1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. thething

thething Contributing Member

Royce White has too much talent to be cut. He could still pan out to be a really good player in this league.

Our best option is to wait out all the growing pains through this and hope that he eventually gets it together. At this point the risk/reward ratio is still in our favor. The draft pick is a sunk cost.

2. thething

thething Contributing Member

They can fine him or suspend him without pay if they have reason to do so. That may not be helpful to him becoming a good basketball player, though.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How would it benefit the Rockets if they don't pay him?

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

lol Royce deleted my response to one of his tweets. freaking coward.

5. daernoth

daernoth Member

Hard to tell if that was the appropriate response if you don't post what your tweet said. :p

6. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

wait... how'd he delete your response?

7. Dei

Dei Member

They save money? Possibly cap space?

8. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Larry Coon's legendary CBA FAQ says this:

80% of White's Salary is $1,316,352 for this season, and $1,375,584 next season.

9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

They also lose respect around the league.

10. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Worst part of the Chron article...

[rquoter]Motiejunas and Machado both said they had no issues with the move and looked forward to getting the playing time they were not getting with the Rockets. Morris was unhappy with the decision last season, but endorses it now, a point he made to Machado and Motiejunas.

“I just said, ‘Don’t take it as a demotion. Just go down there and play,’ “ Morris said. “It’s a chance to get some time on the court. They’re young. I know they’re going to take it like a demotion. You don’t like to go down, but I took it as a chance to show them I’m not supposed to be there. I took it as a chance to separate myself, to show them why I got drafted and I’m above these guys.

“None of us have seen Royce. He didn’t come to the game and missed three or four practices. We haven’t seen him. I text him all the time, make sure he’s doing fine, but he hasn’t texted back.”[/rquoter]

Dude has been totally MIA and then thinks it's ok to ignore his teammates and their concern for him...I've tried to be patient and give him the benefit of the doubt, but this guy just seems so incredibly selfish. What a disappointment he's shaping up to be.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

A. The fact that Les even slightly mentioned that there are "internal repercussions" obviously hints that this isn't something that the organization attributes to circumstances regarding his health... mentally or physically. If it was something along those lines, they would have said something along the lines of "because of the nature of such and such, we cannot comment at this time."

So lets just toss that one out.

B. The Rockets are taking the right PR approach. Yes, its more of a distraction to the hardcore fans that follow the team, but to the national media, this is the right approach.

They know that if they show for one second that they aren't backing him, Royce's camp can use the mental health trump card, contact some folks at ESPN, and make the Rockets look extremely terrible on a national level. With so many wins this season already(Harden, Lin, Asik), no point of putting everything they have going for them at risk by calling out Royce nationally.

C. Don't forget the Rockets at the end of the day have the power here. The Rockets will lose a draft pick if he doesn't turn it around, but if Royce refuses to play without an excused absence or injury, the Rockets should have the right legally to dock his pay for time missed, or even void his contract.

I would be interested to see the cap ramifications next season(assuming he counts against the cap this season regardless) if his contract is voided this season. 1.7 mil isn't going to hamstring the Rockets salary cap moving forward, but its worth nothing.

So regardless what happens, if history shows us anything, once folks start missing paychecks, attitudes can change quick. We will then see how serious Royce is about basketball after that happens.

So I say just sit tight and see what happens with this D-League stint. Whatever happens here will tell us all we need to know about Royce's future in the NBA. This situation can only go 1 of 2 ways.

1 person likes this.
  12. Zfan

Zfan Member

He's not the only athlete who suffered from anxiety disorder in professional sport. Europe soccer player Dennis Bergkamp lived with the fear of flying but still achieved a successful career. The schedule of nba might be too tough for White. I recommend him heading to Euro for good money. He can definitely handle the schedule there even traveling by car or train. Also for the best of the Rockets. Please just let him go.

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

cut white and bring back Livingston. I'm all for it.

14. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Ship his arse out already.

15. daernoth

daernoth Member

I hope its still possible to get that man. Still drives me nuts that we let him go.

16. kent335

kent335 Member

Royce, you are handling your situation perfectly. Just like how I handled my situation with the Chargers.

P.S. I can tell you what drugs my doctor gave me. They work!

Ryan Leaf.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wow, we wasted a 1st round draft pick on this kid.

Morey messed up big time.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not surprising, nobody like Marcus. Nobody texts him back. Marcus is sad. :(

But nobody likes him because he thinks he is above other people.

19. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I would j*zz my pants if we did that, no joke.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It bugs me that in pretty much any other job, you could get fired for this kind of behavior, but in the NBA, the players' union would raise hell if this happened.