1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White surprises radio station with call, says plan is to join D-League on Feb 11 (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 23, 2013.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

From an operational standpoint. I'm not sure why that's not understood. Going back to the school analogy, if you're going on a field trip and want to ride separately with someone else, your teacher can't sign off on that. She may come back with an answer for you, but he or she would have gone to a vice principal or principal first to get it.

On the other hand, if she wants to move a test date within the school's guidelines, she doesn't need permission.

Royce was only speaking about basketball operations, not on the court.

He does grasp it. He's saying that's why it was easier to deal with his anxiety in college vs the pro level. In college his coach had more control, so if he agreed with Royce, that was that. In the NBA, it's not a one step process, so that's why it's been harder for them to put something together.

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I bet the Vipers are so excited.

1 person likes this.
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

"mchale doesn't run this team"

Its official. So let's stop the 'fire mchale Bs'

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No he is not. In a business structure, McHale is White's supervisor. If White sees any coach as an equal, that is a problem.

To further explain, if my co-worker tells me to do something, I may get my immediate supervisor involved to determine if that is the best way to spend my time. If my immediate supervisor tells me to do something, I do it.

5. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

last i checked, they are both humans
    and what was that about all men being created equal

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I listened to 610 for a few minutes earlier today, maybe an hour after hearing this interview.

The hosts said the Rockets and Royce already reached an agreement for him to play for the D-league a couple of weeks ago (this is not the initial D-league assignment situation much earlier) and released a press statement about it. But Royce backed out of that.

I haven't paid close attention. Was that the case? If so, this Feb 11 agreement doesn't carry much weight.

Anyways, I think a lot of us would have a different perspective if it weren't for Royce's tweets. He sounds agreeable in the live interviews - when he has to face immediate reactions/consequences for his answers with the interviewer.

But on Twitter he has total control of the conversation - and he's just antagonistic.

7. bobrek

Do you have a job? Do you listen to your boss when he asks/tells you to do something?

In the human race, White and McHale are equals. In a business structure, it goes Alexander->Morey->McHale->players.

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

So tell me what you think the point of this quote was? To give us all an obvious lesson that a coach doesn't control the business side of a franchise? :confused:

It clearly comes across that he has some issue with McHale or with coaches in general.

9. brooksstephens

I don't know... even in this interview, something about him strikes me as extremely arrogant. Just rubs me the wrong way.

10. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

He was just giving folks an example of the type of authority a coach has. Decisions he's able to make.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

If McHale barely even remembers who White is, then how knowledgeable do you think White is on how much control/interaction McHale has on the team (which he isn't and has never been apart of)?

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The point was to answer he question he was asked. It's not like he just threw it out there to make McHale look less in control. He was asked what was done in college to make it work and why the same can't just be done with the Rockets. The difference was it was a one step process to get things cleared. Also, Hoiberg already sympathized with Royce because of his own health issue. Take away Hoiberg's sympathy or control and perhaps it would have been harder for them to come to an agreement in college, but with both, it worked out perfectly for White. That's not the case in the NBA and probably wouldn't have been the case at a different college where the coach had less or no control and no sympathy.

This is how some people are reading his quote:

But he actually said this:

13. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...agreement-with-royce-white-to-return-to-team/

14. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I despise Royce. Absolutely despise him. I'm very sorry to hear that the Rockets are going to reward him for his behavior.

15. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

Whether you're a "die hard" Rockets fan, or not a fan at all. I hope after hearing this interview some of you realize how ignorant you are as an individual. Be it a comment posted here and/or via twitter. Take a look in the mirror and analyze your own flaws. Some of things I've seen Royce retweet from some of you were demonic.

16. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

This isn't college basketball. Very few coaches in the NBA have much say at the business and operational levels, unless your Phil Jackson or Gregg Popovich. Coaches can be fired just as quick as players can be traded.

This is especially true for Kevin McHale's situation because he really is just a transitional coach for us. He's just getting things set up for Chris Finch.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This will end badly. Don't be fooled.

18. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

White has to take responsibility for the public perception of this whole drama. He is the one who made this a public escapade and kept it in the public.

I think is intelligence and articulate speaking is what got the Rockets to roll the dice. Compare his radio/interview persona to his twitter activity. It is like two different people. The closest he comes to an admission is "I am a combustible guy" and he does what he is gonna do. After acknowledging he was blowing up, he ducks and hides behind not being "politically correct" -- the shield for someone one who doesn't want to own up to their comments.

Interviewers let him slide. He is a good interview. He says reasonable things, at that moment, but folks haven't cut through his BS. My step father was a bipolar nut case. He the most charismatic and amazing person, when he wasn't going nuts. But if you were perceptive, you could cut through it. He couldn't hold up to scrutiny, you just had to get through his platitudes.

And why take this public? Didn't he just combust on the Rockets for taking their last negotiation public? There is no need to educate the public or say people jus that've him all wrong. He is the one who has been going nutty on twitter for months. Just take responsibility for your actions Mr. White. People see the you you present.

Lastly, White just said we will wait and see how the Feb. 11 thing works. He says that is the plan, but made no promises. The big takeaway for me is that he seems consistent with a draft profile a journalist who knew him did in which the writer stated White has serious trust issues and wants order, but will change his mind at the last moment and can be unpredictable or as White describes it "I like to do spontaneous stuff."

19. bobrek

But White is wrong. Workers seen as equals (co-workers) can make similar decisions. If he thinks McHale is a co-worker, then White is wrong. McHale is his supervisor and if he tells White to do something, White needs to understand that McHale does have authority to tell him to do stuff (at least as it pertains to the practicing and playing of basketball).

20. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

He was speaking of NBA coaches in general. What does an NBA player having insight of what goes on in the NBA (with the classes, conferences, meetings etc. that all players have to participate in) have to do with a players personal relationship with his coach?