifted and talented players in the NBA, and you just put Royce White in their class.... SMH

postbadlee I see your living up to your reputation...

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Has the size and athleticism, just needs the mindset.
    6'8, 270lbs. Can bring the ball up the floor. Can shoot threes. Have been known to play the three.
    Now you are telling me that if he lost about 20lbs and worked on his shot, he wouldn't be better?
    I mean, after all, Blake Griffin is nothing but a dunking highlight, anyway. How hard can that be?

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

My first thought was this kid was a knucklehead and I wanted nothing to do with him. But after watching this video makes me think he may not be such a knucklehead. One interview doesn't clear everything up. But this kid has too much talent to ignore him. Yeah we don't need another PF or SF right now but we didn't need another pg 3 weeks ago and man how I wish we had Jeremy Lin.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K93XMV_ys84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thanks for the find Carl. This guy is going on my draft board. He would be perfect playing center in McHale's small ball line-up.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Good work in the paint. Great passing ability.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AdYRh5oEJ4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

His ceiling seems like Kevin Durant + Charles Barkely. I think he's going to be to be an all-star PF even though he's only 6'8" in shoes. :) :p

On a serious note, I've only seen highlights, but he comes across as a very likeable guy. Count me in on the bandwagon.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2dMWH4RCk-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty sick.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sps0J1jgses" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This kid was dominate against many of the top ranked forwards and centers in this draft.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Maybe I'm old but he reminds me of Barkley in college.
    Better shooter and passer though.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Just in watching his build and the way he moves, he reminds me some of Barkley or Artest. That first highlight ("Royce White. Unreal" clip against Baylor) is very impressive... to be able to make your post move without really having the ball yet is something.

I have this feeling he may be better than many think, though it's hard to say if indeed he has a lot of issues off the floor. He's definitely soaring up the charts lately.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As much as i hate to say it, i think he will end up in the lottery. I'm thinking between 9-12. We probably won't get that high of a pick. Unless, of, course, we trade for it.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

What about a shorter, less athletic Chris Webber? We're talking college games here, so I don't think anyone will ever surpass Chris Webber in all the things he could bring to the table in college, but just imagine that guy in a Rick Adelman offense.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The mental problem is the only thing holding him back.

13. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

Agreed. Aside from this, Royce White is an undersized NBA 4-man who lacks the athletic ability to play the 3 at this level.

I'm tired of "tweeners". We have had enough of them on this roster, and look where it's gotten us.

We need our 1st Round pick(s) in 2012 to have STAR potential.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You don't think a 6'8 270 lb. 20 year old forward who can bring it up the floor, shoot threes, collect rbds and pass like a PG can develop into a star??

15. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

I think the same of Marcus Morris, even though he and Royce have different skill sets. He gets garbage time right now. The Rockets aren't giving Morris a chance to show what he can do, and I fear if we drafted White, much of the same would be done to him (D League, stapled to bench, etc).

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I see your point, but i see White as a power 4. Morris, who has lost some weight, will likely stay at the three. I don't think White is agile enough to defend NBA threes.

18. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

James Johnson meets Boris Diaw

19. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Wow, 49% from the FT line? The guy lacks confidence it seems. Coming here wouldn't do him much good. Putting players in the D-League and burying them on the bench. Not the kind of atmosphere a kid like him needs in order to thrive.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

At 20 years old he has way too much upside to be in the D-league long. He is the perfect project for Mchale.
    Just imagine if Royce White, with that skillset, were 6'8 250lbs......
    http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1966/lebron-james

A guy can dream the possible.